Spare Tire Question...

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 03:58 PM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jda407
not CPO but can get it from a dealer friend possibly for under $30k. Full service records. just have to decide if I want to roll the dice. Possible to put a 3rd party aftermarket warranty on it...not sure of price or coverage though.
As the late great King Arthur said in the Monty Python version, "Run away".

You will not be able to get decent ext. warranty and since you're a P-car owner and digging around, you should know better.. alpha/beta Cayennes in the 30K range were traded for a reason (original owner doesn't want the risk or it had problems). Most are sold to folks who DON'T read the forums and have a burning desire to own a Porsche over truly investigating the vehicle. Go with a 05 or even 06, they're not at $30K yet.. but you'll spend a lot of time/money/aggravation on a 04 warranty, non-covered parts, new tires, blah blah blah.. again all IMHO....

Don't forget the "old" forum member's mantra... "IF NO CPO, don't spent the Dough".
Old 10-08-2007, 04:01 PM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sigs
BTW 3: No, I'm not bitter about having a friggin' SUV with no decent option for a spare. Just need more Kool-Aid. Actually, I'm thinking about turning that nice hollow area around my subwoofer into a tiny koi pond.
GO TO THE HEAD OF THE CLASS... an instant FORUM CLASSIC!!
Old 10-08-2007, 04:19 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

found a really nice '04 S with a production date of 02/04. would that put it after most problems or am I still in the beta world and "beware"???
According to archealogical records, the beta era of the Cayenne ended post 09/2004 production date.
However, fossil records indicate that some beta genetic defects survived into 05 and 06; however at a very small occurance.

Now, give me your belt and shoe laces.
Old 10-08-2007, 04:28 PM
jda407
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Damn... I wish I could just convince the wife that a baby seat will fit in the '97 993 Cab or the '95 968 Cab. Is that wrong of me???????
Old 10-08-2007, 04:50 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,570 Likes on 982 Posts
Default It's all a matter of your point of view...

Originally Posted by MadFox
As the late great King Arthur said in the Monty Python version, "Run away".

You will not be able to get decent ext. warranty and since you're a P-car owner and digging around, you should know better.. alpha/beta Cayennes in the 30K range were traded for a reason (original owner doesn't want the risk or it had problems). Most are sold to folks who DON'T read the forums and have a burning desire to own a Porsche over truly investigating the vehicle. Go with a 05 or even 06, they're not at $30K yet.. but you'll spend a lot of time/money/aggravation on a 04 warranty, non-covered parts, new tires, blah blah blah.. again all IMHO....

Don't forget the "old" forum member's mantra... "IF NO CPO, don't spent the Dough".

To anyone who has ever owned an Alfa Romeo (especially one from the 1970s like my Spider), the reliability and maintenance issues of a beta Cayenne are minor!
Old 10-08-2007, 05:01 PM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dennis C
To anyone who has ever owned an Alfa Romeo (especially one from the 1970s like my Spider), the reliability and maintenance issues of a beta Cayenne are minor!
Well if you're braggin' Senor Texan... how about a MGB? ... for a teen-ager in the 70's, it was a painful experience as well!
Old 10-08-2007, 05:04 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Damn... I wish I could just convince the wife that a baby seat will fit in the '97 993 Cab or the '95 968 Cab. Is that wrong of me???????
Guaranteed that he snaps when he discovers the "compatibility" issues between a baby seat and the Recall A506 Cowboy Belt Buckle.

Old 10-08-2007, 05:13 PM
jda407
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

so a Taureg is looking better and better. sorry to say. wonder if I can cover the big VW on the front with a porsche emblem....
Old 10-08-2007, 05:20 PM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ltc
Guaranteed that he snaps when he discovers the "compatibility" issues between a baby seat and the Recall A506 Cowboy Belt Buckle.

But as Madeline Kahn said in Blazing Saddles, "oh, et twoo, et twoo!"

and Jda407... it's only money... dig deeper and get to '05 or '06 CPO.
Old 10-08-2007, 07:06 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Well if you're braggin' Senor Texan... how about a MGB? ... for a teen-ager in the 70's, it was a painful experience as well!
Bragging? I wouldn't say that... I think you understand my experience all too well if you've owned an MGB.

I'll never forget driving home one day with my brother in the car, and he said: "do you smell something burning?" That was my first (not my last) introduction to Italian automotive wiring...

What color was the MGB - green?
Old 10-08-2007, 07:13 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

so a Taureg is looking better and better. sorry to say. wonder if I can cover the big VW on the front with a porsche emblem....
What's the problem?
Porsche takes a Touareg and puts their crest on it.

The vehicles are 65%/85% VAG content and labor, so they're a bit hard to distinguish once you get under the skin.........oh, THAT will p!ss some folks off, watch.

The Cayenne has a very high percentage of folks who don't want to go 'naked' (e.g. ownership past 4/50 with no warranty coverage).
Old 10-08-2007, 07:27 PM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Bragging? I wouldn't say that... I think you understand my experience all too well if you've owned an MGB.
I thought when a native Texan spoke anything ... braggin' was required!
I'll never forget driving home one day with my brother in the car, and he said: "do you smell something burning?" That was my first (not my last) introduction to Italian automotive wiring...
Whoa.. there Cowboy Dennis.... I thought electrics burning was the "new car" smell of a MGB.. only thing that overtook it was the mildew smell from the leaky top!
What color was the MGB - green?
What you mean they offered different colors?!
Old 10-08-2007, 10:42 PM
sigs
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Holy Moly, MadFox! Thanks for the trip down memory lane. Back when I was a teenager in the early '70s (this was when I still recognized all of the parts under the hood and before I became a Texan, myself) my best friend and I spent many joyful/painful hours trying to keep his MGB-GT on the road. We finally gave up and wedged an aluminum block V-8 into it, rewiring everything we could. Radio didn't work, turn signals were iffy, not so much in the handling department, but pulling up to a stoplight next to an unsuspecting Mustang was a thing of beauty.

Back to topic - sort of - if you want Texas bragging, let me tell you about my alpha experience with my ML 430...
Old 10-09-2007, 12:39 AM
ozr
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

...read CAREFULLY the END of this thread and links provided:

https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-955-957-2003-2010/370223-what-to-look-for-in-04-cayenne-s.html

...buy used CayenneS 04 (if no budget for 05-06), but skip VW, AUDI...CayenneS 04 built 02/04 is fine, just carefully check dealer repair history records/recalls applied against the LIST of common repairs provided in above link...

...used CayenneS 04 WITHOUT warranty IMHO is a better buy, than VW with the warranty!!!...but you should have ENOUGH courage to buy Cay and do your homework well, selecting the defect free car...

OZRacing
Old 10-09-2007, 01:06 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Default How 'bout them Cowboys!

Originally Posted by sigs
Holy Moly, MadFox! Thanks for the trip down memory lane. Back when I was a teenager in the early '70s (this was when I still recognized all of the parts under the hood and before I became a Texan, myself) my best friend and I spent many joyful/painful hours trying to keep his MGB-GT on the road. We finally gave up and wedged an aluminum block V-8 into it, rewiring everything we could. Radio didn't work, turn signals were iffy, not so much in the handling department, but pulling up to a stoplight next to an unsuspecting Mustang was a thing of beauty.

Back to topic - sort of - if you want Texas bragging, let me tell you about my alpha experience with my ML 430...
For some true Texas bragging... how about them 5-0 Cowboys! It was ugly... but it was a "W".

Now MadFox, if we were to compare repair bills between the Alfa and the MGB, I'd at least be in the running. When the Alfa actually was running, I became quite adept at push starting it with one leg out the door, car in reverse. It was the only way to go when a nice hill wasn't available.

PS - the pic below is obviously not my Alfa, but it looks just like it!
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Spare Tire Question...