Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problems with 08 CTT

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 07:54 PM
99firehawk
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

fist ive heard of 08s with injector problems so so nobody panic yet, we havent even had any apart yet.

as far as coils 08 cars have redesinged coils and heads and are complety diffrent and I dont think that coils will ever be an issue on the 08 cars.
Porsche really did their homework on this one.
Bad engines could happen, but again on a cayenne i wouldnt be concerned.
To date we have changed 2 v8 and 2 v6 engines, being we see and service more cayenens
then anywhere in the world, id say the cayenne engine platforms are pretty bullet proof.
Old 08-07-2007, 09:53 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 99firehawk
..as far as coils 08 cars have redesinged coils and heads and are complety diffrent and I dont think that coils will ever be an issue on the 08 cars..
OK, you're on the record for that one.....EVER be an issue.

..Porsche really did their homework on this one.
So, does that imply that they did NOT do their homework on the 03, 04, 05, 06?
Old 08-07-2007, 10:44 PM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To date we have changed 2 v8 and 2 v6 engines, being we see and service more cayenens then anywhere in the world, id say the cayenne engine platforms are pretty bullet proof.
Mr. Bond may I introduce you to double oh 5! As you say, if not coils then.................?

Could be interesting to see how this plays out ....
or maybe not.
Old 08-07-2007, 10:54 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I need more popcorn
Old 08-07-2007, 11:04 PM
EnigmaWmn
Just call me Pops
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well look at that ... this place becomes alive as soon as someone starts having problems. No, strike that. Problems with '03-'06 are boring and don't get as many replies. In order to get stuff rolling it's gotta have lemon-law potential or be an '08 model

To the OP: Dude/ette, my condolences & hopefully this will get resolved some day.
Old 08-08-2007, 01:05 AM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by EnigmaWmn
Well look at that ... this place becomes alive as soon as someone starts having problems. No, strike that. Problems with '03-'06 are boring and don't get as many replies. In order to get stuff rolling it's gotta have lemon-law potential or be an '08 model To the OP: Dude/ette, my condolences & hopefully this will get resolved some day.
Dearest cell-mate of the Cayenne world.... it is NEVER boring in ANY year of Cayenne ownership... wait... the was in your post.. so sarcasm was missed by your humble servant.. 1000 pardons.
Old 08-08-2007, 01:35 AM
99firehawk
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
OK, you're on the record for that one.....EVER be an issue.

I dont think they will be, you may have sporadic failures, any thing can and will fail, but I dont think it will be
anywhere near common
Remeber I am just a tech and not an engineer

So, does that imply that they did NOT do their homework on the 03, 04, 05, 06?
No I wouldnt say that, I still think they are amazing trucks
Im still looking for one myself ,

Compare any new model, Ill take warning lights over evngine failures anyday,
there are always bugs with new products.
the 05-06 have been great over the 03-04s and i expect the 08+ to only be more reliable yet.
Old 08-08-2007, 03:44 AM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc

Let me join you...

Old 08-08-2007, 09:57 AM
rijk365gtb4
Advanced

I've had a 04 CTT and had my coils twice replaced, so, this is the first thing that came to mind. However, MMC replaced (one side?), but the problem did persist. Then they replaced a lifter(?) from cylinder #8. Now they are replacing the direct fuel injector #8. They have the part, but are waiting now for a special tool that needs to come from Germany.

I never thought that I would miss my 04 CTT with 70K miles........
Old 08-08-2007, 09:58 AM
rijk365gtb4
Advanced

Oh, I forgot. No warning lights are on.
Old 08-08-2007, 10:05 AM
droptop
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default welcome to the wonderful world of 928's.....

which year of those was great?

look, ANYBODY can build a lemon, can be anything from indian camshafts to a bulgarian freighter dropping the container that has the japanese transmissions in it, with yours on the bottom. my personal feeling is that porsche is turning into GM, ready to push you past the warranty w/o fixing it, but thats just me.

initiating lemon law proceedings doesn't mean you are trying to force the car back. what it does is, put them on notice that they really, really, REALLY (what i tell you 3 times is true) need to get the thing fixed, THIS TIME. i had been back 4 times on the tranny, and wanted to get someone from porsche technical (back when i thought they had techreps) involved, instead of just getting computer resets. it was the actions of porsche afterwards that made me less inclined to work with them and more inclined just to get out of porsche ownership.

lemon law puts a finite end on how long they can draw you out. on my fifth time in, i would think that was a good thing, despite the apologists' horror.....
Old 08-08-2007, 10:09 AM
yetis
Three Wheelin'

I can only imagine how warm and fuzzy the people at MMC have been through the whole process... Seems like bringing a copy of the New York lemon laws to your next pickup, would be advisable.

BTW, nice choice on the Caterham CSR!!!!
Old 08-08-2007, 12:17 PM
rountreed
Burning Brakes

I would be very nice to them when you pick it up and show up with all the documents you have. If you are missing any ask for copies so they can explain the issue to you. Once you have all your documents if this should happen again, I hope not, then pay another visit with your documents and a copy of the lemon law and then be dirrect. BLUF be nice till you have the winning hand till then let them think you are a sucker. I hope all goes well!
Old 08-08-2007, 06:02 PM
ozr
Racer

Exclamation

Originally Posted by rijk365gtb4
No warning lights are on.
...some fault codes do not produce "Check Engine" light until accumulate MORE fault codes of MORE serious severity...Did they PIWIS read properly MULTIPLE car logs for fault codes (Cay has MANY!!! logs storing engine/drivetrain fault codes...) Cylinder components faults ALWAYS produce severe faults with "Check Engine" light.

I've had a 04 CTT and had my coils twice replaced, so, this is the first thing that came to mind. However, MMC replaced (one side?), but the problem did persist...
...4 coils replaced on your CayTT08 one side only??? Where they defective/cracked/faulty or just replaced without UNDERSTANDING/LOOKING at them??? What about 8 spark plugs???

=> in your situation they should'v replaced ALL 8 spark plugs and ALL 8 coils to begin with, because they do NOT produce fault codes and ONLY then proceeded further to other components...

Then they replaced a lifter(?) from cylinder#8 ...
...did they read error/fault code for cylinder #8 components?????...

...I think they are looking in the wrong area, I would REALLY doubt faulty cylinder components with such symptoms, cylinder components faults/problems usually produce MUCH MORE RADICAL symptoms, stop and fault program driving mode with "Check Engine" light ALWAYS ON (...cylinder components faults ALWAYS live fault codes in car memory!!!)

... did they PIWIS READ multiple logs for error codes:
1. in DME log ???
2. in engine itself log ???
3. any other logs...

...I STRONGLY suggest to you, save your car and your pain, DON'T wait for "special tool" from Germany to rip cylinder bank components, DO NOT let MMC start taking engine/cylinder banks/components apart, FINISH with them comming to some point, keep ALL documented...

...MOVE ASAP to Paul Miller NJ, explain to them, that MMC is incompetent, can't look and read all fault codes properly, can't locate the problem, instead wants to start STUPID components SWAPPING in the engine cylinder area!!!

...it could be SOME simple faulty ELECTRONICS sensor somewhere (very often summer heat time Cay electronics components/various magnetic coils in various electric motors and etc. in Cay ControlUnits may burn out/die)...just need to LOOK properly...

Good luck,
OZRacing

Last edited by ozr; 08-08-2007 at 06:24 PM.
Old 08-08-2007, 06:32 PM
racer_65
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with the comments above. These guys obviously don't know how to troubleshoot, and just blindly replaces components hoping to hit the right one. Once you let an incompetent mechanic tear into your engine, your car will never be the same.

As much hassle as it seems, I would take it to a dealer with a better reputation (like the one in NJ).

Going off the topic for a bit...Despite the claimed benefits, I would buy the '06 car over the '08 if I could make the choice again today. Certainly no one has experience working on the Direct Injection engine in the '08 to date, and it's really unkown whether the system has problems.

Quick Reply: Problems with 08 CTT