Sponsored by:

Brake job completed, BUT......

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2007, 07:44 PM
davidbrondstetter
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake job completed, BUT......

Okay, the brake pad replacement is complete and the pad replacement only was a snap. Took a while to do the first one (about 30 minutes), then i did the second, third and fourth wheel in less than 15 minutes for each wheel. In short, it was the easiest brake pad replacement I have ever done.

Now onto the "BUT".....

I had my neighbor fire it up to back it up a smidge to remove the wheel blocks after finishing the last wheel. I'll be damned if it didn't cough, sputter, and choke without starting. I went over to the driver's side and turned it over, and it did the same thing without starting. I gave it a minute or two and tried again. It started with a bit of an erratic idle. I could smell excess fuel, at the exhaust as well. My neighbor did not pump the gas or anything goofy like that before he tried to start it. It now starts on command but has an unusually loud tapping noise coming from the engine compartment. It reminds me of an older pushrod model engine that needed the tappets (sp) adjusted or that is running low on oil (yes, I checked that immediately and it is full). It is basically a pretty pronounced clicking noise the goes up and down with the engine revs. It sounds internal and upper engine? The car has 33,000 miles on it and has had a dealership LOF at 15,000 and 30,000, which is ahead of the recommended change interval.

First question? Is there anything I could have done? The brake job was pretty easy and nothing remarkable happened. Old brakes and sensors out, new ones in.

Second question? Anyone else experience any engine noise of this nature?

This thread has been great for me. thanks for all the help.

David
Old 06-24-2007, 10:19 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Did you use axle stands ? if you did perhaps something got moved out of position ? And no nothing you can do to brakes would cause an engine noise.

I have not heard that noise decribed before, Brad ?
Old 06-25-2007, 01:19 AM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Perhaps more bad coils - moved by the jacking of the vehicle.

Did you do anything under the hood?

How about fuel supply or fuel pump (electrical) lines.

I know how easy it is to jack our Cayennes ( I do mine twice a year to swap rims - but... ) who knows?

Gotta be some releationship there...
Old 06-25-2007, 10:55 AM
99firehawk
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

probaly did the brake juob with the key on and the battery got weak and statted to fould the plugs.
few starts probaly cleaned them right off
the noise is probaly always been there and you were never looking for it and never heard it
Old 06-25-2007, 03:43 PM
davidbrondstetter
Advanced

I did use jack stands but kept the vehicle on the jack that came with the car. I only put the jack stands there for safety. Only thing I did under the hood was check the brake fluid. I had the hood open and the rear hatch open for about and hour+, but no other power, so I would be surprised if 99firehawk's version is correct, but you never know as it is running fine except for the noise.

Off to the dealership. Thanks all
Old 06-25-2007, 03:51 PM
HHPorscheTech
Intermediate

Sounds like coil failure..But one question when you originally moved the cayenne to lift it how far/long did it run? Believe it or not it is possible to foul the plugs with a short movement and not enough time to heat up. As far as the noise, Cayennes usually produce an excessive amount of engine noise (mechanical ) and acceptable. Lastly, Given the rough running, fuel smell, and current noise (having not heard the noise in person) I would begin to look in the cam timing solenoids. We have had a few that for some stubborn reason seem to work intermittanly and have replaced them with no problem...
Old 06-25-2007, 05:00 PM
davidbrondstetter
Advanced

about 30ft and for under a minute.
Old 06-27-2007, 07:41 AM
HHPorscheTech
Intermediate

Do you have any rough running when first starting the cayenne? If so then sounds like the coils are failing
Old 06-27-2007, 10:36 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Coils? Failing?

Strange, but I don't recall ever seeing an official TSB/recall stating that the coils may be 'marginal' and PCNA offering to replace them.

Did I miss something?

Quick Reply: Brake job completed, BUT......