Sponsored by:

E-81 Option - Is it a CTT"S"

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2018, 01:11 PM
Norritt
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi friends!

In my search for the perfect Cayenne (https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...cayenne-5.html) I came across a 2006 Turbo with the E81 option. It's a cold weather truck, not very well maintained, 77k miles, needs brakes (the 800 a rotor ones), a new drive shaft, 80k maintenance, rear hatch struts, no spare tire, center console (arm rest) worn, slight leak pas. side vaulve cover front (nothing they where concerned about) and has a squeaky driver door (opening and closing), a little corrosion / rust under paint on the left rear wheel. All that said, the Porsche indie gave it a thumbs up - no rust (other than that spot on the wheel), dry underneath, nothing dripping / weeping / leaking. Idle was a little rough - root cause needs a tune up. A bunch of bulbs out. Some low voltage faults, but root cause was battery was changed and codes not cleared. Good acceleration etc. Seller is FIRM at 14.9. They will not budge. Given it needs 3-4k worth of work, is it worth it at that price?

Last edited by Norritt; 01-07-2018 at 01:54 PM.
Old 01-07-2018, 01:49 PM
user 83838290
Banned

Received 471 Likes on 272 Posts

Yes, it is basically a TTS.
I think if you shop around, you'll find stuff for a lot less than 3k (brakes, plugs, coils, filters, oil...) and I'd say 1k in labour for all that stuff might be about ok if you don't diy.

And if the indy said OK, I'd go for it. It's a fun car.
Old 01-07-2018, 02:47 PM
jeanmarcboilard
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Hold on. You went from debating between all the best examples out there to considering buying one of the worst ones there is? That thing has clearly been neglected. For every issue that you're aware of on a used vehicle, there are 2 that you don't know about yet. I'd stay away from that one.
There's tape holding the shifter together, sheesh!
Old 01-07-2018, 02:52 PM
Norritt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jeanmarcboilard
Hold on. You went from debating between all the best examples out there to considering buying one of the worst ones there is? That thing has clearly been neglected. For every issue that you're aware of on a used vehicle, there are 2 that you don't know about yet. I'd stay away from that one.
There's tape holding the shifter together, sheesh!
Hahah - funny that was not called out in the PPI..

Yeah I know what you are saying, against everything I have been looking for. Comes down to is the e81 option worth it at that price point, knowing it needs some love. Sounds like from your perspective no .
Old 01-07-2018, 02:58 PM
jeanmarcboilard
Pro

I can see how the E81 kit could be appealing but keep in mind that with a tune you can get the same power level, without the more expensive brakes. I'm not aware of any difference in suspension for the E81.
Old 01-07-2018, 03:02 PM
Norritt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jeanmarcboilard
I can see how the E81 kit could be appealing but keep in mind that with a tune you can get the same power level, without the more expensive brakes. I'm not aware of any difference in suspension for the E81.
The Cayenne Turbo Power Kit also includes adjusted and re-calibrated suspension parts, consisting of reinforced spring struts, reinforced tie rods, as well as improved rubber mountings on the control arms. The result: an even tauter suspension calibration. Because of the larger rotor diameter, only specific 19- and 20-inch wheel choices are compatible with the Cayenne Turbo Power Kit. 18-inch wheels may not be used.

This was called out earlier in the thread.
Old 01-07-2018, 03:05 PM
jeanmarcboilard
Pro

I saw that someone had written that but there's also this official bulletin

Edit: Sorry, it does mention the upgraded suspension.
Attached Images  
Old 01-07-2018, 10:18 PM
Norritt
Rennlist Member

Parts Geek have the rotors for 600 ...so that is an improvement...

https://www.partsgeek.com/mmparts/br...e/cayenne.html

555 @ Autohouse AZ!

http://www.autohausaz.com/search/pn....SABEgKOavD_BwE
Old 01-07-2018, 11:46 PM
19psi
Burning Brakes

Received 146 Likes on 100 Posts

No way I'd buy that sight unseen. Do you have more photos of the interior? If that's all you got, they're hiding something. And who tries to sell a car by showing photos of it encrusted in salt?
77K miles shouldn't have a worn out arm rest. The radio controls on the steering wheel do wear, but I usually see that on 150K mile Cayennes. Why is the shifter taped? Why is the cargo carpet a dingy 5 shades darker than the other carpet? Are all the black spots cigarette cherry burns? Previous owner may have been a disgusting pig of a person who used it as a giant ashtray.

You mention wheel rust "under paint" a few times. Cayenne wheels are not made of steel. If it's rust on the body wheel arch, that would be an automatic deal breaker for me. Rust bubbling under paint means it's rotting from the inside out and it's just the tip of the iceberg, it'll be a giant pile of crap in two years. There's a reason body shops don't warranty rust repair. A seam on the rear passenger door is notorious for rusting out on the early Cayennes, I would have that area examined closely.

A few other things...
Probably never had a spare tire. Many Cayennes came with a bottle of Porsche brand fix-a-flat. The well will have a subwoofer in it and possibly a second battery under the subwoofer. A spare might be able to be added which fits over the subwoofer. Then again, with the larger brakes maybe not?

Drive shaft can be repaired in about 30 minutes with some heater hose and zip ties. Sounds hokey, but it'll most likely outlast the factory mount many times over.

In need of a tune up due to rough idle? Maybe, but it's also a cold climate car that's obviously been very neglected. Do you have any maintenance records showing things like oil changes? The plugs need to be pulled and examined along with a borescope exam of each cylinder by someone who knows what they're looking for. And don't believe the BS started by one idiot claiming turbos don't score cylinders. They do.
Did the mechanic get a camera under the intake to see if the plastic coolant pipes have been replaced? Rear Tees too?

I will say the E81 option does have a coolness factor to it and would be my Cayenne holy grail!
Old 01-08-2018, 12:26 AM
Norritt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 19psi
No way I'd buy that sight unseen. Do you have more photos of the interior? If that's all you got, they're hiding something. And who tries to sell a car by showing photos of it encrusted in salt?
77K miles shouldn't have a worn out arm rest. The radio controls on the steering wheel do wear, but I usually see that on 150K mile Cayennes. Why is the shifter taped? Why is the cargo carpet a dingy 5 shades darker than the other carpet? Are all the black spots cigarette cherry burns? Previous owner may have been a disgusting pig of a person who used it as a giant ashtray.

You mention wheel rust "under paint" a few times. Cayenne wheels are not made of steel. If it's rust on the body wheel arch, that would be an automatic deal breaker for me. Rust bubbling under paint means it's rotting from the inside out and it's just the tip of the iceberg, it'll be a giant pile of crap in two years. There's a reason body shops don't warranty rust repair. A seam on the rear passenger door is notorious for rusting out on the early Cayennes, I would have that area examined closely.

A few other things...
Probably never had a spare tire. Many Cayennes came with a bottle of Porsche brand fix-a-flat. The well will have a subwoofer in it and possibly a second battery under the subwoofer. A spare might be able to be added which fits over the subwoofer. Then again, with the larger brakes maybe not?

Drive shaft can be repaired in about 30 minutes with some heater hose and zip ties. Sounds hokey, but it'll most likely outlast the factory mount many times over.

In need of a tune up due to rough idle? Maybe, but it's also a cold climate car that's obviously been very neglected. Do you have any maintenance records showing things like oil changes? The plugs need to be pulled and examined along with a borescope exam of each cylinder by someone who knows what they're looking for. And don't believe the BS started by one idiot claiming turbos don't score cylinders. They do.
Did the mechanic get a camera under the intake to see if the plastic coolant pipes have been replaced? Rear Tees too?

I will say the E81 option does have a coolness factor to it and would be my Cayenne holy grail!
Hey there - thanks for the detail response. So what happened was this car was traded into a Chevy dealership, when this happens and the VIN is entered into their system, it then auto populates on all the major car sale werbsites (Autotrader, Cars.com etc) as a new listing. Most times the dealer sends the trade to auction due to it i needing work or in this case, does not want to sell a Porsche (cause they are a Chevy dealership) and that automated listing is removed. I happened to see the automated listing before it was removed and looked up the vin and saw the E81 option. This intrigued me, so I called the dealership to ask about it, to which they told me they just shipped it off to auction. I asked them if they could get it back and they did the next day. Those photos are straight from the back of a truck after it was driven to Indiana, why they look so crappy.

I had a PPI done @ an indy Porsche mechanic on Friday and they called out the issues I mentioned. Re: rust on the wheel - the note is LR wheel rusting under paint. Over the phone they said the wheel was bubbling a little. There was nothing else found and it was put on a lift and looked over. The interior they said was find except for the center arm rest looked worn and the carpets are dirty due to salt. The carfax is the only maintenance records there are and they are limited. It was a corporate car for the first 3 years and then privately owned by two additional owners. There are some oil changes noted on the carfax, but very limited. No accidents, no damage reported. Did not see if coolant pipes have been done. Assuming they have not. Drive shaft bearing was reported to have cracks, but no thumping yet. Paint thickness is good, front brakes at 4% (needs rotors and pads) rears at 40%.
Old 01-08-2018, 12:40 AM
19psi
Burning Brakes

Do you know what city it's in?
Old 01-08-2018, 12:43 AM
Norritt
Rennlist Member

Do you know what city it's in?
The auction house was in Indiana, it is back in Illinois now (that is where the dealership is).

They are going to do a full walk around video in the morning (inside and out). I am also going to have them send me a close up of the rust on the wheel. If you PM your number I can text it to you to see.
Old 01-08-2018, 12:46 AM
19psi
Burning Brakes

When you mentioned Indiana, I was hoping it was close by, I could have taken a look at it for you.
Old 01-08-2018, 12:48 AM
Norritt
Rennlist Member

When you mentioned Indiana, I was hoping it was close by, I could have taken a look at it for you.
Yeah that would have been awesome.

It for sure was not maintained or loved later in life. At some point someone has taken off the rocker extensions....

That said - there was nothing mechanically that screamed run away (from a PPI perspective). Why I am wondering if I should grab it due to the rarity.
Old 01-08-2018, 01:09 AM
Norritt
Rennlist Member

Couple more pictures. I will get more tomorrow and a video.

Quick Reply: E-81 Option - Is it a CTT"S"