Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY Dension install for Cayenne (aka getting your ipod to work through the MOST ring)

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 09:51 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by bancu
I’d like to be able to switch from iPod to USB to Bluetooth to CDC with the press of one button (ie CD 1, 2, 3, 4). I’d even give up one button access to iPod playlists to do that.

While the 2.03 firmware allows you to select all the sources (except the CDC) with a few menu/button selections it’s a bit too much when I’m driving. Maybe I'll get use the sequence in time but right now I find it too complex.

Even with the new source selection in firmware 2.03 the only way to access the CDC today is if you flick a switch to take the Gateway out of the loop.

While I don’t know if it’s possible from a technology stand point I’d like to see the CD “buttons” used something like:
CD 1 – iPod
CD 2 – USB
CD 3 – Bluetooth
CD 4 – CDC
CD 5 – Playlists/Directory Browsing
CD 6 – Gateway Menu
Request denied.
Old 07-26-2007, 07:36 PM
jasper21
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks for the Insturctions

Would have been very leery to try this without this thread. Did it in a couple of hours. Would have been super quick but I didn't have the power clamps on tight enough and wasn't getting power to dension didn't really notice this at first.

Works great. I would like more functionality for the bluetooth module however ie list dialing would be a nice added feature. Haven't been able to get the voice command dialing working. I imagine it is phone dependent not in the BT1000, has anyone got that working?

Once again Thanks for the DIY!
Old 07-27-2007, 12:59 PM
aviolich
8th Gear

Does anyone know where to purchase the gateway for an '06 TT? I've looked online but haven't seen anything in the U.S. Thanks.
Old 07-27-2007, 01:27 PM
bancu
Racer

Originally Posted by aviolich
Does anyone know where to purchase the gateway for an '06 TT? I've looked online but haven't seen anything in the U.S. Thanks.
I got mine from: http://www.bumperplugs.com/orderformpop1.html
Old 07-27-2007, 05:23 PM
aviolich
8th Gear

thanks
Old 08-09-2007, 08:59 PM
abtmuda
AutoX

Anyone in SF Bay Area who has this installed. I would love to see it in person. TY
Old 02-16-2008, 04:56 PM
agcollins
7th Gear

TimC (or others) - a couple of questions on your install:

1. How did you mount/secure your iPod and other wires? I presume that you have not left them to bounce around in that storage space!?

2. I feel brave with everything but the fibre optics. You mentioned that you may be able to publish more photos of what you did with the connectors - would that be possible?

Any assistance greatly appreciated.

Best,
Adrian
Old 07-11-2010, 02:17 PM
johnstof
Track Day

Ok, so I realize it's been over 3 years since this thread started and ended but I just bought an 06 Cayenne and I trying to install my Dension GW 500.

I am going the amplifier route (rather than CD changer, even though I have the changer) as explained by TimC in the original post. But in the second to last pic TimC wrote:

TimC: "I will have to take some more pictures or draw you a diagram to show the connections here later, but basically I unplugged the male amplifier connection in the picture above, plugged that into a female fiber plug which then seperated the input and output so that I could get the Dension device into the ring, I then had to complete the loop and plugged a female connection into the male amplifer plug and the loop was complete sorry this will make sense when I take more pics"

I am a bit confused by this and it looks like TimC spliced into the orange fiber optic cables. My Dension unit has two female inputs on the side. One is for the "car side" and the other is for the "CDC side". Everything seems to physically fit together nicely but on the first pass, I got the following msg on my screen "System Error: Amplifier Not Available". I tried swapping the cables that go into the Dension and got a similar error only this time it said the Nav, the CD, and the Amplifier were not available.

TimC, if you are still out there, and if you ever did draw a diagram of the connections, could you kindly post it now. The 06 and 08 Cayenne's are coming off lease and maybe there will be a new wave of people like me who want to add iPod capability to their new wheels.
Old 07-11-2010, 08:44 PM
wirunner
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I noticed there's seems to be an interest in this Denison unit on here and renntech but many have lots of problems/questions regarding the install. I can only assume it's cheaper than mObridge. If anyone needs BT and ipod seriously just get the mObridge unit. I thought it was extremely easy to install (with excellent instructions). It was probably the easiest DIY on the P!g I've done (certainly quicker and easier than changing and finding the right oil - geez if I see one more Walmart)...
Old 07-12-2010, 11:35 AM
TimC.
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Johnstof. I never went back to take pictures, but make sure you look at the little arrows on the fiber optic cables. all I did was unplug the fiber going into the cd changer and made it go into the dension unit instead then to complete the loop take the output on the dension unit and plug it into the fiber that was originally exiting the cd changer. thats it. When your done the dension unit will complete the loop that the cd changer originally did. the dension unit then acts like a cd changer. Hope this helps!
Old 07-12-2010, 06:54 PM
johnstof
Track Day

TiimC:
I was under the impression from your original post that you connected the dension into the amplifer and left the plug in the CD player untouched. (Wasn't that the reason you showed all of us how to locate the plug in the amplifier?) I also thought you said you did this to allow you to operate your CD player even when you iPod was disconnected. Your post today indicates that you unplugged the fiber from the CD player (not the amplifier). I'll try this tonight.
Thanks again,
John
Old 07-16-2010, 12:42 AM
2002M3Drew
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does the Dension unit work with the non-nav radio (CD head unit) from the 2006 Cayennes? (CDR220 maybe?) Just bought an FM transmitter for mine and it sucks sooooooo badly. No way that will work long term.
Old 07-23-2010, 12:53 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Drew, It will work with the CDR23, had the FM Mod for my XM radio and it's disappointing, The Dension will solve the XM and iPOD issue.

Now, I know this is an old thread but I just ordered a Dension GW500 and in reading the instructions it says to install in the front, I really want to install in the back by the changer just like this thread shows, do I need any extra fiber cables to do this?

My car has PCM2 and CD changer, I am fine pulling the CD changer out of the bus.

Thanks!
Old 08-29-2010, 03:51 PM
Bastiaan
8th Gear

johnstof:
Did you ever get the issue resolved?

I have a similar issue. It is giving the nav/radio error message, but I can control files on the usb, use bluetooth for the phone etc. only there is no sound at all. When I select the switch to use car cdc the radio and car cdc work perfectly. Which makes it seem the optical connections are fine.

It seems that earlier generations of the GW didn't have 2 optical connections and couldn't retain the car cdc, so a lot of the installation guides don't match.
Old 09-02-2010, 07:35 PM
cbracerx
Rennlist Member

Received 383 Likes on 247 Posts

I am also about to install but would like to locate all the bits up front. Have not seen a DIY for this yet for a CTT (or any C for that matter).

Quick Reply: DIY Dension install for Cayenne (aka getting your ipod to work through the MOST ring)