Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY Dension install for Cayenne (aka getting your ipod to work through the MOST ring)

Old 03-24-2007, 10:40 AM
bancu
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any time. Assuming you've got the same warranty in Australia the battery is covered and you should be good to go for another 3ish years.

You might also want to check the Gateway's charge settings for the iPod if you're using one. They can be configured to charge the iPod for up to two hours. I don’t think that should hurt anything once the time for a new battery call is addressed.

I haven't run into any electrical gremlins with the Cayenne. That could have been headed off by the dual battery setup. The dual batteries were a much desired item for me after the experience of a misscoded radio in an ML that would kill the battery after a week of sitting idle.

Last edited by bancu; 07-20-2007 at 05:59 PM.
Old 04-06-2007, 05:02 PM
Cayennenegro
2nd Gear

Tim C:
Thanks for the DIY instructions on Gate Way 500, I istalled it yesterday following your intructions and I had no problems, smooth all the way!
Old 04-08-2007, 09:52 AM
W211
Racer

Default Dension install for 997

Originally Posted by bancu
Dension still hasn't gotten a fix to me for using USB hard drives with the Gateway 500.

From what I've seen it's not just an issue of using the supplied unpowered extension cable. The unit is not working as advertised with USB hard drives even when a small (1Gb to 5Gb) hard drive is directly connected to the Gateway 500. It will work on occasion but frequently does not mount the drive.
I also tried but failed to connect the LACIE Porsche Design (who could resist) USB hard drive to the Dension Gateway 500 unit.

No CD changer was the error message. Oh well, having a hard drive bouncing around in the glove compartment in the 911 isn't the best idea anyway, I'll stick with USB flash drives and old iPods.
Old 04-08-2007, 02:37 PM
bancu
Racer

Default USB Hard Drive Support

Don't give up on this front and please send an e-mail to your supplier.

It appears to be two things:
- the power draw of the hard drive
- the time it takes the Gateway to read and mount the file system on the drive

Dension is supposed to be working to address both problems and the more people that let them know it's an issue the better. Even more so since they advertise and document the Gateway as supporting USB hard drives just as much as iPod integration.

I hear you on the hard drive bouncing around but I don't see too much of a difference between it being a USB based 2.5" one or the slightly smaller one in the iPod. The main reason I'm after the USB hard drive is for large WMA files (which the Gateway currently won't play even if they're on a flash drive) for streamed and presentation content. Beyond that I'd like to see them support the WMV format also even if it's just so we can hear the audio at first.
Old 07-13-2007, 04:30 PM
jasper21
4th Gear

Default Bluetooth Module

Has anyone added the bluetooth module to the 500? How does it work are you happy with it?
Old 07-13-2007, 06:34 PM
bancu
Racer

Originally Posted by jasper21
Has anyone added the bluetooth module to the 500? How does it work are you happy with it?
See this thread: https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-955-957-2003-2010/364902-bluetooth-adapter-for-dension-gateway-500-a.html
Old 07-19-2007, 07:31 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

TO THOSE WHO HAVE THIS INSTALL - BE HONEST

So what improvements would you like to see ?
Old 07-20-2007, 09:15 AM
TestnDoc
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

I will be able to tell you next week.
Old 07-20-2007, 06:04 PM
bancu
Racer

Originally Posted by mudman2
TO THOSE WHO HAVE THIS INSTALL - BE HONEST

So what improvements would you like to see ?
Has anyone on this forum ever been less than honest?

What part of what the Gateway does are you asking about (iPod or USB integration or the Bluetooth add-on)?
Old 07-20-2007, 06:14 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

everything
Old 07-20-2007, 06:33 PM
bancu
Racer

Oh sure Beckham moving here isn’t enough for you <g>.

My short answer is…Having not had any iPod or Bluetooth integration for years...it’s worth the money. I’ll post some “everything” stuff later.
Old 07-20-2007, 07:14 PM
bancu
Racer

Default iPod Integration

I am not an iPod junkie by any means but it works fine for my needs and I can’t think of any thing to add here. In fact for my needs they maybe too focused on the iPod.

I find the 2.03 firmware much nicer to use and haven’t had any problems selecting between my meager playlists. Most of the time I just limit myself to selecting between album and artist.
Old 07-20-2007, 07:18 PM
bancu
Racer

Default USB Integration

USB Flash drives seem to work fine. I had an issue _before_ the 2.03 firmware that where it seemed to skip after repeated on/off sessions but I haven’t checked to see if that’s fixed with the new firmware.

I’m still wondering on the USB hard drive front. While they advertise it as working and seem to have made advances with the 2.03 firmware I’m to the point where I’m not sure if it’s worth it. While I ended up buying their USB power booster and I’m still not sure that it always powers on the USB drive I’m using. I’ve taken to keeping the iPod in the truck most of time so I’m not sure if I’ll ever know. Given the increasing sizes and falling prices of flash drives I think the money would be better put towards a new flash drive or iPod and not the USB power booster.

Ultimately I think that they should either include the USB power booster (if it really solves the problem with the hard drives) or just remove that option that works out of the box.

There are three things I’d like to see on the USB front:

- Better access to the directories (perhaps treat them like playlists) would be welcome. As it stands with the 2.03 firmware you can browse the directory structure but it’s down enough menu selections that I don’t see myself using it.

- The ability to play larger WMA files. It handles hourish long podcasts but it won’t play multi hour streams that I also have even with the 2.03 firmware.

- The ability to play at least the audio from WMV files.
Old 07-20-2007, 07:19 PM
bancu
Racer

Default Bluetooth Integration

I don’t have a lot of time on it but the Bluetooth add-on seems to work fine for my Windows Mobile device on both the WMP and inbound call front. It is nice not to have to take the phone out of my pocket and still be able to answer a call. I’ve only done a few inbound calls over it and while folks know they’re on hands free they seem fine with it.

On the outbound call front I question its worth and doubt I’ll ever use it from the PCM. Unless I’m missing something making outbound calls is several menu selections away. It needs to be just a key away to make it not worth just grabbing the phone.

The Bluetooth is worth it to me for just the inbound and WMP integration. It may eliminate most of my need for the USB connectivity. I have Windows Mobile grabbing my podcasts already so I just have to worry about the stuff being in one place.
Old 07-20-2007, 07:23 PM
bancu
Racer

Default Source Selection

I’d like to be able to switch from iPod to USB to Bluetooth to CDC with the press of one button (ie CD 1, 2, 3, 4). I’d even give up one button access to iPod playlists to do that.

While the 2.03 firmware allows you to select all the sources (except the CDC) with a few menu/button selections it’s a bit too much when I’m driving. Maybe I'll get use the sequence in time but right now I find it too complex.

Even with the new source selection in firmware 2.03 the only way to access the CDC today is if you flick a switch to take the Gateway out of the loop.

While I don’t know if it’s possible from a technology stand point I’d like to see the CD “buttons” used something like:
CD 1 – iPod
CD 2 – USB
CD 3 – Bluetooth
CD 4 – CDC
CD 5 – Playlists/Directory Browsing
CD 6 – Gateway Menu

Last edited by bancu; 07-21-2007 at 12:22 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: DIY Dension install for Cayenne (aka getting your ipod to work through the MOST ring)