Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY Dension install for Cayenne (aka getting your ipod to work through the MOST ring)

Old 03-06-2007, 09:55 PM
TimC.
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Make sure you re-read the page in the install manual as to where to break into the MOST Loop. Also check the arrows on all the connectors. Remember the light passes through each component and then onto the next!
Also, make sure you power down the cayenne in between each try when your playing with the fiber...the MOST system needs to reset before it can recognize the Dension unit!
Old 03-08-2007, 02:04 AM
detailersdomain
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tim,

Thanks you do make it look easy cause after about 2 hours of playing around with it I still can't get anything to work.

I called Dension and they have said to disconnect the CD Changer but to be honest there is really no easy way to get at the power and the fiber optic cables.

How in the world did you get the cd to work with the gateway...

Dension said you have to disconnect the CD changer?????

Please help!
Old 03-08-2007, 02:24 AM
DJB
Instructor

My unit arrives next week, I haven't seen the instructions, but am I correct in imaginging that optical cables that were in the CD changer go into the denison unit, disconnecting the CD changer?
Old 03-09-2007, 02:39 PM
TimC.
Racer

If you see my pictures above, I left the CD Changer installed and took the fiber lead going INTO the Amplifier and made it go into the Dension Unit first, then back out of the Dension Unit and into the Amplifier.

Some things to check:
Have you identified which one is the input and which is the output on the Dension Unit.
Have you identified the arrows on the connectors showing the flow of light?
Old 03-10-2007, 11:44 AM
bancu
Racer

TimC,

Thank you very much for the write-up. Without it I would _not_ have taken the Denison plunge and certainly wouldn't have sorted out getting it working with the CD Changer in place.
Old 03-11-2007, 01:03 PM
UtterNirvana
Track Day

TimC,

Your write up was extremely useful. I was able to get the unit working within 1 hour.

I did not have a CD changer, so my install did not require pulling fiber from any module in the car. The existing factory fiber for a CD Chnager was used and worked like a charm.

Thank you!
Old 03-12-2007, 12:46 PM
HD2pct
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Tim, just to clarify the "finishing" of all this - you just kept the iPod mounted in the rear and you actually have the all the titles and controls through the PCM head unit?
Old 03-12-2007, 02:08 PM
bancu
Racer

Originally Posted by HD2pct
Tim, just to clarify the "finishing" of all this - you just kept the iPod mounted in the rear and you actually have the all the titles and controls through the PCM head unit?
Can't speak for Tim and am also interested in his answer but...

The iPod (or USB flash device) can be mounted anywhere the supplied cables will go. Right now I'm flipping among mounting the iPod under the back seat, in the back arm rest, or getting another extension to reach the front arm rest.

Denison advertises their unit as giving you 'complete' iPod control via the PCM but...it looks like a few folks (me included) are having a problem getting at the complete Denison UI with the Porsche PCM. With the latest 1.04 firmware I can access the first 4 playlists, play everything on the iPod and move between titles.

What I can't get to is the Menu or browsing UI that allows me to search or play by album, artist, etc. I'm also having a problem getting track lists to load reliably. I've got an e-mail into Eric about this and a few other issues.

Until Denison addresses being able to access to their Menu UI I don't see a loaded up iPod as being manageable.

The reason I wrote USB flash device is that I'm not getting consistent results from a USB hard drive. It seems that the Gateway 500 takes a while to mount the file system on a hard drive and sometimes gives up before it is ready for access. USB flash devices are working fine for me and will be my preferred media until Denison addresses their iPod UI issue.
Old 03-12-2007, 03:25 PM
civerson4
Rennlist Member

I installed mine Gateway 500 (no CD changer) this weekend. I am able to use the "complete" IPOD control--but it is a little tricky since Porsche has a single button for next track (quick push on the arrow) and fast forward (hold down the arrow). To select the menus, you need to hold down the arrow for 3-4 seconds. The unit is a little slow in loading menus (maybe becasue I have 3500 songs on my IPOD), but overall I am pretty happy.

The one thing I haven't been able to set up correctly is the IPOD charge toggle. I can get to the selection (the menu on CD 6) and then select the charge menu--but cannot get it to "acknowledge" a change in the charging selection.
Old 03-12-2007, 04:31 PM
bancu
Racer

Originally Posted by civerson4
I am able to use the "complete" IPOD control--but it is a little tricky since Porsche has a single button for next track (quick push on the arrow) and fast forward (hold down the arrow). To select the menus, you need to hold down the arrow for 3-4 seconds.
This is a tid bit worth highlighting.

It could just be me but I also find inconsistency in the way the PCM's scroll/select **** is working. The Gateway 500 seems to let you use **** to scroll and select some but not all things. To select some items you see to have to fallback to holding down the arrow.

Got to give Eric +++ for support. He got back with me in under half a working day. He noted that going back the version 1.0 (http://install.dension.com/GW5_MOST_100.ZIP) of the firmware should address most of my items and that the issues should be fixed in the next update.
Old 03-12-2007, 05:54 PM
civerson4
Rennlist Member

Interesting...I haven't been able to use the rotary **** to select anything. I'll try using the "old" firmware and let you know if it works.
Old 03-12-2007, 08:08 PM
bancu
Racer

Interesting...I haven't been able to use the rotary **** to select anything. I'll try using the "old" firmware and let you know if it works.
This makes me feel more sane.

It seems like rotary **** 'kind of' works for me with the v1.00 firmware. Actually I think it might work consistently but I just haven't sorted out when I can and can't use it.
Old 03-12-2007, 08:09 PM
bancu
Racer

The one thing I haven't been able to set up correctly is the IPOD charge toggle. I can get to the selection (the menu on CD 6) and then select the charge menu--but cannot get it to "acknowledge" a change in the charging selection.
The charge menu appears to be working for me with the v.1.00 firmware.

Last edited by bancu; 03-13-2007 at 01:47 AM.
Old 03-13-2007, 01:53 PM
bancu
Racer

Default A few notes to enhance your Gateway 500 experience.

After spending some time with the Gateway 500 I've found that getting it connected is one thing and having it work as advertised (and desired) is another. A few workarounds that Eric has helped sort out are:
  • Ignore the flyer in box that says tells you to upgrade to the latest (v1.04) firmware. I'm having much better PCM results with the v1.00 firmware. The v1.00 firmware (http://install.dension.com/GW5_MOST_100.ZIP) is not perfect but it's better than the v.1.04 with my PCM. Dension is promising fixes for most of my concerns in the next firmware release.

• USB flash drives are working for me without a hitch. I can copy song and podcast sized WMA and MP3 files directly to the drive and play them just fine. This is a welcome feature that lets me avoid the whole iTunes/iPod thing.

• Using the arrow key on the PCM to traverse title and select them seems to be more consistent and robust than using the right rotary **** via 'CD x' to display and select titles.

Pressing the right arrow key once lets you 'scroll' the items you'd see in a title list and you can select them by holding the arrow key down for a second or two (or perhaps three).

Selecting 'Track List' with the right rotary **** too frequently results in a hung "Loading..." screen. When the 'Track List' view does work, I'm finding that items are being auto selected too quickly. I don't know if that's a Gateway 500 or PCM issue.
Old 03-13-2007, 02:20 PM
TimC.
Racer

Thanks for the update.....great tip on using the arrows. I am finding the same "Loading scenario" as well. Although I imagine having 4,000 songs on my iPod is something the Dension will NOT be able to load quickly.
I will have to try it with my nano which only has 500 on it

FYI - I still have not loaded the new firmware either. I work in software development and I know first hand that "newest code" is often not the best for stability.....we usually put the code out so that everyone else can test it for us

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: DIY Dension install for Cayenne (aka getting your ipod to work through the MOST ring)