Would you buy/lease another Cayenne?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2006, 08:28 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Meanwhile, BostonDMD is probably surfing the Ford HD trucks website looking for a tow vehicle.....
Old 12-16-2006, 08:32 PM
droptop
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default i think 15k off is quite doable

i got mine for 15k off (2005 in mid year), depends on how much negotiation you and looking you are willing to do. i had to go to lexington ky to pick mine up, i understand there is also a very good dealer in AL.

my problems with the cayenne have been all medium so far, but enough of them that i am in lemon law arbitration (for the second time, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER believe what a PCNA rep offers you, what i tell you 3 times is true). just about to roll 50k on it, and i have serious doubts as to if the thing could make it to 100 without taking the antenna off and running a new car in under it. few, if any, of the dealerships know how to work on it, and i have found i know more about the bloody car than they do (have let 3 different ones try to fix it, they have made it worse instead). i thought having a japanese transmission would be a plus, but the guys who made this one never heard of six sigma.

it drives wonderfully, but think of it as a siren call, that irresistible call to drive a great vehicle without noticing the minefield you are walking into....

how much money and time do you want to spend?

notice the ejection seat in the upper right of the avitar......
Old 12-16-2006, 09:03 PM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BostonDMD
just wondering what your experience has been since I contemplating purchasing one. Thanks in advance....
You'll get "variety" in your answers!
I chose to replace my beta (first month '04) with 73K miles with a '06 Tit. S.
Have 3500 miles after 2.5 months and only minor rattles that I just haven't taken the time to go by and get straightened out. I traded because I was "naked" (see plethora of posts) and opted to get a 7 yr/100K through the dealer (a fully condom-ed Cayenne!) and believe that this will do great through 100K (i.e. they've fixed the issues that I experienced). I don't think that I would own past 100K miles however and despite what some say here.. PAG was #1 in reliability in the latest JDPower for initial 90days which means the Cayman intro was nearly flawless because of lessons learned on the Cayenne.. and new Cayennes have gotten the alpha/beta complaints taken care of.

Last edited by MadFox; 12-16-2006 at 09:20 PM. Reason: typo
Old 12-16-2006, 11:29 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by MadFox
PAG was #1 in reliability in the latest JDPower for initial 90days which means the Cayman intro was nearly flawless because of lessons learned on the Cayenne.. and new Cayennes have gotten the alpha/beta complaints taken care of.
Or it simply could be due to the fact that the Cayman is a Boxster coupe......and they've been building Boxsters since '97?
Old 12-16-2006, 11:32 PM
Budget M3
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by droptop
i thought having a japanese transmission would be a plus, but the guys who made this one never heard of six sigma.
+ 1...hear, hear!

Originally Posted by droptop
it drives wonderfully, but think of it as a siren call, that irresistible call to drive a great vehicle without noticing the minefield you are walking into....
I got my V6 in mid-2005 ('06 model). It is a very nice drive, and SOME specimens are trouble-free. Until the transmission bit the dust after only 14K miles, it had been very reliable with nothing more than some warped interior plastic trim and a loose speaker bracket.

I probably would not buy another due to my experience. If you do decide to take the plunge, I'd recommend test driving and going over even a new model with a fine tooth comb as if it were a used car. If there is even a hint of something feeling "not quite right" (like a slightly balky transmission), don't believe the salesman that tells you "they all do that". Pick another one, or go to another dealer...
Old 12-16-2006, 11:45 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
Or it simply could be due to the fact that the Cayman is a Boxster coupe......and they've been building Boxsters since '97?
Ok, lewis, watch it now, I have a Cayman S and love it......
Old 12-16-2006, 11:54 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Nothing against the Cayman....but it IS simply a Boxster coupe, and after 6-7 years (of production in Finland), the majority of the 'issues' have been dealt with......that was the only point I was trying to make.
Old 12-16-2006, 11:57 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ltc
Nothing against the Cayman....but it IS simply a Boxster coupe, and after 6-7 years (of production in Finland), the majority of the 'issues' have been dealt with......that was the only point I was trying to make.
Don't worry, I still like you......
Old 12-17-2006, 12:00 AM
EnigmaWmn
Just call me Pops
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Reading you two is like reading a romance novel .... not that I've ever read one, but keep it up! Please don't forget to share with us details of your first date :-D
Old 12-17-2006, 12:00 AM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ltc
Meanwhile, BostonDMD is probably surfing the Ford HD trucks website looking for a tow vehicle.....
Nothing against Ford, but I have a certain image to keep....
Old 12-17-2006, 12:01 AM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ltc
Agreed, a glorified Boxster. But, I was still surprised (as I'm sure Larry was!) that they got the Cayman near perfectly introduced and the Cayenne problems fixed. I would guess the next "real" test will be the Panamera (although lots of common elements with the Cayenne) introduction. I'm guessing at that price range and the "stubbed" toe with the Cayenne that PAG will opt to delay vs. intro the Panamera with ANY problems.... but, then it IS PAG we're talking about!
Old 12-17-2006, 12:02 AM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by EnigmaWmn
Reading you two is like reading a romance novel .... not that I've ever read one, but keep it up! Please don't forget to share with us details of your first date :-D
Why don't you join us......then you can report back.....
Old 12-17-2006, 12:04 AM
EnigmaWmn
Just call me Pops
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I can join to take pictures :-P
Old 12-17-2006, 12:11 AM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by EnigmaWmn
I can join to take pictures :-P
Well, we do know that you do like to take pictures of "hot" men... hmmm, who was that guy on Lake Cuomo?
Old 12-17-2006, 12:38 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by MadFox
hmmm, who was that guy on Lake Cuomo?
George Clooney.

Quick Reply: Would you buy/lease another Cayenne?