Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it possible to integrate an after market satellite radio?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2006, 07:51 PM
grotto1
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it possible to integrate an after market satellite radio?

I am considering a 2006 base and I have to have satellite radio. I do not want to drill holes in the dash board and therefore, I would need something that can integrate with the OEM radio.
Is it feasible?
Old 12-09-2006, 08:31 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Yes, it's feasible.
There are several options:
1. Use of a hardwired FM modulator. Our esteemed day care provider, parole officer and forum moderator, Mudman2 (a.k.a. MadMan2) has a very thorough DIY documented in this forum. Depending on the size of the unit, you can install it in the overhead in place of sunglasses.
2. Use of a wireless FM transmitter. Hit or miss on audio quality/fidelity, but fairly simple.
3. Use of a Dension/DICE or NAV-TV MOST iPod adapter (using the AUX input).
4. Removal of the base/factory headunit and installing the headunit of your choice (iPod capable, XM/Sirius capable, NAV capable....your choice)

Disclaimer: I don't own a Cayenne, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
Old 12-10-2006, 07:19 AM
magwheel
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Portable satellite radios

It's easy. I put a Sirius S50 in my Toyota FJ and set a dedicated FM station to 88.1 in memory. So any time I want satellite radio, I just push the 88.1 button and Sirius radio is on. I also had a Sirius One (model name) radio that I put in the Porsche 997 Turbo and it worked pretty good but I think I'll have to change to another frequency because there was a little interference.

The Sirius S50 is great because it gives you a fantastic display screen and the read out also tells you the what you're listening to (the artist and song)! I think I'll use my other Sirius radio S50 car kit (I got as a gift) in my new Toyota Tacoma truck and probably buy the new Sirius Stilletto radio and put it in the 997 Turbo. It's an upgraded S50 style and will look perfect in the Turbo!

You'll really be happy with these portable satellite radios. The car kits are great and have a few mounting choices to make it easy to install. The trickiest part is figuring out where to put the magnetic antenna and running its wire. Another neat thing is that you can detach the radio head and hide it away for safe keeping. Magwheel
Old 12-10-2006, 11:04 AM
grotto1
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you guys. I do not have great confidence in the FM transmitters since I have one in my Boxster and the sound is awful. I want something integrated in the sound system.
Old 12-10-2006, 02:30 PM
ChipAZ
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the $300 special in my 997 since the dealer couldn't or wouldn't put the satellite service in my 06 997's PCM. It's okay. But not nearly as nice as the integrated one in my Cayenne.
Old 12-10-2006, 02:54 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by grotto1
I am considering a 2006 base and I have to have satellite radio. I do not want to drill holes in the dash board and therefore, I would need something that can integrate with the OEM radio.
Is it feasible?
OK, option #5.
Both the PCM and the XM/Sirius satellite are AfterSales items; meaning they can be installed into a Cayenne with full warranty support (as if installed at the factory).
Your dealer can quote you on parts + labor; the latter being far more negotiable than the former (which if you want an idea of dealer cost, get a quote from Sunset Imports, the cost + 15% folks).
Now, if you have to ask how much, that's another story....but you said you HAVE to have satellite radio.

Quick Reply: Is it possible to integrate an after market satellite radio?