Sponsored by:

Cayenne Man Law

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2006, 11:59 AM
sigs
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Warning: Long Rant!

Okay, I've tried to stay out of this one, but the night shift here on the locked ward had a holiday party instead of giving out meds, so here I go.

I've had similar experiences, MJW930, with other PCA members. The 914, 944, Boxster, etc. folks should thank Cayenne owners for becoming the lightning rods for all this crap. Though the 993 Turbo is still my favorite car of all time, many of us can only afford one ridiculously expensive, low-bang-for-the-buck vehicle at once. Maybe I should have just bought a Z06 (ohmygosh, such sacrilege!) and an old Grand Cherokee that I wouldn't mind leaving out in the driveway, but I really like having a little fun during my daily commute and still being able to stop by Home Depot without having to go home and switch vehicles. When I bought the CTT, the Porsche moniker was a drawback, not a plus. I bought the truck for its capabilities, not for its nametag. I assumed I'd have to put up with typical Porsche issues of design, quality, service, and attitude, and wasn't sure if it would be worth all that for a "non-911." If Lexus made a comparable vehicle, it would not have been a close decision. But the CTT was, and continues to be, alone in its class of overall capabilities that I wanted.

As far as being lumped together with soccer moms, I guess that's not so bad. As much as I've loved 911s since long before I could afford one, nowadays too few of the 911 owners that I encounter fall into what I had grown to know as a bunch of friendly, often evangelistic, but almost never snide, devotees of a unique automotive vanguard. It's iinteresting that the 911 purists have focused on Cayenne owners, instead of the growing contingent of more-money-than-automotive-sense, couldn't-come-any-closer-to-driving-the-911-at-its-limits-than-the-dreaded-soccer-moms-are-likely-to-reach-either-the-on-road-or-off-road-limits-of-the-Cayenne, and "yeah, my other car is an S-class, - this is just my fun car for the weekends" 911 owners.

Meanwhile, I'll proudly suffer the scorn of the purists and go hang out with the soccer moms for some post-game brownies and Gatorade (it gets the drugs into your system faster than Kool-Aid).
Old 12-09-2006, 12:06 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey, some of those soccer moms are pretty hot! No arguement with your logic here.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 12-12-2006, 07:38 PM
Stone43
Racer

OK, let me put thing into (a momentary) perspective. Took the beast in for its 40K mile checkup, needed a couple of things fixed as well (actuator motors in the dash and the glasses holder). Finished the paperwork and headed out to the lot to check out what they had for sale. Did the usual fly by and then picked up my rental car (my dealer pays for). It was a lovely new chevy impala. It did start on the first try and had a full tank of gas and the radio worked. What more could I want? Anyhow, as I was heading to work, I took a corner a little aggressively and felt the rear end give. Almost had a spin out on my hands (as I was thinking to myself, why did I decline the insurance again??) but was able to recover and behave myself the rest of the trip to work.

The moral of the story here is appreciate what you have. All it takes is one spin in an American car, to really understand the quality that goes into these things. I have never driven such a piece of **** in my life as this Chevy Impala. I had to get into the trunk to get my back pack, and when I closed it, the noise it made literally cracked me up, it sounded so horrible. It really makes me feel bad for the US car makers. I also own a Chevy Tahoe, and I must admit, the Chevy car and truck lines must be developed and manufactured on different planets, there is no comparison.

Anyhow, the bottom line is that I cannot wait to pick up the pepper and I may even give it a little hug as I throw the keys back to the Hertz guy. I miss the ol' girl already.
Old 12-12-2006, 11:46 PM
HD911
Racer

Didn't the CTT have a faster lap time at the ring than a N/A 996? I remember reading that it had the same exact time as a Mitsu Evo.
Old 12-13-2006, 12:24 AM
GM Austin
Pro

Originally Posted by sigs
Warning: Long Rant!

Okay, I've tried to stay out of this one, but the night shift here on the locked ward had a holiday party instead of giving out meds, so here I go.

I've had similar experiences, MJW930, with other PCA members. The 914, 944, Boxster, etc. folks should thank Cayenne owners for becoming the lightning rods for all this crap. Though the 993 Turbo is still my favorite car of all time, many of us can only afford one ridiculously expensive, low-bang-for-the-buck vehicle at once. Maybe I should have just bought a Z06 (ohmygosh, such sacrilege!) and an old Grand Cherokee that I wouldn't mind leaving out in the driveway, but I really like having a little fun during my daily commute and still being able to stop by Home Depot without having to go home and switch vehicles. When I bought the CTT, the Porsche moniker was a drawback, not a plus. I bought the truck for its capabilities, not for its nametag. I assumed I'd have to put up with typical Porsche issues of design, quality, service, and attitude, and wasn't sure if it would be worth all that for a "non-911." If Lexus made a comparable vehicle, it would not have been a close decision. But the CTT was, and continues to be, alone in its class of overall capabilities that I wanted.

As far as being lumped together with soccer moms, I guess that's not so bad. As much as I've loved 911s since long before I could afford one, nowadays too few of the 911 owners that I encounter fall into what I had grown to know as a bunch of friendly, often evangelistic, but almost never snide, devotees of a unique automotive vanguard. It's iinteresting that the 911 purists have focused on Cayenne owners, instead of the growing contingent of more-money-than-automotive-sense, couldn't-come-any-closer-to-driving-the-911-at-its-limits-than-the-dreaded-soccer-moms-are-likely-to-reach-either-the-on-road-or-off-road-limits-of-the-Cayenne, and "yeah, my other car is an S-class, - this is just my fun car for the weekends" 911 owners.

Meanwhile, I'll proudly suffer the scorn of the purists and go hang out with the soccer moms for some post-game brownies and Gatorade (it gets the drugs into your system faster than Kool-Aid).
Hyphenation overload sigs!
But I agree with you. I like the Cayenne more for what it can do. It is an incredibly capable machine with off-road to on-road performance capabilities that no other vehicle comes close to. Yeah, the Porsche emblem on the hood is cool too, but that is way down on my list of why I would spend this kind of money on an SUV.
Old 12-14-2006, 02:29 PM
good hands
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

Wow ! For those of us who have ever taken the cayenne off road it is amazing how capable this vehicle is. My wife is in real estate and has asked me to drive her to some real remote locations to look at property and i am amazed at how well the vehicle performs. There really is no vehicle that does what the Cayenne does. It is just as comfortable on the dirt roads of Virginia as it is pulling up to the countryclub. Also the fit and finish of any Porsche is amazing.
There is nothing to defend here, it is a really great vehicle.
Old 12-14-2006, 06:26 PM
Stone43
Racer

OK, I take back all of the nice things I said.

I just got a call from the dealer (in for my 40K service) and he just told me I need new brakes and rotors, all the way around.

Anyone care to guess what this costs??

Happy $%#&#*@ Holidays.
Old 12-14-2006, 07:28 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Stone43
OK, I take back all of the nice things I said.

I just got a call from the dealer (in for my 40K service) and he just told me I need new brakes and rotors, all the way around.

Anyone care to guess what this costs??

Happy $%#&#*@ Holidays.
I'm going to guess https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-955-957-2003-2010/317992-price-check-new-brakes-for-05-ctt.html

Please ask the dealer to SHOW you the rotors (checking for grooving/scoring....doubtful if your sensors were functioning and you didn't wear the pads down to the rivets) and ask the dealer to SHOW you the rotors with a micrometer/caliper....in fact, bring your own.
Old 12-15-2006, 02:21 PM
Stone43
Racer

Itc,

Thanks for the link. The search tool on this forum is not the best.

Anyhow, the dealer told me that (as someone else also stated) the rotors had to be changed out with the pads. Having gone down this road before, simply if the rotors are not worn, then they do not have to be changed. At least that was the logic with my old 911's I owned. But this is a heavier, more complicated beast. And I was quite busy, a bit too busy to argue. And to top it off, I had my wife in my ear stating "you have a 2 year old, you will not skimp on the the brakes." Of course, I was thinking that having this 2 year old was the reason I had to trade in my 911 cab and buy this damn thing anyways.

So I ate it. Total damage: 40K service (normally $600, my dealer changes the oil for free since I bought it there, so it came out to $400), Warranty fixes included replacing 4 actuator motors, sunglass holder, glove box latch. Brakes, front and rear, pads and rotors (GULP) $1250.

This little episode makes me begin to question continuing my Porsche ownership. My 02 Chevy Tahoe has never been in the shop (over 50 miles), the oil changes are $30. Still has the original brakes, ironically, I added 20" rims and tires to it, etc. etc.

I am going to have to fall back in love, as this affair has had its first setback in a year!!
Old 12-15-2006, 02:22 PM
Stone43
Racer

Oh, I forgot to mention 1 more thing. I got a new 2007 calendar too.
Old 12-15-2006, 02:27 PM
good hands
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

ditto on what ltc says.

my dealer says " they make it a habit " of changing rotors when they change pads due to the complaints of customers regarding uneven brake pad wear after the pads are changed alone. I think this is a crock.
Old 12-15-2006, 02:34 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

The solution is pretty simple. If it is a wear item and not covered by a warranty, why let the dealer touch it?
Old 12-15-2006, 02:56 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
The solution is pretty simple. If it is a wear item and not covered by a warranty, why let the dealer touch it?
Very well said.
Old 12-15-2006, 03:50 PM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Stone43

Happy $%#&#*@ Holidays.
WOW - you got 40k out of yours? I burned mine up by 28k...
Old 12-15-2006, 03:59 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

This will make you sick. My GMC Yukon XL Denali just turned 93,000 miles. It has trailered over 10K miles, and has a lifetime fuel average of 13.2 mpg on regular gas. Other than the occasional rattle it runs just like the day I bought it. In fact, most of it is just like the day I bought it. Original tires, original brakes (F&R), original shocks and the paint is still shiny. And I have no plans to get rid of it. My last Suburban went 140K and I sold it for $12Gs to get this one.

So again, why did I buy the Cayenne? Oh yeah,

Quick Reply: Cayenne Man Law