Sponsored by:

What would you do...

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2006, 12:20 AM
cjones
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question What would you do...

Hey all, long time PCar owner, but first time potential Cayenne buyer. I have found a Cayenne S virtually loaded with Nav, Xenons, Air Suspension, PSM, 19" wheels and the off-road package. The only problem is the Carfax indicates a previous accident with frame damage.

The frame was repaired by a reputable shop and the car seems to drive very well, but I am concerned about how this might effect it's resale value.

Question:

With sales for the Cayenne softening, considering that we are going into the holiday season, what do you all think this car should sell for without the history?

What do you think the history does to the market value?

Love to hear your thoughts!
Old 11-27-2006, 01:28 AM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cjones
Hey all, long time PCar owner, but first time potential Cayenne buyer. I have found a Cayenne S virtually loaded with Nav, Xenons, Air Suspension, PSM, 19" wheels and the off-road package. The only problem is the Carfax indicates a previous accident with frame damage. The frame was repaired by a reputable shop and the car seems to drive very well, but I am concerned about how this might effect it's resale value. Question: With sales for the Cayenne softening, considering that we are going into the holiday season, what do you all think this car should sell for without the history? What do you think the history does to the market value? Love to hear your thoughts!
Hey Jonesie: Really read through this forum. I and nearly every active Cayenne rennlist forum regular would not recommend nor buy any used Cayenne from anywhere except a dealer where you got a CPO for 6/100. Since this has frame damage I'm assuming that it isn't through a dealer (i.e. wouldn't CPO) and you're dang straight it will affect resale value. I personally would NEVER buy a high performance vehicle like a Porsche that has had any serious repairs that show up in carfax.. minor paint work etc. fine.. but you have no way of knowing what really happened unless you talk with the previous owner and then you hope he'd be truthful. Cayenne ownership is NOT for the weak of heart when it comes to $$$.. without ext. warranty to 100K miles, I think you'd be foolish to jump on this Cayenne. as you may know it is more than soft for the SUV market and in particular it is "soft" for what we regulars call alpha/beta models (03/04 - so what year is this too, you forgot to mention).. lots of Cayennes will be coming off leases in '07.. I'd wait, there will be a S similarly equipped that has NOT been redlined (get that checked out too.. should be able to get from PIWIS or servicing dealer) or wrecked. Oh, and the Kool-Aid is purple and you have to drink it to tolerate Cayenne-owner-ship!
Old 11-27-2006, 03:37 AM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

If you are looking at this Cayenne for a long term vehicle - go find one with zero damage.

If you will only have this car for a year or two then "give it a try" but remember, it's always harder to re-sell a flawed item when there are others out there without any...

Go used but without the damage - 2004 or newer and you'll be happy. Cayenne S with all the options and life is great!
Old 11-27-2006, 08:42 AM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 965 Likes on 589 Posts

Find another one- I agree with everythning said above...
Old 11-27-2006, 08:44 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Not a chance you would catch me buying that heap. Think about how difficult it would be to sell should you not like it after a period of time. SUre, no problem selling it, but after you let the new buyer the same thing you have just been informed (frame damage) just be prepared for VERY low offers. Move on.
Old 11-27-2006, 05:49 PM
cjones
4th Gear

You guys are great for taking the time to respond. I appreciate your candid opinions. I think we are all in agreement of the risks here and the lower resale. Anyone willing to comment on how much this damage would reduce the market value to a comparable car?
Old 11-27-2006, 06:17 PM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cjones
You guys are great for taking the time to respond. I appreciate your candid opinions. I think we are all in agreement of the risks here and the lower resale. Anyone willing to comment on how much this damage would reduce the market value to a comparable car?
Okay, if you agree with our opinions then what does it matter.. unless... okay I'm putting on my cynic hat here.. you're actually the owner of the vehicle that has the "problem" and you want to know how much of a hit you're going to take on a trade or to sell it! Maybe I'm wrong.... but who cares if you're not.. And I don't think anyone here could give you an accurate estimate unless they wholesale cars for a living. MOVE ON Jonesie!
Old 11-27-2006, 06:34 PM
99firehawk
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

what year is the car whats the milage and where is it at?
Old 11-28-2006, 12:08 AM
cjones
4th Gear

MadFox, thanks again for the comments. I am in no way the previous owner of this car. I found it at a local dealership in Minnesota. The car is a 2004 with about 38,000 miles and was originally owned on the east coast. At a point, if this discount is right, a person might look past the mark on carfax provided the repair was done professionally. Everyone has their price, I am just trying to determine what that is.
Old 11-28-2006, 12:19 AM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 30 Posts

Don't get emotional about the purchase. This will end badly.

Where in Minn. is the car? At a Porsche dealer?

The option here may be to purchase it and resell the car to Russian dealers for a profit.... :hmm:
Old 11-28-2006, 12:26 AM
99firehawk
Drifting

how muc do they want for it, id give 25 for it
Old 11-28-2006, 12:28 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Scott C
Don't get emotional about the purchase. This will end badly.
Of course it ends badly.....it's a beta model Cayenne after all.

Wait a minute, 04 Cayenne, accident, high mileage.........nah, couldn't be my missing Cayenne.
Old 11-28-2006, 12:38 AM
Eharrison
Nordschleife Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Somewhat similar to the title of the thread....WWJD?
I'd think he'd say pass on it. It will cause untold grief on resale....Espescially if you find something better with the year...
Old 11-28-2006, 01:14 AM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ltc
Of course it ends badly.....it's a beta model Cayenne after all. Wait a minute, 04 Cayenne, accident, high mileage.........nah, couldn't be my missing Cayenne.
Beta Model, Not CPO, 38K miles, not Larry's car, wrecked by unknown evil BMW forces.. let's see about time for coils, who knows what else?! Let the buyer beware sound familiar?? ... or do some guys just put cotton in their ears when they think they can buy a "Pe--s extender" (apologies to enignmawmn).... whoops a Porsche cheap?
Old 11-28-2006, 09:19 AM
99firehawk
Drifting

ID still buy it I get a hook up on repairs

Quick Reply: What would you do...