Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2006, 06:26 AM
Christian S.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Default CJ1 17" Rims on All Models?

Will the standard 17" Rims on the base model fit all the other models (S, Turbo etc)? Thinking of getting a set as winter wheels. Also, does the TPMS fit these rims?

TIA
Old 10-17-2006, 08:22 AM
bancu
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The 17" wheels will not clear the front brakes on any model beyond the Cayenne. The 18" (and some 20") wheels won't clear the brakes that are standard on the Cayenne S.

If you're looking to stick with the 'narrow and tall' approach to winter wheel selection, beyond the Cayenne you're going to need to go with the 18" wheels. You can use the recommended 235/60-18 (I think I got that size right) Dunlop's on them to keep the width as narrow as possible.

I've found that it's the tires that make the biggest difference in the winter. The Dunlop M2s have served me well in the 235 and (on other vehicles) 265 widths. There are many posts on the selection of winter tires you can search for to get a better feel for other views. There are folks that have even gone as far as switching from 255 to 235 with tires because they could feel a difference.

The TPMS sensors mount via the valve stem so yes you can put them on any wheels.
Old 10-17-2006, 12:00 PM
Christian S.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Thanks bancu, looks like I need a set of 18 inchers.
Old 10-17-2006, 12:27 PM
Kooser
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Christian S.
Since I got a set of 20" sport technos for winter, I have a set of 18" Turbo wheels with all weather tires available. The tires won't do you any good but the wheels would. They have the 5 star porsche crested center caps too which I won't need.

Let me know if you are interested, otherwise the dealer will take them off of me. I don't remember how pristine they look since I have't had them on since last winter but I know that they are in excellent condition.
Old 10-17-2006, 02:00 PM
Christian S.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by Kooser
Let me know if you are interested, otherwise the dealer will take them off of me. I don't remember how pristine they look since I have't had them on since last winter but I know that they are in excellent condition.
Very kind offer Kooser, sadly shipping from Chicago to Scotland is likely to a wee bit too pricey
Old 10-17-2006, 02:16 PM
Kooser
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very kind offer Kooser, sadly shipping from Chicago to Scotland is likely to a wee bit too pricey
My wife and I will be going to Europe in December so we just won't pack clothes, we will just stuff our four suitcases with the wheels, then ship them from Germany or Poland - little cheaper than from the states!
Old 10-17-2006, 07:18 PM
bancu
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any time.

If you can find the post from the guy that switched from the 255s (Pirelli I think) to 235/60-18 Dunlops it's interesting reading. I started with 235 on the Cayenne for winter tires so while I'm run them for two seasons, I can't give you a comparison.

There are also folks that have had to move from 235/60-18 to 255/50-19 because of they had the Powerkit brakes installed. They also swear they could tell the difference.

I will say that the 265/55-18 Dunlop Winter Sport M2 have served me well enough for 4 seasons on my ML55. I know it doesn’t match the technical information but I'd attribute any differences in handling on the ice to vehicle differences and not the tire width. The M2s seem to be just a really good tire. At the same time most folks with the Pirelli's seem to be very happy.

Quick Reply: CJ1 17" Rims on All Models?