Sponsored by:

New Tires

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2006, 11:48 PM
hamiam
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Tires

This will probably be amazing to many on this forum but my 2005 OEM Conti tires have given me 25k miles and, while not showing the wear bars yet, I think they are in need of replacement. While we do live in NYC we do see our share of rain, snow, and even dirt/sand on our fequent weekends outside the city. Any suggestions ladies and gents for new tires given the above? Im not able to have a set of snow and a set of summer tires; one set has to do double duty.
Old 10-06-2006, 11:56 PM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 965 Likes on 589 Posts

Check out a tire thread here a few weeks ago- a couple of us just put on a new Michelin tire called Lattitude- better tread wear rating but not quite as high performance. I've had them for a month and a half now and am happy with them so far. Hope they last longer than my OEM Pirellis and their first replacement Diamaris Michelins... Costco installed them and did a fine job.

They are an all season M+S tire rather than a true performance tire so they may work ok in ocassional snow and crappy weather- I have mounted snows living where I do though so I won't be running them in the dead of winter.
Old 10-07-2006, 10:33 AM
cab&coupe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

SKL, what winter tires are you running on?
Old 10-07-2006, 05:43 PM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 965 Likes on 589 Posts

Dunlops- I love 'em. Have them also on the Mini and an A4. Good when the road is dry (which is most of the time) and fine in the white stuff...
Old 10-08-2006, 12:49 PM
TitanL9
Pro

Anybody know what tires come standard on the 06 Cayenne S Ti?
Old 10-08-2006, 01:48 PM
tetongolf
Intermediate

If anyone is looking for a very aggresive winter tire for the Cayenne, I just found the ideal tire for my climate. I've been running Nokian Hakkpelita II's (studded) on my Audi S4 for a number of years. These tires are the perfect match for our winter roads. We see a lot of hard pack snow and ice. It is a nice insurance policy having the studs. They are irritating on dry pavement, but very nice to have when you need them.

Anyway, Nokian makes a Hakkapelita SUV in a 275/40/20. I called around and looked online and no one had them, but could order them and they were about $330+ per tire. Then somone suggested I try Les Schwab, I was suprised that they would have Nokian, no problem they said, we'll have them from our main warehouse in 2 days. All 4 mounted, balanced, disposal on my old tires, with studs.... $860 out the door. Wow, I think it was $182/ tire.

So, I had them mounted last week, and now I'm just waiting for the snow to fly.

Michael
04 CTT
92 S4 RS2
Old 10-08-2006, 09:48 PM
Cay-ute
Addict
Rennlist Member

On my second set of Pirelli Scorpion A/Ts. They have been through three Colorado winters and I have had no issues with any weather conditions. Frankly, I have become lazy and no longer change from summer to allweather tires, I leave the Pirelli's on year round. I changed to the second set at 24K, mostly because of a long trip my wife was taking, the originals still had a few more thousand on them. Good Luck
Old 10-08-2006, 09:57 PM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TitanL9
Anybody know what tires come standard on the 06 Cayenne S Ti?
I just bought one.. thankfully it came with 19" Michelin Diamaris. As I've said previously, this tire is a patented assembly process and was the only tire that got rid of my previous BETA model Cayenne's shimmy/vibration. Great tire.. Had two flats after I replaced all 4 tires but the other two had 30K miles and still looked good when I traded. I had Continental SportTracs? (worst, forgotten if that's right, look up old threads) and Bridgestone Touranzas (not much better).
Old 10-10-2006, 10:43 PM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

OK, I will try my question here! Are there any runflats available for summer tires. Has anyone tried them? I see they are available for quite a premium in snow tires.
Old 10-11-2006, 07:42 PM
prm1177
Intermediate

Lots of good reports for the Yokohama Geolanders. Tire Rack customers rate this as a #1 for the light truck/SUV category. Probably not performance tires, but I will be giving them a try when my 06 Pepper hits 25k on the Conti's

Quick Reply: New Tires