Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Purchasing the Cayenne Turbo S

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2006, 01:00 PM
Noubs
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Purchasing the Cayenne Turbo S

I've somewhat compared the ML 63 AMG & the Cayenne Turbo S, and both are incredible vehicles. Right now if i had to choose between these two, i would definitley pick the Turbo S.

But im having second thoughts. Everyone i speak to has SOME KIND of problem with their Cayenne. The V6, S, Turbo, Turbo S, all seem to have some kind of issue.

Now if you had to buy one of these two vehicles, which would it be and why?

I think the Turbo S is AMAZING, but buying a vehicle thats gonna have too many problems is going to be pointless. Taking it to service over and over again is going to be a huge hassle.

Now im not sure if the ML 63 AMG has too many problems or not, so any suggestions would be great.

and please don't be bias since this is the porsche forum.

peace!!
Old 10-01-2006, 01:07 PM
yetis
Three Wheelin'

I would NEVER own the first year of an ML.
Old 10-01-2006, 03:27 PM
Budget M3
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by yetis
I would NEVER own the first year of an ML.
+1...or any other "luxury" SUV. I had a first model year X5 with similar niggling issues/problems. These are complicated vehicles and things WILL go wrong...it takes a few months (year?) to get the bugs worked out...
Old 10-01-2006, 04:05 PM
Noubs
Track Day

i have a BMW X5 3.0 and have had for a year. its the PERFECT SUV. no complaints from me cuz i have never had any problems.

so im guessing both of you would pick the Turbo S over the 63 AMG?
Old 10-01-2006, 05:16 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

I soldmy ML (V8) for my Cayenne never looked back. Absolutely love mine and have had ZERO problems. Oh yeah, I even trailer (enclosed 20' Pace) my 996 to the track with ZERO problems.
Old 10-01-2006, 05:51 PM
JGriff
Racer

2005 Cayenne (with the V6) - 16k miles and going strong... no problems whatsoever. Only time it has been back to the dealer was for its scheduled 10k mile oil change.

I've been very happy so far, and have no regrets.
Old 10-01-2006, 07:36 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Scheduled 10K oil? I thought the first interval was 20K???
Old 10-01-2006, 07:58 PM
yetis
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Noubs
i have a BMW X5 3.0 and have had for a year. its the PERFECT SUV. no complaints from me cuz i have never had any problems.

so im guessing both of you would pick the Turbo S over the 63 AMG?
I had a 2003 ML500, and I am not going to miss it. It was a couple years into the model and it still had its host of issues. I don't think I would own either without a warranty, but I prefer the Porsche.
Old 10-01-2006, 09:10 PM
JGriff
Racer

Originally Posted by LVDell
Scheduled 10K oil? I thought the first interval was 20K???
I was told that oil changes are every 10k miles (using synthetic oil), with the first "major" service at 20k miles.
Old 10-01-2006, 10:49 PM
Noubs
Track Day

12-1 Porsche

now probably most are biased, but i haven't really gotten real reasons to why you prefer the Cayenne over the ML (besides the fact that some have said ML has had problems etc...)
Old 10-01-2006, 11:36 PM
Rider1
Advanced

Default Traded second CTT for an ML63

Hello,

I've owned two CTT's...an '05 and an '06. So the other day I thought I'd go check out the ML63 just to see what the competition was doing. One drive is all it took to trade the '06 CTT for the ML63. Main reason: Instant power and a transmission that is responsive. Other reasons: 1.) Handling, I felt, was more secure with less body lean, 2.) ML63 builds speed much smoother than the CTT and is much quieter, 3.) Overall the ML63 has a more "polished" feel.

A few minuses for the ML63: 1.) Outside rear view mirrors are too small, 2.) Navigation map has had a couple of street/roads missing, 3.) Running boards are tacky.

Overall, IMO the ML63 is more fun to drive and it's mainly due to the very responsive engine and 7 speed automatic transmission. You don't have to drive it in manual mode like the CTT to get instant response. What a joy! Performance wise I would say the CTTS and ML63 are going to be close to even. I weighed the ML63 (5240lbs. with half tank of gas) and I've previously weighed the CTT (5550lbs. with full tank of gas). Off the line the ML63 will have an advantage but after that I don't know.

Bottom line: ML63 with most options has an MSRP of around $94K including the rear dvd system. A CTTS (in your case) has an MSRP of around $120K with a good compliment of options. Out the door price right now on an ML63 is close to MSRP and you probably already know that you can negotiate atleast $10K off the CTTS. So a savings of around $17 - $18K, which is nothing to sneeze at.

Hope this helps.

P.S. I drove both the CTT's that I owned a total of about 21K miles and had most of the problems that you've read about here. Pulling to the right, ignition coils and I experienced horrendous customer service from my local (and only) Porsche dealer...Gaudin Porsche, Las Vegas, Nevada.
Old 10-01-2006, 11:50 PM
superbigfo
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We had a cayenne s for few years and ended up getting rid of it for an infinity FX35 because it had soo many problems. It was in the shop almost once a month. One of the cars we looked at before the FX35 was the Ml63. Not exactly sure why the parents stopped looking at it. Another car to look at (which i have not had a chance to drive) is the Jeep cherokee Srt-8. Supposedly runs a 4.8 0-60 and drives like a sports car. They are much cheaper than both the mercedes and the porsche. Though the build quality and such is not of the same as a mercedes or porsche. Just a thoght.
Old 10-02-2006, 09:48 AM
yetis
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Rider1
Hello,

I've owned two CTT's...an '05 and an '06. So the other day I thought I'd go check out the ML63 just to see what the competition was doing. One drive is all it took to trade the '06 CTT for the ML63. Main reason: Instant power and a transmission that is responsive. Other reasons: 1.) Handling, I felt, was more secure with less body lean, 2.) ML63 builds speed much smoother than the CTT and is much quieter, 3.) Overall the ML63 has a more "polished" feel.

A few minuses for the ML63: 1.) Outside rear view mirrors are too small, 2.) Navigation map has had a couple of street/roads missing, 3.) Running boards are tacky.

Overall, IMO the ML63 is more fun to drive and it's mainly due to the very responsive engine and 7 speed automatic transmission. You don't have to drive it in manual mode like the CTT to get instant response. What a joy! Performance wise I would say the CTTS and ML63 are going to be close to even. I weighed the ML63 (5240lbs. with half tank of gas) and I've previously weighed the CTT (5550lbs. with full tank of gas). Off the line the ML63 will have an advantage but after that I don't know.

Bottom line: ML63 with most options has an MSRP of around $94K including the rear dvd system. A CTTS (in your case) has an MSRP of around $120K with a good compliment of options. Out the door price right now on an ML63 is close to MSRP and you probably already know that you can negotiate atleast $10K off the CTTS. So a savings of around $17 - $18K, which is nothing to sneeze at.

Hope this helps.

P.S. I drove both the CTT's that I owned a total of about 21K miles and had most of the problems that you've read about here. Pulling to the right, ignition coils and I experienced horrendous customer service from my local (and only) Porsche dealer...Gaudin Porsche, Las Vegas, Nevada.

I don't think anyone is questioning the power and ability of the ML63. I think question is more, "is the grass greener on the other side". For you it might be, but for me, it was not. Granted I didn't own a Ml63, it was a ML500. It had all sorts of problems, even after being produced for several years. You don't need to seach hard on the ML forums to find people who have had significant issues with their first year ML's. I would add that in the NY area there are literally 6 MB dealers and I have tried 3 of them and not one has approached the level of service I get from Porsche. One ML dealer actually/actively accepts bribes to get service appointments.
Old 10-02-2006, 11:23 AM
HD911
Racer

The ML63 looks very good but as others have pointed out it is the first year for the 63 and MB has had some major issues with their 722.9 tranny (the new 7 speed).
Also the ML63 is assembled in Vance, Alabama compared to the Cayenne being built and assembled in Germany, personally if I am buying a $90-100K German high performance SUV I prefer that its actually built in Germany, not Alabama. Just my 0.02 cents
Old 10-02-2006, 11:44 AM
henna gaijin
Intermediate

Originally Posted by HD911
Also the ML63 is assembled in Vance, Alabama compared to the Cayenne being built and assembled in Germany, personally if I am buying a $90-100K German high performance SUV I prefer that its actually built in Germany, not Alabama. Just my 0.02 cents
Cayenne built in Germany?

Really?

Quick Reply: Purchasing the Cayenne Turbo S