Help me pick the right Cayenne

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2006, 12:42 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Help me pick the right Cayenne

Okay, I've done the search and I know it can be a tough crowd in here on this topic, but here goes anyway. I'm considering buying a CPO Cayenne S to tow my 82 SC to the track (trailex open trailer). Total tow weight is probably around 3500-4000 lbs. Not interested in the Alpha/Beta badge of courage so I'm thinking 05 S. Seems like some people think the air suspension is a must. What else shoud I be thinking about? I'm planning on finding a car with the oem tow package or having it dealer installed and then dealing with the brake controller myself based on the information from this board. Looking for any comments on my choice as well as any additional tips from others with a similar tow setup. Fire away...

Thanks,
Sean
Old 08-16-2006, 01:08 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 1957 356
Okay, I've done the search and I know it can be a tough crowd in here on this topic, but here goes anyway.
What tough crowd? Tough love perhaps.....

I'm considering buying a CPO Cayenne S to tow my 82 SC to the track (trailex open trailer).
Hmmmn, as long as you don't have surge brakes on that Trailex (I actually saw an older one once which seemed odd), you should not suffer "!", since 'electrically' the lighting configuration/load on that trailex is what 1D6 was designed against.
Furthermore, you will likely be able to successfully tow with stock mirrors, since you have decent rear visibility on an open.

Total tow weight is probably around 3500-4000 lbs.
Piece of cake, mechanically.

Not interested in the Alpha/Beta badge of courage so I'm thinking 05 S.
Coward.

Seems like some people think the air suspension is a must.
No, not a must, but highly desireable for stability/load leveling. As long as you are careful about tongue weight/positioning on the Trailex, a steel suspension would be OK.

What else shoud I be thinking about?
Cayenne ownership is an adventure, don't think about what tomorrow may bring (flat tire without a spare, etc). Live for the moment.

I'm planning on finding a car with the oem tow package or having it dealer installed and then dealing with the brake controller myself based on the information from this board.
Brake controller DIY has been posted here and works well. The Prodigy workaround has also been posted, courtesy of JFScheck IIRC.

Looking for any comments on my choice as well as any additional tips from others with a similar tow setup. Fire away...Thanks,
Sean
May the force be with you.
Old 08-16-2006, 01:23 PM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Okay, I've done the search and I know it can be a tough crowd in here on this topic, but here goes anyway. I'm considering buying a CPO Cayenne S to tow my 82 SC to the track (trailex open trailer). Total tow weight is probably around 3500-4000 lbs. Not interested in the Alpha/Beta badge of courage so I'm thinking 05 S. Seems like some people think the air suspension is a must. What else shoud I be thinking about? I'm planning on finding a car with the oem tow package or having it dealer installed and then dealing with the brake controller myself based on the information from this board. Looking for any comments on my choice as well as any additional tips from others with a similar tow setup. Fire away...

Thanks,
Sean
Tough crowd.. us???? we are harmless little boys with Porsche Cayenne tracks all over our backside!? A 05 is better.. agree with LTC on all points.. with one notable exception....... the NAVY is an adventure.. Cayenne ownership is more like a soap opera... bring your tissues and be prepared for love/hate/love/hate// marriage/divorce etc. etc.
Old 08-16-2006, 02:19 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

The other option I'm considering is a new Tahoe or Yukon, but how boring would that be (although then I'd get the big @ss enclosed trailer which has its merits)? I think you need a little drama with cars. My 82 SC has made me cry on more than a couple occasions (usually when it's on jack stands and I'm underneath it and every so often on the track).

I'm curious ltc, you got rid of your Cayenne but you're pretty active on this board. Is it like losing a limb - still feels like it's there?

Sean
Old 08-16-2006, 02:35 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

I'm curious ltc, you got rid of your Cayenne but you're pretty active on this board. Is it like losing a limb - still feels like it's there?
Sean
Cayenne? What Cayenne? I never owned a Cayenne, never had a problem with a Cayenne.....wait a minute.....are you a lawyer?

Not really like losing a limb.....more like Herpes.....it never really goes away, just sort of hides and comes back occasionally.

Pretty active = Pretty bored.

https://rennlist.com/forums/attachme...chmentid=99040
https://rennlist.com/forums/attachme...chmentid=99038

Last edited by ltc; 08-16-2006 at 02:40 PM. Reason: added MadFox original artwork links
Old 08-16-2006, 02:39 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

The other option I'm considering is a new Tahoe or Yukon, but how boring would that be (although then I'd get the big @ss enclosed trailer which has its merits)?
https://rennlist.com/forums/attachme...hmentid=132962
https://rennlist.com/forums/attachme...chmentid=97134

Boring? 44 gallon tank, 12000# towing capacity, Powerstroke diesel, 4x4, dual zone A/C, leather everywhere, no "!".......Boring, if you say so.
Old 08-16-2006, 02:47 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

One more question, is the v6 a no-go for the Cayenne?
Old 08-16-2006, 03:03 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Define what is No-Go.

V6, V8, V8TT, V8TTS all have the same rated towing capacity (although common sense must kick in at some point if you consider towing 7700# with 250hp vs 520hp....but I digress)

V6 Cayenne has an Audi/VW engine with PAG designed intake, otherwise a Cayenne is a Cayenne is a Cayenne is a Tourareg.....damn I didn't mean to say that.

The V6 also has some issues regarding brake caliper/wheel compatibilty which has been discussed.

Towing with a Cayenne, 10mpg with a 26 gallon tank, will likely mean frequent stops for gas.
I can drive non stop from Boston to Watkins Glen, towing 5K+ lbs on a single tank and still arrive with more than a quarter tank left.
Old 08-16-2006, 03:16 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

That's what I meant by no-go. I just like reading your posts. That $150 ticket at the pump can't feel good.
Old 08-16-2006, 03:19 PM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 965 Likes on 589 Posts

I usually tow an enclosed ATC aluminum trailer with my PASM CS- does fine (once you figure out how many running lights to disconnect) but I used a friend's open ATC aluminum once this summer (with a spec Miata on it) and it towed that like there wasn't anything back there. You should be able to tow with no problem and then have a decent vehicle to use when you're not towing...
Old 08-16-2006, 03:31 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

I just like reading your posts.
That's what I'm here for.....

That $150 ticket at the pump can't feel good.
Actually it feels just fine, thank you very much. I recall my father saying years ago "If you have to ask what it gets for fuel mileage, then you shouldn't own a Cadillac"
Unloaded, the Excursion gets 20mpg, 15mpg when towing, I have no problem with that.

Think of it like a MasterCard commercial:

2005 Ford Excursion 4x4 6.0l Powerstroke Eddie Bauer Edition: $50,000
44 gallons of diesel fuel: $130
Being able to tow at night, headlights/trailer lights working, with no Maglites taped to the front of the vehicle and never see "!": Priceless
Old 08-16-2006, 04:05 PM
yetis
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
Being able to tow at night, headlights/trailer lights working, with no Maglites taped to the front of the vehicle and never see "!": Priceless
I would have paid to see that. I just think of the Porsche promo picture, showing the Cayenne towing the boat and a Cayenne with maglites tapes to the hood.
Old 08-16-2006, 04:20 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by yetis
I would have paid to see that. I just think of the Porsche promo picture, showing the Cayenne towing the boat and a Cayenne with maglites tapes to the hood.
There was NO way I was NOT making it to Lime Rock with the Cup car that morning.
I did get a few looks when I pulled into the paddock to sign in, and I did get quite a few 'comments' from the 18 wheelers on the MA Pike that morning....lights flashing, horns blaring.

Ah, the fond memories.
Old 08-16-2006, 04:35 PM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ltc
That's what I'm here for.....
you mean you're not here to taunt me in my NAKEDNESS????
Originally Posted by ltc
Think of it like a MasterCard commercial: 2005 Ford Excursion 4x4 6.0l Powerstroke Eddie Bauer Edition: $50,000 -- 44 gallons of diesel fuel: $130 --Being able to tow at night, headlights/trailer lights working, with no Maglites taped to the front of the vehicle and never see "!": Priceless
To quote you: "Coward"
Old 08-16-2006, 05:03 PM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maglites taped to the front of the Cayenne - now THAT would be a funny commercial...

Quick Reply: Help me pick the right Cayenne