Old 08-03-2006, 03:40 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Secondary Cat Bypass and Muffler Walkthrough

I don't know if anyone has done this or not for you guys, but I installed a set of secondary cat bypasses and catback exhaust yesterday on a Cayenne S, and figured I would shoot some pictures of the install:

http://www.turbo911.com/showthread.php?t=305
Old 08-03-2006, 03:49 PM
Kooser
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PorscheDoc
I don't know if anyone has done this or not for you guys, but I installed a set of secondary cat bypasses and catback exhaust yesterday on a Cayenne S, and figured I would shoot some pictures of the install:

http://www.turbo911.com/showthread.php?t=305
Great post. This is what the forum is all about. It will assist many future users to come. Thanx
Old 08-03-2006, 04:03 PM
NelsonF
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Cayenne Bypass

Great info and nice job, Stephen. I think I'll check out the cat bypass pipes. Now, if only GIAC would update their s/w upgrade for the Turbo to accomodate my new Turbo S.
Old 08-04-2006, 10:27 AM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Kooser
Great post. This is what the forum is all about. It will assist many future users to come. Thanx
Yep.... It will assist me tonight as I bolt in the cat bypass pipes.

Thanks for the write-up!
Old 08-04-2006, 01:21 PM
Stone43
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, great post. I almost thought I mistakenly landed on a 911 forum (I used to spend way too much time on that one).

I had my cat bypass pipes installed around 4 months ago. I like them but do not love them. I am still trying to get used to that "metallic" sound when you first step on it and the engine is ramping up RPM's. I can see where the muffler will truly complete the job, but I just have not been able to justify the extra expense (yet).

I could not believe the size difference between the mufflers in your pictures.

Excellent job, as I am sure this will be referred to a lot since this is such a popular upgrade.
Old 08-04-2006, 07:14 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Stone43
Wow, great post. I almost thought I mistakenly landed on a 911 forum (I used to spend way too much time on that one).

I had my cat bypass pipes installed around 4 months ago. I like them but do not love them. I am still trying to get used to that "metallic" sound when you first step on it and the engine is ramping up RPM's. I can see where the muffler will truly complete the job, but I just have not been able to justify the extra expense (yet).

I could not believe the size difference between the mufflers in your pictures.

Excellent job, as I am sure this will be referred to a lot since this is such a popular upgrade.

I have done quite a few secondary cat bypass pipes on V8 touaregs, without doing the muffler, and I agree, I think to maximize the sound and get rid of the metallic sound, you really need to do the muffler as well. I think the metallic sound is a little worse on the Touaregs, I don't know if that is because of the different intakes or not. On the cayenne with the muffler, the sound is very throaty, but when driving, it isn't over powering like some mufflers are on 911's. Standing behind the rig though, you know it means business I was quite shocked at the size difference as well. Even with it laying the ground, it was a beast to turn over.
Old 08-05-2006, 12:49 AM
Cognac
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Great post!!!
Any air filters by any chance?
Old 08-05-2006, 10:12 AM
Gert
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 40 Likes on 20 Posts

Hi Stephen,

You can loosen that difficult #3 nut of the passenger side cat by using a very long extention on the ratchet. Open the hood and you can reach it via the right side of the engine.
Old 08-06-2006, 12:35 AM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Gert
Hi Stephen,

You can loosen that difficult #3 nut of the passenger side cat by using a very long extention on the ratchet. Open the hood and you can reach it via the right side of the engine.
Yup, a really long extension and you can get it from up top as well. I have the curved wrenches, just usually do it from underneath.

Karl
Old 08-06-2006, 11:07 PM
Budget M3
Racer

I expect to install my bypass as soon as it arrives in the mail. Since I did not have either tool, I searched Sears and a few local specialty tool shops for the curved wrenches--not an easy tool to find! Where did you get yours, Doc? Alternatively, how long does the ratchet extension need to be?

Thanks!
Old 08-07-2006, 09:42 AM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Mine are actually snap on, but sears should have half moon wrenches, that is a bit odd that they wouldn't. Lol, to get it with an extension, you are going to need a couple of feet easily.
Old 08-08-2006, 01:52 AM
Budget M3
Racer

Originally Posted by PorscheDoc
Mine are actually snap on, but sears should have half moon wrenches, that is a bit odd that they wouldn't. Lol, to get it with an extension, you are going to need a couple of feet easily.
Thx, Doc...Sears now only carries exactly ONE half moon wrench in the current parts catalog, and it's an SAE size to boot...looks like I'll be buying that 2+ foot extension....
Old 08-11-2006, 12:02 AM
Raptor
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Doc: Nice post. Good detail. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Secondary Cat Bypass and Muffler Walkthrough