Sponsored by:

Cayenne Turbo S in Snow?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2006, 03:49 PM
Dave_D
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
Interesting there's a used Turbo S so soon after being launched.
Indeed. A Carfax report revealed the car to be, in fact, an '04 Turbo. The previous owner had replaced the insignia on the trunk, in addition to some other cosmetic "upgrades." I didn't bother to ask whether the upgraded insignia reflected changes under the hood or whether the seller simply had "issues."

Dave
Old 02-06-2014, 12:01 AM
diones
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cayenne Turbo is sketchy in snow

I've driven the roads in Colorado Rockies since I was 14. Many a vehicle I've put through the paces in all conditions and in particular adverse snowy conditions on the high mtn passes.

I always fit my vehicles with studded snow tires at all 4 corners, and so it is with my 2005 Cayenne Turbo. General Grabber AT-2 with half studs (inside edge). And the Cayenne drives adequately, but when pushed it gets loose, real loose.

PSM is of limited value at high speeds in the snow (my opinion). It does not inspire confidence. Perhaps it was the choice of the Grabber AT-2's (a certified snow tire) and normally studs will help.

Well, coming up Vail pass earlier today (after around 40" of snow in the last several days) the Cayenneski wouldn't track solid. Roamed within the snow groove and was not solid. Later driving up the Eisenhower tunnel approach, when I goosed the throttle, the back end actually broke loose (at 65+ mph with PSM on). Disconcerting.

Again, it may be the tires. Originally I had Michelin Arctic Alpine, but quickly switched over to the Generals (due to the HR speed rating and ability to stud).

But bottomline - I've driven lots in the mtns and in deep snow at speed (including icy conditions too). And the Cayenne is not ideal. I think it's due to it's short wheelbase and over powered nature. The turbo comes on in a rush and urges the wheels to break loose.

But in the dry, and with proper Continental Extreme Contact tires, it is the bomb and nothing can hang with it when the hammer is down and pulling up that long grade to the top of the hill.
Old 02-06-2014, 12:11 AM
Cole
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've also driven the Colorado Rockies for the last 25 years. Getting in 40-50 days of skiing a year. Teaching the Audi ice driving schools, ice racing, etc.

Cayenne is fine! Not sketchy at all! Sounds like your tires and driving style to me!

Need to keep in mind that this thing is intended to be a SPORTS utility vehicle and has a rear biased torque split and an "aggressive" PSM designed to let you toss the car around. (It doesn't nanny you at every twitch of the steering like an Audi, Subaru, etc)

It the turbo is overwhelming you and breaking the tires loose, that it a problem of the right foot and tire combo, not the car. There is nothing abrupt or unpredictable about the power curve of the turbo, just too much throttle applied too choppy!

Hell.....I drove these "ultra high performance all seasons" for a few years to wear them out and never had an issue! Drive in the snow and ice a LOT!!

Old 02-06-2014, 11:54 PM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 126 Posts

Wow! Holy seriously old thread resurrection batman! This thread is 8 years old.
Old 02-07-2014, 12:57 AM
Cole
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TomF
Wow! Holy seriously old thread resurrection batman! This thread is 8 years old.
Yeah, I noticed that too! But, if people want to post?! Didn't think it was fair to leave the thread with a 1 time poster making wild claims!
Old 02-07-2014, 09:53 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,244 Likes on 781 Posts

My Cayenne S with 18" wheels and Michelin Latitude Alpin tires is great in the snow. It's very stable and has excellent traction. I drive it on Colorado Rocky Mountain passes on a regular basis.
Old 12-04-2014, 12:07 AM
dpolson
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cayenne Turbo S winter tires

I drive a 2006 Cayenne Turbo S in the Colorado winter at a home elevation of 8500 feet. I use Blizzaks on 20" wheels. Two things to remember: The Turbo S's front brakes are SO BIG that the Sport Techno 20" wheels (stock) fit but the 20" Sport Design (which I bought for winter use) require a 5 mm spacer in the front! Supposedly the 19" Sport Design can be made to fit, but again, they may need a spacer in the front. The biggest drawback with these big wheels is the width. Narrow is better in snow. I use Blizzaks with great success. Next thing to keep in mind with the Turbo S: you can use a diameter that is quite a bit bigger than the stock 29". Don't limit yourself to TireRack's recommended sizes. Look at stuff in the 30" range, even up to 31". Taller is better. I keep getting snow packed into the wheels and it seriously throws off the balance and caused bad vibration.
Old 12-05-2014, 04:24 PM
wrinkledpants
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by diones
I've driven the roads in Colorado Rockies since I was 14. Many a vehicle I've put through the paces in all conditions and in particular adverse snowy conditions on the high mtn passes.

I always fit my vehicles with studded snow tires at all 4 corners, and so it is with my 2005 Cayenne Turbo. General Grabber AT-2 with half studs (inside edge). And the Cayenne drives adequately, but when pushed it gets loose, real loose.

PSM is of limited value at high speeds in the snow (my opinion). It does not inspire confidence. Perhaps it was the choice of the Grabber AT-2's (a certified snow tire) and normally studs will help.

Well, coming up Vail pass earlier today (after around 40" of snow in the last several days) the Cayenneski wouldn't track solid. Roamed within the snow groove and was not solid. Later driving up the Eisenhower tunnel approach, when I goosed the throttle, the back end actually broke loose (at 65+ mph with PSM on). Disconcerting.

Again, it may be the tires. Originally I had Michelin Arctic Alpine, but quickly switched over to the Generals (due to the HR speed rating and ability to stud).

But bottomline - I've driven lots in the mtns and in deep snow at speed (including icy conditions too). And the Cayenne is not ideal. I think it's due to it's short wheelbase and over powered nature. The turbo comes on in a rush and urges the wheels to break loose.

But in the dry, and with proper Continental Extreme Contact tires, it is the bomb and nothing can hang with it when the hammer is down and pulling up that long grade to the top of the hill.
Pretty sure those tires aren't MS rated. A none MS rated tire with studs is a terrible idea. Some sizes are, but it looks like all the CTT sizes aren't. You might have an alignment issue or something, too.

I've got DMV1's in 275/45/20 and live in Denver. I don't have any of the issues you're talking about. Sure, the tires are a bit mushy when warm, but I have no issues doing illegal speeds one handed while sipping a latte up I-70 when it's crappy. I don't even know how you can get loose in the slippery conditions with PSM on. I get TC almost immediately when a tire slips. Combine that with a near 50/50 weight distribution, and the car is fantastic in the snow.
Old 12-06-2014, 01:17 AM
PCA1983
Rennlist Member

Received 445 Likes on 305 Posts

Originally Posted by 426H
I think a dedicated winter tire will be a better choice for winter driving in Tahoe. A skinny 235 18'' gives best traction on snow with the non powerkit/turboS cayennes, but I think you will be ok with a 255 19'' winter tire. Wider is a bad idea.
Agree. Narrower and higher profile are better for wintry driving.

Quick Reply: Cayenne Turbo S in Snow?