Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 (https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-955-957-2003-2010-77/)
-   -   Extenede Warranty - Great Lakes Warranty Corp? (https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-955-957-2003-2010/271895-extenede-warranty-great-lakes-warranty-corp.html)

momoC4S 05-08-2006 06:14 PM

Extenede Warranty - Great Lakes Warranty Corp?

So...I've been reading the hilarious posts from all of the kool-aid drinking owners and trying to convince my wife the Cayenne is not the vehicle for her/us. You all can probably guess how much attention she paid to my various protests... :surr:

I've narrowed the search down to about 3. The one I have a question about is an 04 CS with 20K on it. I can supposedly get an extended warranty through a company called, Great Lakes Warranty Corp. I did a search in this forum and came up with nothing. Has anyone heard of them? actually had their coverage?

Also, is a 12/2003 build date CS still considered one to stay away from due to initial bugs? Lewis, I know...there are no bugs in these vehicles!! :biggulp: See, I am starting to

Thanks for any info that you all can pass along!

Morgan

MadFox 05-08-2006 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by momoC4S
The one I have a question about is an 04 CS with 20K on it. I can supposedly get an extended warranty through a company called, Great Lakes Warranty Corp. I did a search in this forum and came up with nothing. Has anyone heard of them? actually had their coverage? Also, is a 12/2003 build date CS still considered one to stay away from due to initial bugs? Lewis, I know...there are no bugs in these vehicles!! :biggulp: See, I am starting to. Thanks for any info that you all can pass along! Morgan

Honestly, I wouldn't buy a '03/'04 Cayenne unless it was through the dealership with a CPO. The Ext. Warranty needs to be read thoroughly.. they are not likely to match up with a CPO even with a zero deductible. I have a 4/03 build, 2004 S and with all the updates and the forum provided info.. I've had no major/minor issues post-warranty (if you don't count 4 hours for a flat repair as "major"). I'm naked but not by choice. I cannot get ext. warranty now as I'm past the original manf. warranty, but, I digress! :icon501:

Ext. warranty companies are regulated federally and by the state who charters them. You need to see what state controls the company's certificate to do business and then you need to examine who does the re-insurance on that company. Both were found in default in my case by the state of Hawaii and are out of business. It ends up being like a bankruptcy so it will be years before I get anything.. and that's probably a big "if"! :surr:

356driver 05-08-2006 10:12 PM

In spite of the gripes on the forum you might be surprised that *most* of us actually enjoy our Cayennes. I have a 6/03 build 2004 Cayenne Turbo and (after all the glitches were cured) it has been a fairly robust vehicle. That being said, the 2005/06 models are probably a better choice unless you are very price concious. BTW your C4S is a beauty.

MadFox 05-09-2006 12:28 AM

Originally Posted by 356driver
In spite of the gripes on the forum you might be surprised that *most* of us actually enjoy our Cayennes. I have a 6/03 build 2004 Cayenne Turbo and (after all the glitches were cured) it has been a fairly robust vehicle. That being said, the 2005/06 models are probably a better choice unless you are very price concious. BTW your C4S is a beauty.

Gripes what Gripes? :roflmao:
I agree once all the glitches were cured... I love my Cayenne..
Fear of the Unknown NAKED... I hate my Cayenne.
Handling/Power/Still turning heads/Asst. Pro saying "nice ride".. I love my Cayenne.

My current dilemma is: Do I get a CPO Cayenne ('05 or '06) and keep until 2011/2012 (wow that sounds weird) or just keep driving the current one or trade for a 997 cab./and a second used Volvo sedan for youngest's permit vehicle and then get a new Cayenne in a year when she's driving? I've been conflicted for awhile.. but a 997 base cab. is coming in outfitted the way I like and they have 12 on the lot.. seems like the end of May could yield a good deal..

Anyone care to persuade me with your vote since we solved momoc4s' Cayenne problem?!!? :confused: :evilgrin:

356driver 05-09-2006 01:11 AM

Originally Posted by MadFox
Anyone care to persuade me with your vote since we solved momoc4s' Cayenne problem?!!?

MadFox, most people would love to have such problems.
:thumbup:

MadFox 05-09-2006 01:29 AM

Originally Posted by 356driver
MadFox, most people would love to have such problems.
:thumbup:

Exactly my point... so why do so many of these newbies get their panties in a wad... relax.. enjoy the view and ponder whether thou should indulge in more toys or more practicality.. :p :bigbye:

momoC4S 05-09-2006 05:09 PM

Madfox....I'm only slightly biased when it comes to 911's so you know what my vote would be - 997! Like so many of us, I like the toys. There...all of our questions have been answered in one quick thread.;-)

Thanks for the feedback MadFox and 356Driver, and for the compliment on my other Porsche.

MadFox...where in Alabama? I spent a few years at Auburn...miss the area and my youth!!

MadFox 05-10-2006 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by momoC4S
Madfox....I'm only slightly biased when it comes to 911's so you know what my vote would be - 997! Like so many of us, I like the toys. There...all of our questions have been answered in one quick thread.;-)

Thanks for the feedback MadFox and 356Driver, and for the compliment on my other Porsche.

MadFox...where in Alabama? I spent a few years at Auburn...miss the area and my youth!!

Bias is a "good thing" and a 911 is in my future .. it is just a matter of when!

Birmingham.. Auburn is a great place but then the whole state is.. most folks don't realize how green and hilly it is and how the weather is pretty nice year round (July/August a little steamy late afternoon). Hey, Golf year-round. I like it!

356driver 05-10-2006 05:54 PM

Madfox, I have to weigh in with one last thought. With 993's running in the $40K range why not have your cake and eat it too? You are sure to fork out at least that much trading in your Cayenne for a 997. A 993 is a chance to own history, which is kind of cool speaking from experience (see avatar). And better yet, the 993 won't depreciate like a 997.

mjw930 05-12-2006 10:02 PM

Back to your original question, I've been going through the same thing. I had a talk with the service manager at my dealership, asking about aftermarket warraties and I was surprised with the answer. He says that as long as it's a reputable company then the coverage is about the same as with a CPO. They like Warrantytech, GE Capital, CNA and Mercury but all of these except Mercury are only sold through dealerships.

I found a good candidate but it's not at a Porsche dealer. My dealer ran the VIN and considering the 09/15/04 In service date and the minimal warranty claims (tip switch, key fobs and all the "campaigns" have been applied) he said it looked like a good deal and that he would buy the truck, if I can get them to throw in a warranty then he thinks it's as good as many CPO vehicles.

BTW, I priced a policy with Mercury through http://www.autowarrantybroker.com/ and it came up this way. These numbers are from the plan purchase date, not the in-service date.

# Gold Plan (Total Miles) 15 Components - Bumper to Bumper By Mercury
View Details

2004 Porsche Cayenne Turbo

TERMS
Deductible $0
Deductible $50
Deductible $100

60 Months / 60000 Miles

$2,536
$2,486
$2,411

60 Months / 75000 Miles

$2,991
$2,941
$2,866

60 Months / 85000 Miles

$3,236
$3,186
$3,111

60 Months / 100000 Miles

$3,666
$3,616
$3,541

72 Months / 75000 Miles

$3,096
$3,046
$2,971

72 Months / 100000 Miles

$3,856
$3,806
$3,731

ms914GT 05-17-2006 02:27 AM

Back to your original question
I sure would like to find a good company in Ca. these Great Lakes guys are not licensed here, and do not seem interested in the Ca. market. :mad:

mjw930 05-17-2006 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by ms914GT
I sure would like to find a good company in Ca. these Great Lakes guys are not licensed here, and do not seem interested in the Ca. market. :mad:

Call your dealer ans ask who they use. Talk to the finance manager, they can sell it to anyone.

ms914GT 05-18-2006 03:00 AM

Call your dealer ans ask who they use. Talk to the finance manager, they can sell it to anyone.
Dealer in So. Cal sells JM&A, but at a hefty hefty markup, comparing to Great Lakes costs. :( It makes little sense to me to pay the dealer an unnecessary generous commission on essentially an insurance policy.

mjw930 05-18-2006 08:25 AM

Also check to see if AAA in your area resells extended coverage. They offer Zero deductable coverage for less than the stealers marked up prices AND if you are a AAA member they extend the coverage to none covered parts that cause a covered part to fail. In my area they resell American Mercury coverage.

ms914GT 05-20-2006 11:53 AM

That would be a no with AAA in Kahleeforneeah (Arnold terminator voice) Going to keep looking as I really donot want to be seen naked, got 16 months to look. N E 1 else goin naked here (ca) soon?