Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6 Speed Manual CS

Old 03-29-2006, 07:47 PM
BigLou
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default 6 Speed Manual CS

Has anyone heard if we will ever get the 6 Speed Manual Cayenne S in the U.S.? Maybe with the redesign? I would love to have one with a V8 and a Manual tranny. I know it wouldn't be much faster than the Tip, if at all, but I am sure the fun factor would be great.

Lou
Old 03-29-2006, 08:27 PM
scottsa2
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The U.S. PCNA web page has shown it for over a year but everyone I ask (at dealers and Autoshows) say that no one can predict when it would be available here, if ever. I have a 6 speed six cylinder Cayenne that I just love driving. It took several months to find a dealer that even had an allotment for a manual transmission unit and several more months to get it after ordering... apparently few are made available. It feels heavier than the S due to the smaller displacement. But I assure you that once I am moving it is quick and spry. It is simply a joy after 8 months trouble free ownership.
Old 03-29-2006, 09:07 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

A moderator from another board in Germany has test driven the stick S (he has sport car and a TT) and found it suprisingly dull.

He was suprised how the TIP controlled the weight of the car and made it feel light, the stick felt heavy.
Old 03-29-2006, 11:44 PM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 874 Likes on 531 Posts

I've always driven sticks and tried a X5 stick when it came out and was very unimpressed. Long throws, hard clutch to modulate, etc. After 20 minutes I couldn't wait to take it back. Not sure I'd want to drive something like the Cayenne with a stick, especially when towing- the tip feature works fine in that kind of vehicle, and I'm a big manual guy...
Old 03-30-2006, 12:18 AM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BigLou
Has anyone heard if we will ever get the 6 Speed Manual Cayenne S in the U.S.? Maybe with the redesign? I would love to have one with a V8 and a Manual tranny. I know it wouldn't be much faster than the Tip, if at all, but I am sure the fun factor would be great. Lou
Lou, you may or may not be aware that in addition to the typical tiptronic on the steering wheel, the Cayenne has a manual tip on the automatic "stick". It is fantastic for dynamic braking and I use it all the time to "feel" manual in this vehicle. Particularly on subdivision streets or in heavy traffic, it is a great way to "hold" a gear. And the really nice feature is that you don't have to worry about the clutch.. the computer automatically cuts the throttle and allows you to shift at almost any RPM. I would think as heavy as this "beast" is that holding a steep grade at a stoplight with your clutch would be a major pain in the ****. So, go try the "stick" tip at the dealer.. I think you'll find that it will satisfy your FUN NEED.
Old 03-30-2006, 12:51 AM
BigLou
Rennlist Member

MadFox,That is a good point, I do like the fact that the Tips can be controlled manually from the stick in addition to the buttons on the wheel. I am not a fan of the buttons on the wheel. My Lexus IS300 has them and they are not that fun to use, they aren't in a natural position on the wheel. I suppose if they were paddles they would be easier to use.

Any idea what you guys with the CS's are putting down as far as 0-60 times. I know Porsche is always conservative with their numbers, they list a 0-60 time of 6.8.....does shifting manual make any difference.
Or anyone taken theirs around a road course comparing auto tip vs maunal tip and had different times. I know they aren't exactly the ideal track star, just curious.
Lou
Old 03-30-2006, 01:17 AM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

MadFox,That is a good point, I do like the fact that the Tips can be controlled manually from the stick in addition to the buttons on the wheel. I am not a fan of the buttons on the wheel.
I never use the tips on the steering wheel... never got used to it.. never remember they are there and lastly, I'm so used to my rt. hand being on the gear shift. If the 911's had this type of tip.. I would buy an automatic.. but, alas they do not and when I get the 997 cab. it will be manual.
Any idea what you guys with the CS's are putting down as far as 0-60 times. I know Porsche is always conservative with their numbers, they list a 0-60 time of 6.8.....does shifting manual make any difference. Or anyone taken theirs around a road course comparing auto tip vs maunal tip and had different times. I know they aren't exactly the ideal track star, just curious.
Lou
I've never actually timed nor thought about it when "punching" it off the line with some pimpley-kid who wants to drag next to me. It is fast enough that you can keep up or beat most vehicles.. but obviously anything that has a 4-5 second 0-60 will keep a Cayenne at bay. However, from 20-80 or even to 100 plus.. really it is as quick as just about anything.. getting nearly 3 tons moving from a standstill is simply tough PHYSICS!! Once you have inertia.. WATCH out.. your 340 plus HP is more than ample.
Old 03-30-2006, 08:58 AM
Chriz
Advanced

I know it wouldn't be much faster than the Tip, if at all, but I am sure the fun factor would be great.

Lou
The CS with manual tranny is slightly faster, 0-60mph is 6.4s compared to 6.8 with tiptronic. The gear ratio is smaller ie motor revs higher at same speed and gear compared to tiptronic. That makes the 6th gear of the manual tranny a 'real' 6th gear, while the 6th in tiptronic is more like an overdrive. All in all i find that the manual shift CS is the more sportier car.
Old 03-30-2006, 11:39 AM
BigLou
Rennlist Member

Well, let's hope it comes to the U.S. in the near future and I get a chance to compare the two.

Lou
Old 03-30-2006, 12:53 PM
Chriz
Advanced

I have to admit that my CS has tiptronic. Its my every day car and i find that the tip is harmonizing very well with the engine and car charecteristics. I would never even think about buying a 911 with tip. Even thogh they tell you that the new 911TT is faster with tip than without.
Old 03-30-2006, 01:46 PM
356driver
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The tiptronic has its pluses and minuses.

The default transmission mapping favors mileage over performance so you tend to find the engine at low RPM's and out of its optimal torque range at a time when you want to move out. There is an annoying downshift hesitation when you stomp on the pedal that accentuates the problem. Therefore you get used to tipping a steering wheel button or throwing the stick back when you want immediate gratification. Most of the above posts address the button vs. stick arguments but it really gets down to personal preference.

On the plus side the tiptronic is very useful in off-road or snow conditions. The traction management, downhill descent control and various other algorithms built into the tranny work very well. Also, the tiptronic seems to sense when you are braking to a stop and downshifts for you, which I think is a slick feature.

If speed is important you might consider a turbo. I was going to by an optioned-up S but found a slightly used turbo for only a few thousand dollars more. I have never regretted it - the acceleration is dramatic.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 6 Speed Manual CS