Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking to buy Cayenne...need some advice.

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2006, 01:46 AM
ElmerJFudd
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an '05 CS and I love it. No issues at all w/ 7k miles and 5 mos under my belt. While it has been a bit difficult going from an Audi S8 to this, I have absolutely no regrets. My guess is that is you go with an '05 or later, you'll have all the glitches worked out.

As for me, I'm looking to move to a Turbo...
Old 03-29-2006, 11:02 AM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by littlejt1
Have been leaning toward the CS, but may opt for the 6 mainly for mpg reasons. I have only really run across data on the CS and turbo when it comes to fuel economy. This will likely be a daily driver (so I can turn my 951 into a track star!)...I drive my 951 almost daily now.
There really is NO mileage difference betweena V6 and a S. I have consistently gotten 14-15 in town and nearly 20 highway (keeping below 80 and interstate fill-up to interstate fill-up on long trips). In the low 19's if I occassionally goose it and/or follow somebody going xxx.
..still looking to see if someone on here does their own wrenching and can let me know how easy/hard simple maintenances are (oil change, plugs, etc)...I don't mind taking things to the shop if need be, but I love working on them myself as well (recently replaced the clutch in the 951 in my garage). Thanks!!!
Mudman2 and several others do a lot of their own work.. from what I gather it isn't easy because of the size of the ***** engine in the compartment but it can be done.. me --- well, I've kept my dealer's service dept. busy with service and glitch repair. Thankfully, I believe that the gremlins are finally gone as I approach 70K miles. The Turbo will get good mileage if you "baby" it.. the V6 has too much weight and when I've had a V6 loaner you can see the RPM's significantly higher than on the S thus the mileage is no different than the S. In fact, my numbers are consistent with any posting here that I've seen as around the best you can expect. CPO is the way to go if you want to keep it until 100K. We naked guys are grinning and bearing it only because we had too.
Old 03-29-2006, 11:12 AM
charlieXS
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The difference between S and V6 seems to be small in city... in city driving I average 15.8mpg.

But on an open highway with the CC set @ 75mph... I can pull 23-25mpg. The V6 wastes all it's gas getting up to speed, but maintains it nicely.
Old 03-29-2006, 11:19 AM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by charlieXS
The difference between S and V6 seems to be small in city... in city driving I average 15.8mpg.

But on an open highway with the CC set @ 75mph... I can pull 23-25mpg. The V6 wastes all it's gas getting up to speed, but maintains it nicely.
You're the first to post those kind of numbers that I've seen here in this forum. That's great, but, you must be VERY easy on the throttle.
Old 03-29-2006, 01:21 PM
wingless
analyst
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 98 Posts

still looking to see if someone on here does their own wrenching and can let me know how easy/hard simple maintenances are (oil change, plugs, etc
My sig show plug / coil inspection and replacement, not bad for the driver's side, more involved for the passenger's side.

Oil change is no problem, except resetting the service indicator requires a $12K tool that requires $5K / year support contract. Or, just pay the dealer to reset the indicator. Two drain plugs on the V8.

No problem changing the cabin air filter.

The brake fluid is changed every two years, posts to follow.

The brakes and rotors last around 25 - 30 K mikes.
Old 03-30-2006, 06:18 PM
littlejt1
Racer

Great info!! Thanks to all...
On the V6 vs V8 info...exactly what I thought as the number on paper seemed to be nearly the same. I figured the 6 labored a bit pulling the weight of the thing!!

Still not 100% sure if I'm going to buy, and it will for sure be a low mile used, with ext warranty. Going to take my time and look around for the "right" one. Just about to put the 951 in the shop for a new paint job, so when I get it out and get tired of driving it (lol yeah right...like that'll happen)...
I might look a little harder.

As usual, the Rennlist community never fails helpnig out!!
Thanks to all!!

Quick Reply: Looking to buy Cayenne...need some advice.