Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lots of Coils Information -Slight Roughness at low speeds ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2006, 06:17 PM
jase700
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

from my dealer printout...

Customer states engine is running very roughly and has poor power
PO12C RANDOM CYLINDER MISFIRE.
PO132 MISFIRE DETECTED CYL #6
IGNITION COIL NOT FIRING
READ OUT FAULT MEMORY. PRINT OBDII REPORT
IGNITION COIL FOR CYL 6 BURNED AND CRACKED.
CHECK SPARK PLUG FOR CYL 6. PLUG FOULED BECAUSE OF FAULTY IGNITION COIL.
REPLACED CYL 6 IGNITION COIL AND SPARK PLUG.
CLEARED FAULT MEMORY. TEST DROVE VEHICLE
VEHICLE DROVE WITHOUT HESITATION AND ROUGHNESS.
NO FAULTS RETURNED.

I do have to admit that I still think it is acting funny.. I think they may have just super inflated my tires so I feel every single bump.....
Old 04-04-2006, 01:25 PM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

any chance that porsche will feel sorry for me needing coils at 52k??
Attached Images  
Old 04-04-2006, 01:49 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by tkerrmd
any chance that porsche will feel sorry for me needing coils at 52k??
Let's consult the same tool used by PCNA....the 'Magic Eight Ball'......give it a quick shake, turn it over, and ......

Sorry, not today.

PCNA feels your pain, as long as it doesn't cost them $$.

Sorry to hear about your 'naked' issues.
Old 04-04-2006, 02:22 PM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

thanks lewis, well at least it was fun being naked for 2k!!! Thanks for the majic eight ball input I couldnt find mine!!
Old 04-04-2006, 03:10 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Tom,
On a slightly more serious note, it sounds as though you have a good relationship with your dealer....and PCNA is quite aware of the 'issues' with cracked coils.

I would think that your dealer and PCNA could work out an arrangement as discussed (they pay for cracked coils, you pay for spark plugs and labor).

If not, then since you're naked, there is no reason not to go to an indepedent shop....changing coils/plugs on a Cayenne is very straightforward and likely much cheaper (parts & labor).

Naked Cayenne ownership can become an expensive habit, especially at dealer parts/labor prices.

P.S. I'm surprised I actually remembered the "magic 8 ball"...haven't seen one since I was a kid....wonder if they still make them.
Old 04-13-2006, 04:24 PM
jase700
Advanced

and the saga continues... got the CS back from service AGAIN, which they now replaced the rest of the coils.. tech noted coils were cracked and burned. they cleaned my spark plugs.. drove off and problem started right back up. just had my dad drive it around all day... he confirms the same thing STILL NOT FIXED..... going back to HBL of Tysons Corner VA on Monday...
Old 04-13-2006, 05:06 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Mine told me the plugs were destroyed by the stress
Old 04-13-2006, 05:10 PM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mudman2
Mine told me the plugs were destroyed by the stress
bad bad dealer... shame on them...
they have to do the plugs too.. both times on mine -- all coils all plugs..
although the part number is different on the new coils despite the ltc guru saying it is the exact same part (sorry, lewis they ACTUALLY did change the coil design, slightly).
Old 04-13-2006, 05:16 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by MadFox
....although the part number is different on the new coils despite the ltc guru saying it is the exact same part (sorry, lewis they ACTUALLY did change the coil design, slightly).
No need for apologies. Yes, the P/N is different, but it doesn't mean the part is (substantially) different....engineering document control applied to part tracking/phase in.

We'll see you at 100K miles...........
Old 04-13-2006, 05:28 PM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ltc
No need for apologies. Yes, the P/N is different, but it doesn't mean the part is (substantially) different....engineering document control applied to part tracking/phase in. We'll see you at 100K miles...........
It's trending toward 64K max!
Old 04-13-2006, 05:40 PM
wingless
analyst
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
P.S. I'm surprised I actually remembered the "magic 8 ball"...haven't seen one since I was a kid....wonder if they still make them.
The Magic 8 Ball is offered by Mattel. PCNA ensures that this essential tool is ready for action on each customer service agent's desk. Other equally responsive companies have transitioned to using the on-line version.
Old 08-21-2006, 06:20 PM
jase700
Advanced

My car has now been in like 5 times and now they are saying my spark plugs are fouled up.. How hard is it to replace the spark plugs? My dad and I are pretty handy around cars and I have a really nice torque wrench.

What kind of plugs should I get? Is there any where to get detailed instructions on how to do it?

The dealer wanted $650 for it.... No f'in way am I paying that much to have a $50 set of plugs replaced.

Thanks
Old 09-30-2006, 09:29 PM
psonnier
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coils Replaced

26k miles on my CS and had it in for servicing 2 weeks back to address rough idle, and a shudder/feeling like the engine is going to stall at low speeds/rpms. They diagnosed misfires during test drive and replaced ONLY the #5 pencil coil with the new version (p/n 948-602-104-01). After getting the CS back, the issue was still present. Knowing that I had 7 other of the old pencil coils, I took it back. Sure enough, they changed out the other 7 with the new p/n! This improved things dramatically, though there still seems to be a very slight roughness at idle. Unfortunately, they didn't check the spark plugs for fouling (I forgot to request it), so I will be doing that myself. Since I'm gonna check 'em, though, I figure I might as well be prepared to replace 'em. At only $4 a pop at the local auto parts chain store, that won't be a big hit. (I wonder how much 8 of the pencil coils would have cost me outside of warranty coverage?!)

My sincere thanks to all who posted in this forum on this topic!

Past ride:
1988 Carrera Coupe (gone to a good home)
Old 10-01-2006, 03:29 AM
jase700
Advanced

I actually got Porsche to replace all my sparkplugs under warranty. It only took 6 trips to the dealer with the same roughness problem. ;-)
Old 10-02-2006, 10:58 AM
droptop
Pro

Default gaaaaaahhhhhh

was sitting in a hotel parking lot waiting for a wedding party to get out of the way so i could leave (ducks in thunder?), and i noticed the CS is loping at idle about like my 71 pontiac used to. give it a little gas, and it levels out and the lights brighten a bit, then it starts loping again. turn the wheel to load the PS pump and it almost dies.

as my PCM died on me yesterday for most of the day, and then suddenly resurrected itself, the problems are stacking up pretty fast. if i wasn't in lemon law proceedings already, i guess i would be now.

one of the questions i have is "is there a redesigned part available aftermarket to solve the pencil coil problem?" in other words, is porsche just using up their stock of bad coils and there is a good batch somewhere down the pike, or is this a design problem that bosch hasn't licked yet?

i am beginning to think getting another one of these would be a bad idea.

DT

Quick Reply: Lots of Coils Information -Slight Roughness at low speeds ?