Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lots of Coils Information -Slight Roughness at low speeds ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2015, 05:00 PM
Matt55
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Having same problem thanks for all the info
Old 09-01-2015, 11:59 AM
Sniffer
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Has anyone replaced coils on the 957s?

I`m curious if its the same process as the 955s which required temporarily relocating the air pumps - I looked briefly last night but couldn't see any air pumps at the back side of the engine banks like the 955 pictures I saw

I`m getting a roughness when idling and hesitation at lower RPMs when accelerating (particularly on inclines) - for those that have had this issue does this sound like coils? (the car is still pretty new to me and I suspect it has had a bad coil/coils since I got it)

I`ve checked and I aint getting any codes to suggest there is an issue but I know from reading this thread that a bad coil/coils won't necessarily give a code, my seat-of-the-pants code reader strongly suggests there is an issue though

So what are the latest coil part numbers? And what are people replacing the originals with? Genuine Porsche (would imagine they're simply Bosch or Beru in a different frock with a bigger price tag) or Bosch/Beru etc?
Old 09-01-2015, 03:20 PM
Sniffer
Rennlist Member

Forgot to ask - has anyone attempted to electrically test (ohms etc) the coils to verify which is good?
Old 09-14-2015, 06:23 PM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Sniffer

I`m curious if its the same process as the 955s which required temporarily relocating the air pumps - I looked briefly last night but couldn't see any air pumps at the back side of the engine banks like the 955 pictures I saw

I`m getting a roughness when idling and hesitation at lower RPMs when accelerating (particularly on inclines) - for those that have had this issue does this sound like coils? (the car is still pretty new to me and I suspect it has had a bad coil/coils since I got it)

I`ve checked and I aint getting any codes to suggest there is an issue but I know from reading this thread that a bad coil/coils won't necessarily give a code, my seat-of-the-pants code reader strongly suggests there is an issue though

So what are the latest coil part numbers? And what are people replacing the originals with? Genuine Porsche (would imagine they're simply Bosch or Beru in a different frock with a bigger price tag) or Bosch/Beru etc?
I just changed out the coils on my 2008 CTT at 80k miles. Very easy to do. It is not necessary to remove the air pumps on the Turbo. My coils were replaced at 40k miles with a part number ending in 02 and the newest for the turbo ends in 13.

I too suspected the coils were shot and I am glad I changed them out. I changed the plugs at the same time. All of the coils were cracked in at least one place and in the case of the #1 cylinder, that coil was cracked in three places, resulting in a severely carbon-fouled plug.

It is hard to test these as they arc before they completely fail and throw a CEL. I STRONGLY suggest that everyone with coils over 30-40k miles at least inspect them, and replace if necessary.

My CTT runs much smoother and with less unevenness. Best $375 that I have spent on the Cayenne so far. They were $46 each at Sunset in Ore.

Cheers,
TomF
Old 09-20-2015, 01:08 AM
Sniffer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TomF
I just changed out the coils on my 2008 CTT at 80k miles. Very easy to do. It is not necessary to remove the air pumps on the Turbo. My coils were replaced at 40k miles with a part number ending in 02 and the newest for the turbo ends in 13.

I too suspected the coils were shot and I am glad I changed them out. I changed the plugs at the same time. All of the coils were cracked in at least one place and in the case of the #1 cylinder, that coil was cracked in three places, resulting in a severely carbon-fouled plug.

It is hard to test these as they arc before they completely fail and throw a CEL. I STRONGLY suggest that everyone with coils over 30-40k miles at least inspect them, and replace if necessary.

My CTT runs much smoother and with less unevenness. Best $375 that I have spent on the Cayenne so far. They were $46 each at Sunset in Ore.

Cheers,
TomF
Thanks for the info

Although the car is a 2008 the engine was replaced less than 10,000 Kilometres ago under CPO due to cylinder scoring

So, in theory the coils & plugs have less than 10,000 Kilometres on them too, what I can't know however is what version is in there if this was a complete engine (which may have the older more problematic variants of the coil packs as I`m guessing it sat somewhere for a while before being used)

So if they're bad theres generally cracking (but not always)? Has anyone tried testing them electrically with a multimeter (Ohms etc)?
Old 02-15-2016, 04:09 PM
wrinkledpants
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Sniffer

Beru makes the OEM units. Only real way to definitely rule out a coil is to replace it. Functionally, they're difficult, if not impossible to truly test since they can give sporadic performance based on the temperature of the coil itself, plug health, load, and whether you're open or closed loop.

Plugs and coils aren't very expensive - so I'd just replace them all to start with. Any dealer or indy is likely going to charge you a ton of money to troubleshoot it given that there are no codes to lead them in a direction.
Old 03-14-2016, 02:19 AM
Brad Bedell
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Curious, has anyone tried a set of coils from Beck Arnley? I installed a set a couple of days ago (in an attempt to save $160 from the dealer's $400 price). They run great, but found them BA units to throw DTC's on all 8 coils. Thinking maybe I caused an issue, I checked grounds/wiring/etc and finally swapped a couple of cracked coils in and the DTC went away. Needless to say, I'm out a couple of hours time and going to the Dealer in the morning for parts.

*edit* Picking up factory OEM coils fixed my codes. I can only assume Beck Arnley coils were not quite compatible.

Last edited by Brad Bedell; 05-02-2016 at 06:26 PM.
Old 05-02-2016, 05:57 PM
Glaze88
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks for all the info guys.

I just made a post about this, so I will look at coils as the issue 1st and foremost.

Anyone know what the best Ignition Coils are to get for the CTT 06?
Old 05-14-2016, 01:04 PM
John Rose
Advanced

Default rough idle

My rough idle comes just as I come to a stop. Its like the Idle is too low then its rights itself after a few seconds.
Old 05-14-2016, 01:31 PM
Sniffer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by John Rose
My rough idle comes just as I come to a stop. Its like the Idle is too low then its rights itself after a few seconds.
That *may* be a different issue - bad engine mount or similar?
Old 05-14-2016, 01:33 PM
Sniffer
Rennlist Member

I ordered a complete set of coils yesterday from Pelican, gonna plug the car in later to see if there are any codes but my seat of the pants tester definitely detects all the symptoms of defective coils that are mentioned here
Old 05-17-2016, 09:36 AM
morrisdl
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the exact same symptoms on my CTT with 90k, but the only code I get is:

1248 - Basic boost pressure adaption Upper limit value exceeded

Could be unrelated and Ill work on the presumption of a boost leak AND order some plugs and coils.
Old 05-17-2016, 02:10 PM
Sniffer
Rennlist Member

I find some codes are pretty well meaningless (i.e. the car has recorded a code as the result of a parameter going outside its set limits but in the real world its imperceivable)

I have read that coils can be faulty without any codes being present - in that instance its a calculated guess based on the seat of your pants feel (which is what I`m going off) compared to what others describe about the symptoms of the fault.
Old 08-09-2016, 08:09 PM
kens911
Burning Brakes

has anyone used the beru oem replacments? instead of the 50$ a piece OE ones?
Old 08-14-2016, 12:01 AM
morrisdl
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

new coils and plugs fixed my idle stutter and CEL with random code too. Thanks!!

Quick Reply: Lots of Coils Information -Slight Roughness at low speeds ?