Sponsored by:

Weight of Factory Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2006, 04:00 PM
BillConn
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pdxjim
Bill, you have air suspension or steel. If air, should not be ride problem. Steel, you might want to see what you think of the ride first.
Yup, got the air suspension. One of the motivating factors for opting for the PASM was to be able to maintain the ride quality when driving with 22" wheels in the summer. Plus the adjustable ride-height is great.
Old 01-22-2006, 04:28 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Please tell me you're not planning on towing with the Cayenne..........

Why would you be concerned in maintaining the current levels of unsprung weight?
Would you notice a difference in unsprung weight in a 6000# truck? A track/sports car perhaps, but in a truck?
I would be more concerned in the ratings of the specific wheel/tire combination you are considering first and foremost.
I am not a huge fan of some of the aftermarket wheels (cast vs forced vs machined) with respect to reliability/longevity.
Old 01-22-2006, 04:45 PM
BillConn
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ltc
Please tell me you're not planning on towing with the Cayenne..........

Why would you be concerned in maintaining the current levels of unsprung weight?
Would you notice a difference in unsprung weight in a 6000# truck? A track/sports car perhaps, but in a truck?
I would be more concerned in the ratings of the specific wheel/tire combination you are considering first and foremost.
I am not a huge fan of some of the aftermarket wheels (cast vs forced vs machined) with respect to reliability/longevity.
Towing isnt in the Cayennes future as I have a Lincoln Navigator for towing. The unspring weight, while playing a role in handling performance also affects the acceleration and deacceleration of the vehicle. My navigator weighs 6000# and its is much slower both accelerating and deaccelerating when I have the 23" wheels on it. In the winter, with the 18" wheels, the truck is much quicker. Whether the vehicle weights 2500# or 6000#, big heavy wheels required more power to get moving and to stop.
The Mille Miglias are rated at 2100# per wheel so they are spec'd fine. I plan to run either the Nitto 555's or the Michelin Diamaris, both in the 285-35 size. I figure if the Michelins Diamaris are approved in the N0 spec for the 20 wheels, there non N0 spec'd 22" wheel should adequate as well. Does this sound ok?
Old 01-22-2006, 04:49 PM
BillConn
Intermediate

Originally Posted by alex911s
That looks nice Bill, I can wait, I prob will be skiing till May anyways,LOL so winter tires will be on for a bit...but that's definitely on my list...
We have been getting slammed with snow all month. Its perfect! The conditions here at Mt Bachelor are spectacular and with 174" snowpack I think we will be skiing through May here too.
I lived in the Bay Area for 18yrs and would make the trip to Lake Tahoe almost every weekend. I definately miss the 2ft of fresh powder that you would wake up to some mornings because here in OR we just dont get snowfall like that.
Old 01-24-2006, 11:36 PM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Bill, while I admire your enthusiasm and attempts to try to demonstrate some basic knowledge of car performance physics, I must admit I REALLY dont think the weight of your wheels will matter that much. You will feel much more of a difference from the lower sidewall as far as handling and road feel than weight. As far as accelerating and stopping, the cay has no problem with either of these with 22" wheels. At least I dont notice it on THE RACE TRACK so I doubt you will notice it driving around on the street.
and PS, ltc is a rocket scientist and his word is usually gold and a lot to be learned if you are able to pay atttention

tom
Attached Images  
Old 01-25-2006, 12:40 AM
BillConn
Intermediate

Originally Posted by tkerrmd
Bill, while I admire your enthusiasm and attempts to try to demonstrate some basic knowledge of car performance physics, I must admit I REALLY dont think the weight of your wheels will matter that much. You will feel much more of a difference from the lower sidewall as far as handling and road feel than weight. As far as accelerating and stopping, the cay has no problem with either of these with 22" wheels. At least I dont notice it on THE RACE TRACK so I doubt you will notice it driving around on the street.
and PS, ltc is a rocket scientist and his word is usually gold and a lot to be learned if you are able to pay atttention

tom
As ive said from the start I do not claim to be an expert in this subject. I am one term away from my Mechanical Engineering degree so I am primarily only book smart right now. Physics tells me one thing, but personal experiance, like what you and ltc provide is very useful. Its good to hear that braking and acceleration performance will remain relatively unaffected. I guess the brakes on the Navigator where already being stressed by the vehicles weight, that the heavier wheels overly stresses the brakes beyond there performance specs.
As for the large decrease in sidewall, I am hopefull that the comfort setting on the air suspension will help to make up for the lack in sidewall in terms of ridequality. I am not sure how this will affect cornering capability and feel.
Old 01-25-2006, 11:27 AM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Bill, I think you will be happy and the Navigator and the Cay are very different. now that you told me your level of education and experience I would say you may just be overthinking it abit. You are right on all that you say "theoretically" but in trucks this size it takes alot to make a "noticable" difference.

Good Luck!!!

tom
Old 11-25-2016, 07:20 PM
Dilberto
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
Default WTF 65 pound wheels!

Wow, I was gonna buy a set of Sport Techno wheels, "upgrading" from my Turbo-approved Sport Designs....which only weigh 37lbs bare!

I think I can leave good enough alone...
Old 11-27-2016, 02:35 PM
hahnmgh63
Three Wheelin'

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

BBS RXII wheel in 10.5"x21 are about 40lbs each, with 295/35-21 Michelin Latitude Sport tires mounted they are about #71~72 each.
Old 05-07-2022, 03:23 PM
PCcro
8th Gear

To revive this old topic. My Cayenne GT 22'' rear rims + pirelli summer tires 315 width, weight 32 kg. I didn't measure the fronts
Old 05-07-2022, 06:57 PM
Andrew_955
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts

Good timing, just yesterday I weighed a 20x9 Sport Techno with 275/55/20 Falken Wildpeak AT3W and it came in at a whopping 37kg (81lb)!
Falken website says the tyre weighs 22kg (48lb) which puts the wheel somewhere around 15kg (33lb).
Old 05-08-2022, 04:16 AM
PCcro
8th Gear

Originally Posted by PCcro
To revive this old topic. My Cayenne GT 22'' rear rims + pirelli summer tires 315 width, weight 32 kg. I didn't measure the fronts
Fronts should be around 29 kg 285/315x32=29

Quick Reply: Weight of Factory Wheels