Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Winter tires or All Terrain tires?? Which brand/size?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2005, 10:35 PM
GT3 Nut
Rennlist Member

Received 179 Likes on 88 Posts
Question Winter tires or All Terrain tires?? Which brand/size?

Any recommendations based on experience as to what tires to use for the winter? I was going to get a set of 18" wheels and either Pirelli Ice & Snows or maybe the Pirelli Scorpion A/T. We don't normally get a huge amount of snow here, but the temps make my 20" Michelins somewhat scary even on dry roads.
Would the A/T tires be a better choice for occasional off road use and dedicated winter months use or would the Ice & Snows be a better choice? Or any other recommendations would be great.
Old 11-06-2005, 11:16 PM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

which car is this 4?

in any event, i swear by nokians and my colleagues agree with me. i'v been using them over the more established north american brands and i find that they are much better on all fronts. Also cheaper.
Old 11-06-2005, 11:45 PM
356driver
Racer

FWIW I have had good luck with mud and snow rated all terrain tires. The most drastic conditions I have been in are a full strength blizzard at Mammoth Ski Resort in the Sierra Nevada. I had no problems whatsoever while many other SUV's were sliding all over the road. The bonus of all-terrains is they also give you off-road capabilities, whereas pure winter tires may not be the right tire for rough duty. Be sure to get the M&S rating. The tires on my 18" rims are Nitto Terra Grapplers.
Old 11-06-2005, 11:54 PM
Torags
Three Wheelin'

Yoko........... Geolanders.. M&S with large siping - H rated high mileage.

Pure winter tires are less than H rated and will not handle well (but great on snow)

Check out tire rack for ratings.

It's my inderstanding that M&S is a separate catagory from winter (snow) tires.
Old 11-07-2005, 12:05 AM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I am quite happy with Ice & Snows. I also like the way they handle in the wet and dry. I have not used them off roading, but they REALLY work in the white stuff!
Old 11-07-2005, 02:15 AM
alex911s
Man of Many Porsches
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Torags
Yoko........... Geolanders.. M&S with large siping - H rated high mileage.

Pure winter tires are less than H rated and will not handle well (but great on snow)

Check out tire rack for ratings.

It's my inderstanding that M&S is a separate catagory from winter (snow) tires.

second that, geolandar HT-S G052, no problem with snow at all and handles very well. I may go to the V rated pirelli Ice and snow this year just to try ..
Old 11-07-2005, 10:59 AM
Brent 89-GT
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the Pirelli Scorpian AT's for winter/off-road. I bought them in the 235/60-18 size for the best bite in deep snow. My temps do not get too cold but we get a ton of snow. I was very pleased with how they performed last winter. I also used them this summer for the Porsche club event where we went off-roading. I was much more comfortable than the TT behind me on street tires You might consider the 255/55-18 size to put a little larger footprint down, though my truck still handles great on the skinny size.
Old 11-13-2005, 03:55 AM
BobbyB
Addict
Rennlist Member

So far so good, Pirelli Ice & Snows - good luck
Old 11-13-2005, 12:17 PM
Cay-ute
Addict
Rennlist Member

I have used the Pirelli Scorpion A/Ts in snow for the last three years. They offer very good snow and ice grip and they last for a long time. I just put a new set on for this winter (the old ones had reasonable tread at 25 k miles). These tires are also outstanding off road tires. I thought about dedicated snow tires but after using the ATs I no longer believe they are necessary.

Quick Reply: Winter tires or All Terrain tires?? Which brand/size?