Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 (https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-955-957-2003-2010-77/)
-   -   Cayenne hesitation....learn to live with it (https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-955-957-2003-2010/221174-cayenne-hesitation-learn-to-live-with-it.html)

Villian 11-24-2014 05:29 PM

Just a friendly bump! Wondering if after 10 full years Porsche had finally fixed this problem and given us all what we paid for! Or, if we were all left out to dry as only an automobile manafacture could legally do! :banghead:

mudman2 11-24-2014 05:54 PM

This problem was fixed in the 957, all 955's had it to a lesser or greater extent.

There are many descriptions and discussions here and elsewhere on the subject including court records

The problem was the need for economy recognizing that most people poodle their cars by holding the transmission program in too low a gear, it feels like an engine pick up problem but its not.

The E-Gas is another problem where the system learns the drivers habits and adapts to those habits. The result is another form of retardation

Resetting using PIWIS will make the car much faster for a while then it re learns your habits and gets sluggish again

You can also drive like a mad person for 30 minutes which will give the same effect.

The problem was solved on 957 by adding a Sport Mode which overrides the adaptive e-gas system

The transmissions in 03/04 were all major issues, the 05 transmission system and control units were better, my 04 had all that retrofitted under warranty to attempt to fix it

Another good test to see the state of your transmission, turn PSM off and see if the car now starts off in first

If you have any doubts ltc can verify with me the legal ramifications

I don't know if anyone was killed when joining a freeway trying to kick down in front of a SEMI, I know I nearly was

In the end you get to know the car and use the tip when you sense the problem

No fix was provided by Porsche

MadFox 11-25-2014 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by mudman2 (Post 11827677)
This problem was fixed in the 957, all 955's had it to a lesser or greater extent.

There are many descriptions and discussions here and elsewhere on the subject including court records

I don't know if anyone was killed when joining a freeway trying to kick down in front of a SEMI, I know I nearly was

In the end you get to know the car and use the tip when you sense the problem

No fix was provided by Porsche

Mudman! I have truly missed this forum. The past few years have been a blur with a new biz consuming me 24/7.

To new forum users. The answer to hesitation is that all of us who owned alpha/betas NEARLY DIED learning how the adaptive driving and e-Gas responded in our Pigs! Thus many of us drive manually even with automatics in their Cayennes when around town. No clutch but it's habit now even in my '06 Tit.S.

mudman2 11-25-2014 12:01 PM

Hi Alan hope you are well

wrinkledpants 11-25-2014 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by Villian (Post 11827613)
Just a friendly bump! Wondering if after 10 full years Porsche had finally fixed this problem and given us all what we paid for! Or, if we were all left out to dry as only an automobile manafacture could legally do! :banghead:

I gave you all sorts of info on what issues it could be. You appear to not have taken any steps to actually troubleshoot the problem. So, I'm not sure what you are expecting.

Why are you so against taking it to a Porsche dealer? It's like 80 bucks for a diagnosis.

Villian 11-26-2014 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by wrinkledpants (Post 11829669)
I gave you all sorts of info on what issues it could be. You appear to not have taken any steps to actually troubleshoot the problem. So, I'm not sure what you are expecting.

Why are you so against taking it to a Porsche dealer? It's like 80 bucks for a diagnosis.

Find me a Porsche dealer in Montana, and I'll find you a unicorn. Plus, most "Diagnosis" that are done in a single day are not thorough enough to determine the actual root cause of anything complex. Failed alternators, half shafts, and easy junk..sure. But troubleshooting an E-Gas signal to the ECU and how that's being interpreted by the ECU is a totally different story. Hence the reason that nearly every throttle delay post mentioning "Took it to a dealer to have diagnosed.." ends with "They said there's no problem...".

I'm not going to waste my money being lied to. Porsche themselves have yet to mention that this ever was an issue, on any model, and it's been 10+ years. Why would they admit to it now? That could cause a recall seeing as how it's a safety issue..and seeing as how the Cayenne is one of the most produced cars in their history, I doubt they want to recall it.

JonEffinDan 11-26-2014 01:17 PM

Villain... Don't waste your breath... Wrinkledpanties is one of those guys who says "without proof you are wrong" even though he has no proof for his argument... I am starting to get on 6speed and they seem more like the crowd that doesn't debate the stoopid things and instead tries to think of creative ways to solve problems. This forum is more for people who need help resetting the trip odometer! Haha

mudman2 11-26-2014 07:21 PM

The interpretation of the e-gas digital signals are of interest, in so far as the DME unit and its programming are compatible (DME = ECU)

The PST unit used by dealers to diagnose issues and flash the various control units was replace with the much more sophisticated PIWIS which does take about an hour to run but can bring units up to correct flash version where needed. Important because its staggering the number of new car owners who did not take the time to get this done while under warranty

Many units were improved during the years where this problem really was extensively analyzed, not just by them but by us EE's who had a background. indeed we were the way dealers got information in the early days.

Even if you can theoretically fault find in the end its just speculative since in order to confirrn you need a status check on the control units by a dealer or rich indy.

Bottom line, unless you want to invest in a PWIS (last i heard 12K$ a year subscription), and yes some people did buy one then without dealer inout you cannot adjust anything but you can buy a placebo

Oh and one thing I forgot, count yourself lucky that you have a TT and not the S, on the S it is ten times as bad

PCA1983 11-28-2014 11:16 AM

Tuners' almost always try to program for net throttle response, so it wouldn't surprise if a tune job would fix that in a 955.

My 957 has great throttle response from a stop. My complaint is the gearing. 1st gear is for stump pulling but if I hit it more than about 3/4 throttle from a stop, it wants to downshift to 1st. So even with a 957 there is a delay if stepping too hard and it causes downshifting. I have learned to step on it from a stop about as hard as I can and stay in 2nd gear. It is surprisingly quick and always leaves the rest of the cars well behind me. But I do wish Porsche had selected different gear ratios to make 1st gear more useable, but we all know they built it as a super tow vehicle and for some off-roading.

Lionworks Auto 03-14-2015 12:28 AM

Originally Posted by 09RedGTS (Post 11836190)
Tuners' almost always try to program for net throttle response, so it wouldn't surprise if a tune job would fix that in a 955.

My 957 has great throttle response from a stop. My complaint is the gearing. 1st gear is for stump pulling but if I hit it more than about 3/4 throttle from a stop, it wants to downshift to 1st. So even with a 957 there is a delay if stepping too hard and it causes downshifting. I have learned to step on it from a stop about as hard as I can and stay in 2nd gear. It is surprisingly quick and always leaves the rest of the cars well behind me. But I do wish Porsche had selected different gear ratios to make 1st gear more useable, but we all know they built it as a super tow vehicle and for some off-roading.

My '04 CTT 955 definitely had an accelerator lag and would power spike all at once with the turbo. I researched and came across Vivid Racing and their ECU flash - it was DIY - you buy the cable and they email you the mod file after you upload your record of the ecu program. It's all done thru the odb reader and takes a PC laptop. Goes quickly - no techs or special skills needed.

Now that she's flashed, throttle response is way faster and the turbo is much more controlled and smooth as accelerate. Like an entirely different truck. Recommended...they call it "VRTuned".

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...bc27e1c47e.jpg

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...4b3ce9ee1f.jpg

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...35fd6f037d.jpg

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...57707522c3.jpg

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...78eca8a098.jpg

hahnmgh63 03-14-2015 11:55 AM

Like Lionworks Auto I also have a tune ('06 CTTS) but from Eurocharged. The Eurocharged tune probably only bumps up the power (on a CTTS) a little as there probably isn't as much left on the table as Porsche already bumped up the Boost but the tune did improve the throttle response too. Probably half way between stock and like it is when you turn the PSM off. I wish it was better but it is improved. I've always been skeptical of the Sprint Booster but there have been good reviews here. Maybe the linear response increase of the Sprint Booster is where Porsche really failed? I would like to try one before I paid the money though as I guess I'm skeptical in that I know it doesn't add power, just changes the linear range of the E-throttle response curve. More feedback on here from those that have it might convince me though.
One question that some here may know, do the Touareg's have the same problem? They virtually use the same E-throttle system, same design, same manufacturer, but of course different software. Could Porsche have really screwed it up that bad or have their Contract for the E-throttle software off from VAG's by that much??? Seems like it.

Waterman19 09-29-2018 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by Truble10 (Post 2373677)
Try the Fabspeed cat bypass pipes. For $500 you can elimitate your hesitation issues. Best aftermarket money I've ever spent. Low cost, no warranty issues and great sound.

Hello, so I just bought an 09’ Cayenne GTS 50k miles. Feels a bumping hesitation under light to moderate throttle. Under full acceleration it’s much less notiable if not gone all together. I changed all the spark plugs and coils. New air filter, and cleaned MAF sensors. Still same hesitation, like a bump bump bump. Feels like it can’t breathe good enough or maybe not getting enough fuel so I was thinking next I would change the fuel filter. Then I saw your post about the secondary cat bypass pipes. I was actually just going to order these for better sound but it sounds like it fixed your problem. Was your hesitation like what I’m describing?

arthropraxis 09-29-2018 04:18 PM

Has anyone tried this? https://www.vividracing.com/tuned-st...150841692.html

Waterman19 09-29-2018 04:40 PM

My problem is not the throttle response. My problem is hesitation under acceleration. Like a sputtering but it so slight it just enough to be annoying and not throw a code.

WhipE350 09-29-2018 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by Waterman19 (Post 15326196)

Hello, so I just bought an 09’ Cayenne GTS 50k miles. Feels a bumping hesitation under light to moderate throttle. Under full acceleration it’s much less notiable if not gone all together. I changed all the spark plugs and coils. New air filter, and cleaned MAF sensors. Still same hesitation, like a bump bump bump. Feels like it can’t breathe good enough or maybe not getting enough fuel so I was thinking next I would change the fuel filter. Then I saw your post about the secondary cat bypass pipes. I was actually just going to order these for better sound but it sounds like it fixed your problem. Was your hesitation like what I’m describing?

I bought a 09, GTS in Jan with 105k miles. I was thinking of doing the secondary cat bypass. I do see hesitation at times. I need to pay more attention to it so I can describe it fully. I noticed it just the other day and thought this is odd. I'll report back.