Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 (https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-955-957-2003-2010-77/)
-   -   Cayenne hesitation....learn to live with it (https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-955-957-2003-2010/221174-cayenne-hesitation-learn-to-live-with-it.html)

ltc 08-17-2005 04:13 PM

rome,
There was a recent Panorama article (996TT Tip vs 6spd) by Walter Rohrl that had a very good description of the modern Tiptronic gearbox.

IIRC, there were something like 200 software 'patterns' algorithmically available to control the transmission in response to various inputs: temperature, rpm, ABS, eGas/throttle position, DRIVING habits (yes, really), etc.
Basically the Tiptronic will adapt its shift points in reponse to what it believes wil be current driving conditions based on past inputs.
The DME works in a similar fashion, although much more strictly controlled due to the nature of controlling an engine/ emissions, etc

Since PSM is tied into the DME and Tiptronic (via CAN bus), there will be different algorithms initially applied based on the car's 'understanding' that by disabling PSM, there will be 'spirited driving'; so the transmission may start out in D1 rather than D2, the eGas curves will be altered, etc....the end result being less perceived throttle hesitation lag (throw in turbo lag and spool ups just to further complicate engine management matters if you want to).
Now, if you drive long enough with PSM off, the Tiptronic control unit will begin to 'adapt' to this as your 'normal' driving........however, if you drive very conservatively, PSM on, trying to maximize fuel economy, you will end up with a different vehicle response.

Simple, huh?

ltc 08-17-2005 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by mudman2
You don't need to be, its really something that is easy to live with, is it perfect ?, no, but what is ?, the "!"

Had to use the "!" didn't you.
Superman had Kryptonite, I get stuck with "!". Fine.

They did not have the ( ! )

That's it, keep poking the tiger with a pointed stick.....then when someone forgets to latch the door to the cage, DON'T blame the tiger.

Sorry rome a couple of in jokes may float over you for now.

True, but once he takes delivery, it will all of a sudden make sense.

P.S. NO, I'm NOT sharing my Purplesaurus Rex with the new guys......

mudman2 08-17-2005 04:20 PM

You crack me up !

:-)

rome 08-17-2005 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by ltc
rome,
There was a recent Panorama article (996TT Tip vs 6spd) by Walter Rohrl that had a very good description of the modern Tiptronic gearbox.

IIRC, there were something like 200 software 'patterns' algorithmically available to control the transmission in response to various inputs: temperature, rpm, ABS, eGas/throttle position, DRIVING habits (yes, really), etc.
Basically the Tiptronic will adapt its shift points in reponse to what it believes wil be current driving conditions based on past inputs.
The DME works in a similar fashion, although much more strictly controlled due to the nature of controlling an engine/ emissions, etc

Since PSM is tied into the DME and Tiptronic (via CAN bus), there will be different algorithms initially applied based on the car's 'understanding' that by disabling PSM, there will be 'spirited driving'; so the transmission may start out in D1 rather than D2, the eGas curves will be altered, etc....the end result being less perceived throttle hesitation lag (throw in turbo lag and spool ups just to further complicate engine management matters if you want to).
Now, if you drive long enough with PSM off, the Tiptronic control unit will begin to 'adapt' to this as your 'normal' driving........however, if you drive very conservatively, PSM on, trying to maximize fuel economy, you will end up with a different vehicle response.

Simple, huh?

Whoa! Seems lilke a no-brainer to keep PSM off if it activates anyway when needed, and keeping it on lags performance and throttle response.

Is there any good reason to keep it "on" otherwise?

mudman2 08-17-2005 04:37 PM

Well there is a reason, if your commuting, you will most certainly spill your coffee, the so called "lurch".

OK if its only you (you can drive home and change) but if your significant other is the passenger thats another issue.

Then the PSM on can give pretty smooth responses.

RJay 08-17-2005 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by ltc
rome,

Simple, huh?

Hmmm... so what the heck happens when you add a trailer into the mix? I'm think of getting one as a tow vehicle, does this exacerbate the problem?

mudman2 08-17-2005 05:32 PM

No you basically drive in manual mode with the trailer and keep it out of 6 for the most part.

thecleaner 08-17-2005 05:58 PM

"Hmmm... so what the heck happens when you add a trailer into the mix? I'm think of getting one as a tow vehicle, does this exacerbate the problem?"

Nothing to the response but you will see !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, Just ask Lewis.
Pass the kool-aid

mudman2 08-17-2005 06:09 PM

Come on Lance ! thats baiting the monster !!!

thecleaner 08-17-2005 06:15 PM

I can hear the growls down here!

skl 08-17-2005 06:23 PM

Yes, if towing you should be in manual mode. I rarely hit 6th when towing. Maybe on level ground or downhill. Lewis and I both wonder if anyone towing with an enclosed car trailer can get it to work the lights without the famous ! and the "check trailer lights" message????? I could only get it to work properly with a small single axle enclosed go-kart trailer...

RJay 08-17-2005 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by thecleaner
"Hmmm... so what the heck happens when you add a trailer into the mix? I'm think of getting one as a tow vehicle, does this exacerbate the problem?"

Nothing to the response but you will see !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, Just ask Lewis.
Pass the kool-aid

I'm afraid to ask...

MadFox 08-17-2005 06:45 PM

You crack me up ! :-)

Ditto, Mudman2.. LTC is on a roll. He must have spiked the Kool-Aid per his post on "spiced coolant" .... the last few posts are some of his best humor filled good info yet.. Darn it.. I'm not at home where I can get to the Cayenne humor liquid stuff and "be LTC happy", too!! (whoops !! unintentionally... wait, maybe Lewis can handle the !!! whilest sipping PurplesaurusRex? .. funny stuff... !!!!!!!! (okay, just want to see if the happy juice will keep biting sarcasm from emerging!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:icon501: :biggulp:

rockitman 08-17-2005 07:13 PM

hmmm, hesitation ? Don't have that. Ocassional vibration with 20's yes. Choice between the two Cayenne driving characteristics(LOL)..I will take the "good" vibrations.... ;)

mudman2 08-17-2005 08:10 PM

Hey Chris long time no hear !