Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drove the new BMW M5 today....my questions are answered.

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2005, 05:44 PM
phantomias33
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drove the new BMW M5 today....my questions are answered.

Great car. My first impression was that it seemed smaller than I thought it would be. Once I poked around inside though, I must say that the trunk is very large, the back seats seemed rather roomy and it had a larger feel inside.

I had read up a bit on it before I drove it, so I knew to get in and immediately hit the 'M' button. I've had enough experience with the SMG to know that I hate it. It seems to me that if there is actually a clutch on board, then give me a pedal to work it.

So leaving it in M mode (and thereby forced to use the flappy paddles or gearbox for shifting), I put in launch mode and took off. That was fun, great thrill and yes the inital thrust was enough to make me forget to shift and I redlined both 1st and 2nd gear rather violently. After that, I was more aware and had more aniticipation.

The cliff note version (as I can see this is rambling a bit) is as follows-

I loved: the HUD projected in the windshield, the engine sound, the power.

I hated: the sides of the seat that support your lats(or love-handles...whichever applies)- they shifted forward in a turn to supposedly hold you in place better. I continue to hate iDrive. The right steering wheel shifter is placed so close to the windshield washer that if you reach for it quickly, you'll find (as I did) that you squirt your windshield fluid instead of shifting. The car felt long to me. Finally, I don't understand BMW's seeming fascination with complexity. They make wonderful engines, but their electronics spoil it by masking complexity with a few *****.

So why is this posted here? Some of you may know that I've been considering selling my '05 CT before it takes a hit when the new CT is announced/shown, buying an M5 and then ultimately selling that after a year or so to get the new one. My verdict? No way. I'm keeping the CT.

Even a 507 bhp naturally-aspirated V10 doesn't blow you away when your daily driver is a 450 bhp Turbo-charged Porsche V8. If I want 'spirited driving', I simply disengage PSM or go Tiptronic. And the new CT? I don't like the looks so far ( and I know that spy photos are intentionally misleading).

Bottom line, the Cayenne is just too fun, too powerful, to enjoyable to part with. I think I'll buy the extended warranty, put some displays in the headrests for my kids and keep it for 4-5 more years....at least.
Old 08-06-2005, 07:57 PM
Brent 89-GT
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMO MB and BMW have lost touch completely. I went through half a dozen glorious BMW's the last a 750il from '98. I can't even stand to look at anything in their line-up anymore, Bangled Now MB appears to be on the verge of an i-drive like abomonation for its new S-class. Their electro-hydraulic brakes stink as well.

Of course I am one of those wierdo's so techno averse I puposely ordered my Cayenne sans NAV system. I would have even moved up to t CTT had it not been for the mandatory tv screen in the dash. What all that junk has to do with driving I will never understand. Banish the cupholders, drop the wieght and electro geegaws, give us back our cars
Old 08-06-2005, 09:25 PM
gjb
Addict
Rennlist Member

Cayennes,

The most / best bang for the buck - 6/S/T they all rock and compared to the coming sedan, a frickin bargin! (for those who need 4 real seats or more...)

Thank you Dr. .............

G-

ja, an ex-bmw owner truth be know......
Old 08-07-2005, 02:37 AM
schvetkaaks
Pro

Great info - thanks! Frankly I'm quite amazed that after trying the new monster M5 you say 'no way' to selling the CT to get it - quite amazed indeed. That speaks volumes for the CT, and further solidifies my commitment to getting one if I have to go SUV for the depreciation - will find out in November if I go car or SUV
Old 08-07-2005, 04:30 AM
devon7
Advanced

Personally I love the styling of the new M5 and have been avidly looking forward to it's arrival - but overall I have to agree that as a daily drive I wouldn't choose it over my CT.

The power from the v10 is fantastic and I can live with the paddle shift at speed - but around town and in normal driving conditions it just doesn't do a good enough job in my opinion.

I thought the side bolsters inflating and deflating were brilliant for all of 5 minutes, after that I was just looking for the off button (which I couldn't find!). In agreement with you about the HUD. That's a great piece of kit - very slick.

The sense of occasion in the CT is much more satisfying and it's a much more flexible car in so many ways. Still the best IMHO.
Old 08-07-2005, 07:31 AM
urban_alchemist
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Good to see I'm not the only one that feels totally cold about the present BMW/MB range. I've owned five BMWs since I got my license 9 years ago (three of them M cars), and lusted over each and every M car in a way that should only have been allowed for far more unusual exotica. I loved the way they looked, they sounded, and they drove, as well as the fact that (most) could pootle along in town as happily as demolish a track, unlike a Porsche (CTT aside), four-adults up. With Luggage.

Whilst I loved the last M5, the new one does nothing for me. I drove a 530i rental car in Switzerland after it was launched, and I have NEVER hated a car so much in my life. The iDrive was unfathomable, meaning I couldn't adjust the radio, work the nav, or turn on the lights when they unwittingly switched themselves off at midnight on a highway. The ride was awful (I know that's down to the runflats, but it went against everything I loved about BMW), and the electro-indicators and speed-sensitive steering were the last straw. Almost everything seemed to have changed, and none for the better.

I don't care that it has 500bhp, or a 7-speed SMG, I just can't imagine the M5, based on that hideous 530, having any soul. And as for the new M3... I want an M3 to be light, nimble, ultra-high-revving pocket-rocket... not a barge with a big, heavy V8 behind the front wheels. (Presently an '02 M3 Coupe owner for the record).

M5? No thanks. I'll keep my CTT thanks very much...

Last edited by urban_alchemist; 08-07-2005 at 03:32 PM.
Old 08-07-2005, 10:46 AM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 955 Likes on 582 Posts

Since Chrsyler and MB merged, I think the MBs have gotten worse, and the Chrsylers a little better if that makes sense. Had a 4Matic wagon 10 years ago when the kids were small as I'd never drive or buy a minivan. Was good for hauling kids but heavy and slow. Had many BMW's over the years, the latest a E46 M3 SMG- got tired of the SMG very quickly. Don't like the looks of any of the Banglized cars- much prefer the Audis and I need quattro for our winters anyway. Not impressed with the new 3 series either. Though my "kids" don't agree, I don't need crap like I-drive. What's wrong with a simple switch to change stations or adjust volume?????????
Old 08-07-2005, 04:15 PM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

phantom- thanks for the insight! I have a friend with and older M5 and he loves it. I like my turbo truck in that is does a good job in the snow, will tow boats easliy and seat 4 quite comfortably. And when you need to pass someone it does a GOOD job of passing. Still not happy though with the throttle delay. Need to take it in for its 20K service pretty soon and will ask about any updates on the software.
Old 08-07-2005, 04:56 PM
phantomias33
Rennlist Member

I probably ought to emphasize that the engine was superp. However with so many other "distractions", the car really comes off (IMHO) as disappointing. I went into the test drive thinking "Wow, the brand new B-M-W M5....wow!" I left thinking, "Man, it's just a 5 series with a bigger engine and a whole lot of gadgets demanding attention and fiddling."

Anyway, car's seem so much an extension of people and I'm sure it will be the embodiment of a dream for many BMW fans, but for someone like myself who isn't necessarily smitten, it was just a nice car.

My wife did point out though that if you love the thrill of power and torque as we do, you get to a point you're harder to impress. The more exclusive cars you buy, the less exclusive they become. If I had only owned Accords and Camry's, the M5 would've been a religious experience. But going from one powerful engine to another, leaves the intangibles to take a more relevant role. And again, despite it's excessive weight (my opinion) and taking the form of an SUV, the Cayenne simply does too much too well. I wouldn't trade it for an M5, even if they threw in season tickets to the Philadelphia Eagles.
Old 08-07-2005, 06:55 PM
skl
Rennlist Member

If they threw in season tickets to the Packers... I'd give it serious thought!

Last edited by skl; 08-07-2005 at 11:42 PM.
Old 08-07-2005, 07:03 PM
schvetkaaks
Pro

I'm with you, skl. Put my daughter on the season ticket list when she was born - she is number 67,000 and change. Also put my company on the list for club level seats - 2900 on that one...
Old 08-07-2005, 11:44 PM
skl
Rennlist Member

schevetkaaks- my son made a special trip to Chicago last winter to watch Favre in person- was afraid he'd retire and he wanted to say he at least saw him once in PERSON. Only played a quarter and a half as they were already in the playoffs, but did see a touchdown pass! Now we have another chance....
Old 08-08-2005, 12:17 AM
schvetkaaks
Pro

skl - I know what you mean. I've had the pleasure of seeing him live several times, and last time on the 2nd row of Lambeau field. He definitely will be around one or two more years, that's it. Sure hope this rookie qb has some gifts - he's got to learn from the best in the game perhaps only one year...
Old 09-04-2005, 05:22 AM
MeanMachine
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The E55 amg is faster if im correct it has more torque

Quick Reply: Drove the new BMW M5 today....my questions are answered.