Sponsored by:

HELP!!! Speaker AMP not turning on all the time

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2005, 07:24 PM
jase700
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default HELP!!! Speaker AMP not turning on all the time

OK, so I got the Sony Ericsson HCB-30 and the Terk XM commander installed to my CDR-23 bose stereo in my 2003 CS. They tapped an ignition wire to get power to the new components. Sometimes everything cuts on just fine, and sometimes it doesn't. I can't seem to see any correlation. when my radio cuts on I see some icons I haven't seen before "TP" , There is also a Sigma, and a little down arrow.

Also, now it appears that the orange ring around the stereo light doesn't turn off when I shut the power down. The electronics seem to be working perfectly, all of the components turn on including the head unit. It plays CD's, tunes stations and responds to the bluetooth module, there is just NO sound.

I"m taking it back for the second time now. First time I brought it back they switched the power source for the new gadgets.

Thoughts??? HELP!!! It sux driving 35 minutes home from work with no radio...

jason
Old 03-23-2005, 07:43 PM
Moogle
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the symphtoms you describe are all part of the normal operation of the CDR-23

if there is no sound, there may be a connection problem, or it could just be the gremlins of the CDR-23

there is also talk of the bose amps being full of gremlins.
Old 03-23-2005, 07:51 PM
jase700
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I mean i didn't experience this once before the new stuff was added. Any reason why what they did, either the phone hookup or the satellite antenna direct FM in could be doing this?
Old 03-23-2005, 09:43 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Moogle
there is also talk of the bose amps being full of gremlins.
OK, who's talking?!

The Bose amp is full of a lot of things.....but gremlins aren't amongst them.
Old 03-23-2005, 09:46 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

jase700,
Exactly what are those components and how did they connect them to a CDR-23, which is a MOST (plastic fiber optic) headunit? Some additional info might help.

The orange light around the CDR-23 volume control will stay on (for a few minutes) after you shut off the radio/car.....this is because the MOST ring doesn't shut down right away.....long technical reasons...don't ask.

I would have normally suggested bringing it into a dealer for a diagnostic, but I don't think they would be thrilled wtih the non warranty (aftermarket) stuff added.
Old 03-23-2005, 09:49 PM
Moogle
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the sigma and letters appearing for a few seconds happens on all cars.

the ring should light up for awhie after you turn off the car

as for no sound coming through, this could be anything. mabye the install is bad, or mabye the very common problems with the CDR-23/MOST BUS/BOSE AMP are manifesting themselves.

the most common problem is no sound, usually attriuted to a bad head unit or amp.
many people have had ther head units, amps, or both replaced, multiple times to no avail. like i said.

the CDR-23 and BOSE system are FULL of gremlins. so many in fact, that so many had their head units/amps replaced, that porsche now no longer lets dealers replace them under warranty, they added a whole new layer of bureaucracy to the process of getting said items replaced.
Old 03-24-2005, 12:47 AM
gaurang
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stereo Problems

I have had the same exact problem but i have the PCM. They aveh replaced the pcm 2 times and tested the amp. I still get the problem and its a real pain in the ****!
Old 03-24-2005, 10:56 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Moogle
the CDR-23 and BOSE system are FULL of gremlins. so many in fact, that so many had their head units/amps replaced, that porsche now no longer lets dealers replace them under warranty, they added a whole new layer of bureaucracy to the process of getting said items replaced.
Tom,
I must beg to differ.

The CDR-23 (and PCM2...both of which are Becker designed units...along with the CDChange as well) and the audio amplifier (Bose design and manufacture) are fairly well understood with respect to 'bug tracking', both in the H/W and S/W.

Initial no audio conditions were confirmed in lab bench setups and embedded code analysis highlighted several (interesting) timing/initialization scenarios. S/W updates (all S/W is updated via the headunit.....that's another story) corrected these.

As for persistent no audio conditions and your comment as to Porsche's new position on component replacement (with subsequent analysis yielding 'no problem found'), consider for a moment if the root cause were not the electronic components themselves, but rather the quality of the plastic fiber optic cable and/or its terminations.......neither of which are easy to fix post production.
Old 01-03-2015, 03:16 AM
AlanAuerbach
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

S/W updates (all S/W is updated via the headunit.....that's another story) corrected these.
Please forgive any breaches of etiquette; this is my first post here (as I'm a new owner of a 2003 C4S with a CDR-23 and Bose sound system).

I've already experienced the intermittent issue with the radio not initializing after starting the car. I seem to have found a workaround: turn the key to "on" for a few seconds before starting; it "seems" the handshake problem is associated with the voltage drop of starting the car.

My question for now is: how do I find out if the software is up to date; and if not, what's the process for updating it?
Old 01-03-2015, 06:14 PM
Lionworks Auto
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Search this thread - there is a way to push two buttons and get it to tell you the software version...

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/c...r-cayenne.html

Quick Reply: HELP!!! Speaker AMP not turning on all the time