Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cayenne Prodigy Brake Controller Install with Pictures

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2011, 09:20 AM
Viperbob1
Nordschleife Master

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Customer has a new '11 Hybrid that will be towing a trailer. Going to install the Prodigy RF model so no wiring in the vehicle at all. We'll see...
Old 08-27-2011, 04:40 PM
Viperbob1
Nordschleife Master

OK just as an update... I installed a Prodigy new wireless RF controller. Freaking awesome. 100% is mounted to the trailer. No wiring, mounting crap in cockpit, etc. I guess between the brake lights going on and the intertial slowing the things applies the trailer brakes. The small remote unit in the car only does the initial brake force settings, and then is just your govt required manual override (size of remote that plugs into cigarette lighter). If you disconnect it the thing still works great. So this makes trailer independent of tow vehicle... Love it.
Old 08-27-2011, 06:58 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

$350 seems a bit high for a brake controller IMHO ...
http://www.etrailer.com/Brake-Contro...sha/90250.html
Old 08-28-2011, 11:19 AM
Viperbob1
Nordschleife Master

A good controller is going to cost about $100. Then when you take into account essentially no installation (4 screws on the trailer) costs, no controller mounted anywhere in the cockpit getting in the way or potentially damaging interior from the mounting brackets, and if you ever have more than one tow vehicle moving the trailer the cost seems pretty reasonable.
Old 08-29-2011, 05:31 PM
Astroman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just installed a Tekonsha Primus in my '08 CS with tow hitch option. As instructed by etrailer.com, I ordered (qty. 1) #1J0-972-782 housing and (qty. 2) #000-979-228 wire/terminal from my local VW dealership. With these items, the install was very very easy.
Old 08-30-2011, 10:08 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Viperbob1
A good controller is going to cost about $100. Then when you take into account essentially no installation (4 screws on the trailer) costs, no controller mounted anywhere in the cockpit getting in the way or potentially damaging interior from the mounting brackets, and if you ever have more than one tow vehicle moving the trailer the cost seems pretty reasonable.
Seems like a lot of money to work around a defect in the P!g design.
A good analog brake controller is well less than $100 and doesn't damage the interior with mounting IMHO.
And even with the wireless controller, you still need to mount a control within arm's reach (when the tail starts to wag the dog).

Nice product, but I just dont'see it...
Old 08-30-2011, 07:51 PM
Viperbob1
Nordschleife Master

Nothing to mount. small little controller about the size of a car remote with a cigarette lighter plug for power. Thats it. No mounting cages, brackets, etc to be screwed or velcro'd in the vehicle. In my customers case, he has 2 vehicles he tows with, and I use my own truck sometimes. Saves having anything mounted, wired, etc in any vehicle.
Old 03-15-2012, 05:52 PM
sup44
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JFScheck
Some of the worst pictures I have ever taken - but I was in a hurry and promised a few of you some pictures showing my install on a 2010 "T-Rex & "Egg"

Now a picture of my harness completed and ready for install - note the switch for powering both the Prodigy & Relay with the 5 amp fuse inline (its the 12 volts goofy) and the Volkswagen\Audi\Porsche connector ready to plug into that OEM Brake Controller Harness that we just found. Oh - and YES I know I like the purple tie strips (didn't really need them as the cold fusion tape works great - but those strips are in strategic locations to reduce stress as well as keep the wrap on - just in case)...
Thanks for sharing the info and Pics..

Hi .. I actually just did the opposite.. I turned my 04 v8 Touareg in for a Pepper S (which I am reading everyone referrers to as a PIG..lol)...

I want to install my break conroller (Prodigy)... Did you have to make this adapter cable? If so, do you have more details/pics on how you did it?

Thanks,
Mark
Old 03-15-2012, 06:04 PM
sup44
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Viperbob1
Nothing to mount. small little controller about the size of a car remote with a cigarette lighter plug for power. Thats it. No mounting cages, brackets, etc to be screwed or velcro'd in the vehicle. In my customers case, he has 2 vehicles he tows with, and I use my own truck sometimes. Saves having anything mounted, wired, etc in any vehicle.
This defiantly sounds the way to go for me... didn't spend the $ on this P!G to be excessively thrifty on it's mods... I always look for the best deal, but I just called the dealer and he quoted me $350 for the install.. I can defiantly do it myself, but for $300 minus the $$ ill get for my current controller.. no brainer..

I think Im going to sell my current Podigy and get this RF... how is it holding up? Any issues?
Old 03-19-2012, 06:36 AM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check the wiring diagram - easy to make, I threw a switch in there so the relay wouldn't be active when not towing.

For the person with the 2011 Cayenne - follow the directions for use with a relay, not vampire tap directly off of brake switch like on early 1st generation models...
Old 05-16-2012, 12:03 AM
KineticFlow
1st Gear

Default 2012 Cayenne Trailer Brake Controller Wire

The dealer and I spent many hours looking for that hard to find wire. Calls to Atlanta did not provide anything helpful other than "its there, keep looking".

I actually ended up finding it based on where it is on a Touareg, basically behind the fuse panel. If you are on your back looking up, there is a black connector with orange wires coming of out it. If you put your hand in there on top of that connector and go toward the outside of the car the wire is right there.

Based on other photos and descriptions (and where it was in previous years) we all were looking closer to the brake pedal.

Hope this helps save some other people time.
Attached Images  
Old 11-29-2012, 01:59 PM
jo-hans
Burning Brakes

I installed an OEM hitchkit on my Touareg and bought a dual axle trailer. With the electric brakes I need to install a brake controller. On the Touareg we have that same hidden plug under the dash. Just want to say thanks for the info with pictures here!

For anyone interested:

http://www.etrailer.com/question-39088.html

http://www.etrailer.com/faq-tb-09-0021-Tekonsha.aspx

Last edited by jo-hans; 11-29-2012 at 02:18 PM.
Old 12-08-2012, 05:37 PM
paver
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Does anybody sell a ready-made harness to connect the brake controller to the hidden plug?
Old 12-09-2012, 10:56 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 802 Likes on 491 Posts

No - you need to make your own.
Old 12-10-2012, 07:22 PM
ddunwood
7th Gear

Originally Posted by sup44
This defiantly sounds the way to go for me... didn't spend the $ on this P!G to be excessively thrifty on it's mods... I always look for the best deal, but I just called the dealer and he quoted me $350 for the install.. I can defiantly do it myself, but for $300 minus the $$ ill get for my current controller.. no brainer..

I think Im going to sell my current Podigy and get this RF... how is it holding up? Any issues?
I've been using the RF Prodigy almost every weekend for 2 months on my '08 Turbo, and it works great!

Quick Reply: Cayenne Prodigy Brake Controller Install with Pictures