Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 07:40 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by JFScheck
YES - So many folks forget how important "Wheelbase" is to a Tow Vehicle - even though one can tow 7,700 don't forget about the size (length) of the trailer either....
Yes, although wheelbase (or the lack thereof) usually only becomes a concern in emergency (avoidance, loss of tire, etc) situations.

Granted, in a straight line, a Cayenne can tow as competently as an F series HD pickup truck.
Old 03-07-2010, 07:44 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Coochas
Wouldn't a Cayenne Turbo be a great tow vehicle with its 515 ftlbs?
The torque curve is probably a bit more important than the (peak) number.

Diesels tend to produce much more torque over a wider powerband, including lower RPM's.
IIRC, my bride's Excursion PSD produces peak torque right around 1900RPM.

But, yes, a Cayenne Turbo (by virtue of the Turbos) would be a better choice than a normally aspirated V8.
However, I'm a bit concerned regarding the transmission (primarily cooling); it's nice to have a vehicle with additional cooling/radiators and HD alternator/electrical as part of a towing package.

These topics have been discussed at length in the Racing/DE forum....having reached 'star' status, along with oil viscosity, H&N restraints, etc.....
Old 03-07-2010, 08:02 PM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm just happy for the few bumps to this thread to keep it alive for five years now....

OK - gotta get all the electrical stuff together as its time to install a brake controller for my neighbors '09 Cayenne Turbo (he tows a 996 track car with a very, very, light weight aluminum Featherlite trailer) - I do this only because he is a very good friend but I'm also promised large quantities of "Purplesaurus Rex" Kool-Aid liberally doused with Kettle One...

Old 03-15-2010, 02:57 AM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Some of the worst pictures I have ever taken - but I was in a hurry and promised a few of you some pictures showing my install on a 2010 "T-Rex & "Egg"

When I get a chance in the next 30 days I'll mark the pictures up to clear a few things and post as a new install cheat sheet...

BTW - it was five years ago today I posted my Cayenne S Brake Controller Install - Wow...

2010 Touareg TDI Brake Controller Harness Install

Here we are with a quick picture just showing everything "as from Germany" before we take out the panel to access our harness - note the diagnostic port on the left and the lower wheel well light on the right.

Violating the poor girl by removing her lower valance - note the diagnostic port blurred in the foreground - see any brake controller OEM harness? I sure don't as it isn't in the same place as was the last time I did this five years ago...

OH - here it is - way up in the top left and hidden behind that other big OEM bundle - I had to really search for it (thus why I'm sure folks are claiming they stopped installing the Brake Controller harnesses) - actually had to feel around for it - that is how well hidden it was! Here it is pulled for a photo op...

Now a picture of my harness completed and ready for install - note the switch for powering both the Prodigy & Relay with the 5 amp fuse inline (its the 12 volts goofy) and the Volkswagen\Audi\Porsche connector ready to plug into that OEM Brake Controller Harness that we just found. Oh - and YES I know I like the purple tie strips (didn't really need them as the cold fusion tape works great - but those strips are in strategic locations to reduce stress as well as keep the wrap on - just in case)...

So now I have connected our harness to the OEM Brake Controller (female with matching male) harness. You can also see where I placed the relay and now I just need to connect the switch to the lower valance panel.

Here is a nice picture after I mounted the toggle switch to the valance for the 12 volt power for the relay and Prodigy - you can see the relay sitting in its perch (with some blue loctite visible as well) and I'm now getting ready to place the Prodigy harness through the diagnostic port opening before I snap that back into place - don't forget your little wheel well light over in the right corner!

Everything back together now - just need to mount the Prodigy and then plug it into its harness sticking out as seen and we can start towing. So glad I put the switch in the circuit as suggested by my fellow "bros" to disable the relay and power to the Prodigy (The Prodigy goes to sleep on its own when not used - I don't think the relay needs to always be energized when not in use - so I remove the power to both devices when not towing...
Old 04-04-2010, 11:13 PM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default Final P3 Install Pictures...

And what good would I be if I didn't post final pics of the P3 as installed....

Old 04-06-2010, 11:38 AM
wch
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

I have a '10 GTS - will the Touareg pics provide a good guide? Thanks.
Old 04-12-2010, 03:21 AM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wch
I have a '10 GTS - will the Touareg pics provide a good guide? Thanks.

D E A D - O N

Old 04-12-2010, 03:22 AM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

And for the person who asked for a picture with the brake pedal being used to trigger the trailer brakes (don't ask me why they asked) here is your pic...

Old 09-02-2010, 07:34 AM
930Ruf3.4
1st Gear

Great assistance, but my 2007 Touareg V10 TDI does not have pre-wired harness. I wired in, but Germany does not like LED trailer lights, as the Prodigy controller works but the lights do not!
BTW, although the aluminum V10 is front heavy, it is a torquey machine and the Euro paddle shifts help keep 550 lbs of torque available. Instead of high rpms, shift into next gear at 1,600 rpms, 80 mph at 2,000 in 6th. Never see 3,000 rpm although redline is 4,400. Dodge Diesel with Edge and other enhancements to get to 800 ftlbs, wins as wheelbase helps, but T-Reg is so nice with air suspension!
Old 01-04-2011, 08:26 AM
'Nova
1st Gear

After reading posts on several forums from JFSheck, it looks like there were a couple of changes to this install, namely using a 30A inline fuse instead of the 5A and 10g wires were suggested by another member on another forum ("The 2 x #000979228 (2 or 2.5mm wire) should be replaced with 2 x #00979302 (4mm wire)" ). One lingering question I can't seem to find the answer to is -what is the component near the switch in orange/clear plastic?

I also read the "get another tow vehicle" solution from ltc, as well as using a non-self leveling controller from several others, but I like a challenge. I've at least managed to tow a trailer with LEDs without any issue, so I promise not to bring that up. Hopefully that will calm the inevitable 1st post lynch mob. :-)
Old 01-08-2011, 09:45 AM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

It is an encapsulated wire coupling device - or it's how I connected three wires together vice soldering them - something new I wanted to try out from a fellow aviator who works on aircraft....
Old 02-19-2011, 09:45 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 802 Likes on 491 Posts

Many thanks for going through the trouble of posting this. I just installed a Tekonsha Primus IQ controller on my '10 GTS with absolutely no problems. The brake controller harness was right where it was supposed to be and with the Primus IQ I did not have to build the wiring harness, just connected the 4 wires.

I have now towing experience yet - will post when I get the trailer.
Old 02-23-2011, 12:03 AM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Congrats!
Old 06-20-2011, 08:49 PM
Jdub111
1st Gear

i know this is kinda an old threat but......
Can anyone tell me where the brake switch wire is and what color the wire is on a 06 Porsche Cayenne s?
I know it is under the hood, im just not sure where to find it and what color the wire is.
Any help will be great, Thanks
Old 07-31-2011, 12:45 PM
Scottfromnapa
Intermediate

I Have a 11' Cayenne S and had a local RV shop install a Prodigy P2. The trailer lights work fine and the Prodigy will brake the trailer using manual mode, but he cant get the controller to activate using the brake pedal. He said there is no current coming from the Black/red stripe wire(brake pedal). Porsche is of no help, and have spoken to several dealerships with no solution so far. Is there something that Im missing?? Any help would be much appreciated!
Attached Images   

Quick Reply: Cayenne Prodigy Brake Controller Install with Pictures