Sponsored by:

All terrain tires for Cayenne

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2004, 06:03 AM
Coen
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question All terrain tires for Cayenne

Here in Oman some of us are using Cayennes for what they were made for: off road fun. Unfortunately the graded roads here are eating tires (Bridgestones 17 and 18 inch) like there is no tomorrow. Any experience out there with some more wear resistant tires?

Also to deal with some of the seriously sharp dune ridges, a few more inches of ground clearance would be useful. My Cayenne has the Middle East off road package but the normal suspension and I am wondering if the ride height can be increased somehow. Any tips?
Old 11-07-2004, 08:22 AM
urban_alchemist
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I use my Turbo for driving off-road here in Israel as well. Not quite as drastic terrain as in Oman, so no problem with ride-height (on 'terrain' setting), or the 19" all-terrain tyres. Not really a helpful post, but I just wanted to say enjoy the driving, and its a shame that most will never know how capable a vehicle the pepper is off-road.
Old 11-07-2004, 11:31 AM
Coen
5th Gear

Thanks for the reply. Indeed most Cayennes are used as soft-roaders. What an unfortunate waste of great engineering! What make are your 19" all terrains?
Old 11-07-2004, 02:32 PM
Brent 89-GT
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have 18" Pirelli Scorpian AT's on my Cayenne right now. I am using them as more of a winter tire than for off-road so no durability report.

You guys seriously consider the Pepper an off-roader? No offense meant really as I do appreciate the capabilities built into the truck but, either of my MB G-Wagens put the Cayenne to shame. My 20 yr old 280GE is far more solid structure wise than my new Cayenne. I would be interested to hear how they hold up in the long run.

These are from a recent trip to Moab Utah.
Attached Images   
Old 11-07-2004, 03:14 PM
Jeffrey Behr
Pro

Received 284 Likes on 124 Posts

Coen, consider the Toyo Proxes S/T, http://www.toyo.com/tires/tire_lines...ck_suv/st.html , or the Hankook RH06, http://www.hankooktireusa.com/produc..._ID=23&CatID=5 .

I have and am using both, on my C-T and prior vehicles; see http://community.webshots.com/photo/...88130718eyslfA .
Old 11-08-2004, 03:21 AM
GM Austin
Pro

The Cayene can go to Moab too and is a capable off-roader and structurally very stiff.

Last edited by GM Austin; 03-04-2014 at 12:10 PM.
Old 11-08-2004, 11:55 AM
Brent 89-GT
Burning Brakes

Honestly, anything can GO to Moab, but there are degrees of capability. Without solid axles and locking differentials the Cayenne is going to be limited in where it can go. I have seen the brake assisted traction control systems in action and they simply do not cut it. There are also degrees of platform stiffness. My newer G is a '95 with 90k miles on it, thousands of them off-road. It is still FAR more solid than the Cayenne.

People also consider the H2 a capable off-roader. We shared the trail with a group of them one day (Poison Spider Mesa Trail) it was hard to watch! I would love to meet a Cayenne in Moab, I only live a couple hours away. I've been trying for years to get a MB ML out there as well since those guys think they have a real off-roader too. Rough gravel roads are a great place for the "new breed" of off-road machines, the 4 and 4+ rated trails of Moab, I'll believe it when I see it.
Old 11-08-2004, 07:27 PM
beemaze
Instructor

I think with the Advanced off-road tech package (AOTP) the Cayenne at least has the locking differentials, but not sure about the solid axles.
Old 11-08-2004, 07:35 PM
beemaze
Instructor

Default ML offroading

almost forgot: Mercedes ML's offroading

http://homepage.mac.com/daven007/ML_...Theater30.html
Old 11-08-2004, 08:15 PM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

My G-Wagen was so good that Merceedes bought it back!

I'll agree that under 25 MPH nothing beats a G wagen. However the at road speeds, unless fixed, the ESP is way too intrusive and dangerous (never mind the slow ponderous steering). The truck can't be driven in a normal manner, the wierd thing was my 02 was great and the 03..well it lasted 600 miles.

I think I've done those trails in an 03 RR and I know the Cayenne can manage them too, is that Poison Spider?
Old 11-08-2004, 08:19 PM
Brent 89-GT
Burning Brakes

The Cayenne off-road package does include a rear differential lock, and I think it also includes a swaybar dissconnect feature to help wheel articulation. Both are neat and useful features.

I am probably getting carried away with the subject anyway. I never expected the Cayenne or an ML to perform off-road as well as something so purpose built as the G-wagen. Fact is, the Cayenne is probably better rounded and that is its true purpose, to be good at a bunch of different tasks while all along being a great on road SUV.
Old 11-08-2004, 08:23 PM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

I have the above mentioned Cayenne TT, but I haven't got it off road yet!
Old 11-08-2004, 10:30 PM
1988carrera
Instructor

Hi Colm, can we get some people in the bay area to Hollister hills OHV park?
Old 11-09-2004, 12:25 AM
EuroCarNut
Instructor

As far as tires go, I put on the Pirelli Scorpion All-Terrains in 18" @ 2500 miles. I have now gone over 30,000 miles, and the only reason I have gone through 3 of them is because of sidewall puncture. As far as wear goes, I still have 2 that are doing well that have about 20,000 miles on them (I rotate out with my 5th tire, a full 18" spare) . They are not as tough as the BFG A/T's, but they also are able to sustain speeds up to 120 mph.

I have off-roaded with GM Austin quite a few times, and I will say that with the air suspension, I have seen GM take some climbs that the modified LR Discoverys on our trip were having problems doing. Of course, GM is also willing to put up with more potential body damage than I am willing to sustain.

Which is why I have bought a Pinzgauer to use as a dedicated off-road vehicle. Now if I can only figure out how to retrofit a trailer hitch on the Cayenne for less than $1500, maybe I can start towing the Pinzgauer with the Cayenne, roof rack and spare tires in tow.
Old 11-09-2004, 12:51 AM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

1988carrera,

I would love to, but let's avoid the tank trap!

Could be a real photo opportunity and there's a few guys in texas who like to go off roading.

Quick Reply: All terrain tires for Cayenne