Sponsored by:

Do I need snow tires?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2004, 01:27 AM
Control It
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do I need snow tires?

I see that my 05 CS came with M&S tires. I wonder if these will be good enough for snow around here (NJ)...

I have 18" wheels btw...

If not, any recommendations on snows?

I was please when my dealer said they would not be necessary...
Old 09-06-2004, 02:16 AM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 32 Posts

Drove my CS with 18 inches turbo wheel and stock M & S tires in snow last year. Up to 8 inches of snow and no problem at all. I guess it was because the tires' treads are still relatively new.
P.S. I like your stable of Porsches. I guess your biggest decision each day is which Porsche to drive.
Old 09-06-2004, 02:17 AM
Pcar Squared
Instructor

I have the Pirelli M&S on 18"s, in deep snow and slick roads I would have wanted real snow tires. But for the limited winter dribing that we get here the M&S did just fine. Wear has been horrid 2 sets in 16k and needing a third. But we all know that my CS is possesed!
Old 09-06-2004, 02:11 PM
bancu
Racer

Default Do I need _winter_ tires?"

How are you going to feel if you have an accident in the cold weather and don't have winter tires on? I think of winter tires as insurance. To me, $1k, or less, for winter tires is worth the piece of mind that I've done as much as I can on my end.

Driving on them for a season, Porsche did a good job with their recommendation of Dunlop Winter Sports in 235/60r18 (http://www3.us.porsche.com/english/u...dertabelle.htm) for the way I drive my Cayenne. They're narrow and tall and seem to have a good enough tread design and compound as I go from bare to ice covered surfaces.

Over the years, I've driven both Bridgestone Blizzaks and Dunlop M2s on other vehicles. While the multicell Blizzaks seem to be a better on ice, the super soft compound makes them a bit spongy when you're driving around in less demanding weather.

You might want to take a look at TireRack's articles on winter tires for more information:
http://www.tirerack.com/winter/tech/index.html
Old 09-06-2004, 02:17 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I live North of Philly, so our weather is similar, I have 18 Conti M & S and had no problems last winter, save your money.
Old 09-06-2004, 02:23 PM
DC from Cape Cod
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts

I drove my 04 Turbo last year on the stock M&S and it was horrible so I just ordered a set of wheels/tires from Tirerack for my 05 Turbo.

The difference between a good snow tire and the factory tire is like night and day. You may find that the factory tires are adequate if you only drive a little in the snow. If you drive more than that, or...like me, you want to protect your painted Technos from the winter, pick up a cheap set. The $1500 or so that it will cost you is very cheap insurance.

Quick Reply: Do I need snow tires?