Sponsored by:

Here I go again - 911 to Cayenne

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2004, 04:17 AM
Spizz Oil
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Here I go again - 911 to Cayenne

I have a 996 C4 with a 997 Carrera S on order.

For some unaccountable reason have started lusting again for a Cayenne S or at a stretch a TT.

Has anyone made the transition?

Regrets?

Spizz
Old 08-27-2004, 04:27 AM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

At one time I considered this. At the time I had a Boxster S. I finally realized, after always being a little unhappy about the Boxster S, that I simply need to drive a 911, and nothing else would make me happy. The Cayenne would have been just another substitute that wasn't up to par. I solved this dilemma by getting a Cayenne S for my wife, and getting a new Targa for myself.

I do drive the Cayenne S on weekends with the family, and for an "SUV" its a fantastic package and I like it a lot. But it is not a substitute for a 911 if that is what is in your blood.
Old 08-27-2004, 06:05 AM
jmmitias
Advanced

The Cayenne is a great SUV, family car, tow vehicle all in one. It WILL NOT replace your desire for a sports car. I love my Cayenne S and was going to purchase a TT but decided against it after driving the TT vs CS back to back. I am probably the only member that prefers the S over the TT for the following reasons:

1. The CS with the steel suspension handles much more sharply and you can feel exactly what the vehicle is up to at all times. Hell, you can even trail brake it effectively. The air suspension adds a layer of "civility" between you and the road. The downside is that the steel suspenson does not ride as well as the air suspension.

2. I hate the variable assist steering that is standard on the TT. When driven side by side with the standard steering there is a remarkable decrease in steering feel. I know this is stupid to consider in a truck, but there it is.

3. The engine note on the CS is better than the TT.

4. Without all those options it is $25,000 less than the TT. Resale is better on the CS even on percentage terms. I plan on sinking that into Club racing this season since running a GT3 Cup car ain't cheap.
Old 08-27-2004, 12:44 PM
Itzkirb
Rennlist Member

Received 824 Likes on 269 Posts

Just get both! Best of both worlds!
Old 08-27-2004, 12:58 PM
DC from Cape Cod
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts

Good advice!
Old 08-27-2004, 02:06 PM
VinMar911
Advanced

I made the swith out of neccesity and could not be happier. I only have a 2 car garage right now but my new house being built is a 3 car. I will buy a used 997 sometime next year and keep the Cayenne.
Old 08-27-2004, 04:46 PM
Cayenne Austin
Instructor

Originally Posted by jmmitias
The Cayenne is a great SUV, family car, tow vehicle all in one. It WILL NOT replace your desire for a sports car. I love my Cayenne S and was going to purchase a TT but decided against it after driving the TT vs CS back to back. I am probably the only member that prefers the S over the TT for the following reasons:

1. The CS with the steel suspension handles much more sharply and you can feel exactly what the vehicle is up to at all times. Hell, you can even trail brake it effectively. The air suspension adds a layer of "civility" between you and the road. The downside is that the steel suspenson does not ride as well as the air suspension.

2. I hate the variable assist steering that is standard on the TT. When driven side by side with the standard steering there is a remarkable decrease in steering feel. I know this is stupid to consider in a truck, but there it is.

3. The engine note on the CS is better than the TT.

4. Without all those options it is $25,000 less than the TT. Resale is better on the CS even on percentage terms. I plan on sinking that into Club racing this season since running a GT3 Cup car ain't cheap.

Rock and roll- I feel exactly the same way:

1) Like the steel- handles well (IMHO) and the ride on the roads I drive is great.

2) Could live without variable assit, but wife insisted- it's her daily driver.

3) Engine note is better. Interestingly, the note on my 04 is noticibly better than the 03 I just traded. Have no clue why..

4) Resale is certainly better and easier to sell when it is time.
Old 08-27-2004, 05:24 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 839 Likes on 423 Posts

I traded my Boxster S in on a CS and am very happy. For a street driven car, the CS is great, and I can basically take turns at the same speed as I did in my Boxster (which is about 6/10th of track speed...anything more is just not safe on the street). If you need a dual prupose vehicle (street & track), get the 911.
Old 08-28-2004, 11:53 AM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Having just gotten my ordered 05 TT yesterday (trading in my 03 CS) I can state that it out performs my expectations. I have a Boxster S and this truck just hauls *ss. I drove it 300 miles and was playing around with the shock settings and I was amazed with the variations available. The Boxster is nice for driving a relatively short distance in nice weather, but truck is a LOT of fun. Working on break in miles, I only got on it once to make a quick pass and it gives one a big kick in the back when the boost hits. I had it on cruise control for a bit going up and down some hills on I-5 and it maintains speed nicely. I got 18 MPG and averaged 70 MPH driving from Portland to Medford. Can't wait for it get broken in. Though it should not be long, given the smile factor this evokes!
Old 09-01-2004, 12:40 AM
Josh Warner
Rennlist Member

Maybe a few days late with this response, but I made the switch from a brilliantly set up 01 996 C2 to the Cayenne Turbo just a few weeks ago and I'm totally smitten. I love the truck. So much fun! Handles great, and I mean great when compared to most cars on the road, not compared to other SUV's. I liked the X5, but the Turbo spanks it in my opinion.

Go drive one. I needed more room for the next year and made the jump, opting tonot keep the 996 as I figured it would just sit like my 928. Now I'm fairly certain that when I'm ready for another coupe I'll get one and keep the truck. Great road trip car too. Good luck with your decision, very different kinds of vehicles but the Cayenne Turbo is far more fun than any SUV that came before. I am surprised everytime I get in and it's been weeks now.

JW
Old 09-03-2004, 02:40 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,300 Likes on 1,359 Posts

Figured I would throw in my .02 worth. Purchased an 04 CT a few weeks back. Just turned 1100 miles and I have to admit I have never enjoyed a vehicle for all around driving pleasure as I am finding the CT to offer. My 3.6 is an amazing car but it has sat in the garage for the most part since I bought the CT. You need to play with the Tip to get it to respond and handle properly but for a nearly 6000 pound truck it gives me that Porsche smile whenever I drive it.

If you drive congested roads that are not always ideal for a 911 the CT is the car for you. I tried the S both air and spring. Found the S to be seriously lacking in low end power (although above 4k it has all anyone needs). The CT is amazing and has more power than you will ever need in a vehicle this size. You can keep the revs below 3k and still pass and maneuver through traffic without a problem. Or you can trounce about any sedan (minus a few) by putting the pedal to the floor. The torque is outstanding and it comes on almost immediately. I find for urban areas the CT does about everything my cousins 996 does and gives you all the room to load the family. (This does not include the ability to make very agressive maneuvers in and out of tight traffic that one may attempt in a 911. It is doable but not advisable)( very similar to being in a 911 and trying to keep up with someone on a bike through traffic) A couple of weeks back I drove the CT through the worst storm in my life (70MPH winds, 2 inches standing water) I felt very safe could drive as fast as I could see ahead and although I tried, could not make the thing slip or slide)

I Followed an 87 Carrera the other day and the poor thing was useless against the CT. The CT easily matched handling (using the tip and keeping the revs about 4k) on relatively agressive roads and easily out accelerated the Carrera by a wide margin and I have yet to tap this engines potential. (2k break in period). The bulk of this things power lies above 4k.

I would have a hard time giving up my 3.6. But I would honestly have to say if I had to eliminate one and it was for daily street use only, the CT is an amazing vehicle.

I would test drive both the S and the CT. If you can, take one out without the salesman. Push it and see what you think. I think you will be pleasently surprised and with the deals they are making on 04's it is worth giving it a shot.
Old 09-03-2004, 07:06 PM
philg3
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 72 Posts

I had a 996, and while it was an outstanding vehicle, over 2 years I only put 4Kmi on it since I was afraid to park it anywhere. I like to go to Costco, and the Carerra is not a good Costco vehicle. It's also not a good vehicle to take the dog around. Great vehicle though, and I do miss it sometimes. I have a 04 CT, and I think it's fantastic; it can be used for so many more things than the 996. Right now, I'm up at Tahoe, and the CT is incredible in the mountains with what seems to be unlimited power, and perfect shifting and gearing for the speed and steepness. BTW, I just had the dealer re-map the transmission, and performance improved a lot. On the other hand, last week I did see a 997S at the dealer, while I did not drive it, its got to really move. Both are different vehicles for different purposes, and while the CT may not give you the precise performance as the 997, it's real good. No doubt about it, if I were in the market for a sports car, I would get the 997S. Also, keep in mind that first year production vehicles can be frustrating. The CT has been out long enough that I suspect most of the bugs have been fixed.
Old 09-03-2004, 09:35 PM
docjackson1
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i agree with most everyone else. i have both an 03 996tt and an 04 cayenne s. i love both, but one will never take the place of the other. if you can buy both, do it-otherwise, don't give up a carrera for a cayenne.
Old 09-04-2004, 11:16 AM
DanP
Instructor

Originally Posted by Spizz Oil
I have a 996 C4 with a 997 Carrera S on order.

For some unaccountable reason have started lusting again for a Cayenne S or at a stretch a TT.

Has anyone made the transition?

Regrets?

Spizz
If you made the switch, chances are it would be a short-lived romance.

Unfortunately speaking from experience.
Old 09-04-2004, 08:01 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,300 Likes on 1,359 Posts

Originally Posted by DanP
If you made the switch, chances are it would be a short-lived romance.

Unfortunately speaking from experience.
May I ask why you feel so disappointed? Having both the 3.6 and the CT makes it easy to find the pros of both. What is it that you find leaves you wanting after switching to the CT?

Quick Reply: Here I go again - 911 to Cayenne