Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Contradiction.

Old 08-26-2004, 04:54 PM
AeroGT3RedWing
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Contradiction.

First off. this is not a cayenne bash session.
Okay. so i've noticed quite a large number of people are purchasing Cayenne Turbos, at quite the cost as well. its a fast SUV, but isn't that an oxy moron. wouldn't it make sense to purchase a sports car, like a GT3 for a similar price? a few things would justify this:
1.) a GT3 or similarly priced sports car is not off road capable.
countering that, how many turbo owners here go four wheeling frequently?
2.) the family hauler with more seats than a sports coupe.
the BMW M5 for example is priced at 80-90k. it has 50 more horsepower, weighs 1500 pounds less, it look stunning, lower, sportier, but more comfortable ride. to add to the speed figures, throw in the 7 speed transmission.
I'm confused. if you bought a cayenne, espcially the turbo, performance is a big part of the equation. i can't reconcile spending that much for 456 horsepower if you never want to use them. with that said, all other reasons can be justified with other vehicles. what am i missing? in terms of performance, there are other vehicles that out run the CT while still providing consolation for the other reasons one might have for purchasing a cayenne (space, etc.)
please fill me in.
Old 08-26-2004, 05:01 PM
Itzkirb
Rennlist Member

Received 796 Likes on 259 Posts

Friend of mine with a Cayenne Turbo used his on the Track. What a beast it is...

Old 08-26-2004, 05:04 PM
AeroGT3RedWing
Racer

Why not track a GT3? faster, safer, better in all track aspects. does he like seeing above all the 911's in front of him :P
Old 08-26-2004, 05:14 PM
Itzkirb
Rennlist Member

Received 796 Likes on 259 Posts

I think he also uses it to Haul stuff around...he also has a 996 Turbo as well. I guess Porsche is just in our blood.
Old 08-26-2004, 05:45 PM
LegoDoom
Instructor

A CT can still drive pretty well in bad weather or be used for offroading. Not to mention that it can used as a tow vehicle. It depends what you're using it for.
Old 08-26-2004, 06:23 PM
Elton in SoCal
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Here are some of the many reasons why...

(not in order of importance)

1) CT is over 6,000 lbs (gross vehicle weight). A huge tax deduction can be had if used in a trade or business.
2) CT is a great tow vehicle, and it can be used around town as well.
3) Some of us plan on using the 4WD when hitting the slopes.
4) I had a 24 hour test drive of a W12 Phaeton, and I told VW that for this price I would buy a CT. One of the reasons why is the full leather interior IMO is more luxurious than the crackled vinyl crap that the Phaeton has.
5) Many Porsche fanatics want/need a vehicle with four doors and are willing to deal with the Kraut engineering.
6) Many of us Pepper buyers said "hell no" when we heard that Porsche was going to make a SUV. One test drive and we were sold!
Old 08-26-2004, 07:12 PM
offroad911
Instructor

You miss the point....................There is a crest on the hood. Makes me glad everytime I drive it!

No different from the guy who has to have a horse on his hood!
Old 08-26-2004, 09:20 PM
TheTKDKid
Intermediate

Many Porsche fanatics want/need a vehicle with four doors and are willing to deal with the Kraut engineering.

Come on now. It's fine to belittle poor engineering, and even worse quality control that is often evidenced in the Cayenne. You didn't need to include an adjective that many would consider ethnically offensive
Old 08-26-2004, 09:37 PM
Elton in SoCal
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
Default I did it on purpose...

Originally Posted by TheTKDKid
Come on now. It's fine to belittle poor engineering, and even worse quality control that is often evidenced in the Cayenne. You didn't need to include an adjective that many would consider ethnically offensive
Why? Because I have yet to see anyone say the same thing when someone uses the word "rice" around here.

Have you ever jumped in when someone used the word "rice" around here? I didn't think so.

Nothing personal.
Old 08-26-2004, 10:18 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

but its a BMW !
Old 08-27-2004, 02:25 AM
DC from Cape Cod
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts

I bought it because I could, because I could write it off, because I wanted AWD and because my wife didn't like it.

I also have a 911....which kicks the Cayenne's butt in the twisties.

It's your money, spend it however you like.
Old 08-28-2004, 03:45 AM
PCH
Instructor

Originally Posted by AeroGT3RedWing
First off. this is not a cayenne bash session.
Okay. so i've noticed quite a large number of people are purchasing Cayenne Turbos, at quite the cost as well. its a fast SUV, but isn't that an oxy moron. wouldn't it make sense to purchase a sports car, like a GT3 for a similar price? a few things would justify this:
1.) a GT3 or similarly priced sports car is not off road capable.
countering that, how many turbo owners here go four wheeling frequently?
2.) the family hauler with more seats than a sports coupe.
the BMW M5 for example is priced at 80-90k. it has 50 more horsepower, weighs 1500 pounds less, it look stunning, lower, sportier, but more comfortable ride. to add to the speed figures, throw in the 7 speed transmission.
I'm confused. if you bought a cayenne, espcially the turbo, performance is a big part of the equation. i can't reconcile spending that much for 456 horsepower if you never want to use them. with that said, all other reasons can be justified with other vehicles. what am i missing? in terms of performance, there are other vehicles that out run the CT while still providing consolation for the other reasons one might have for purchasing a cayenne (space, etc.)
please fill me in.
For many of us C owners this is not are only car. Many have other Porsche's, Ferrari's, BMW's, MB's etc. Your question as to why one would purchase a CTT can be asked of anyone regarding any car they purchase. You state, "I can't reconcile spending that much for 456 horsepower if you never use them" Yet in the same breath question why one wouldn't purchase a GT3 or M5 instead. Doesn't the same statement apply here? Do you really feel that most GT3 or M5 owners actually utilize their car's performance potential? It's merely a personal choice.

Last edited by PCH; 08-28-2004 at 12:03 PM.
Old 08-28-2004, 03:13 PM
ajauch
Instructor

Default Duh

Why buy a SUV? Duh! A sports car won't:

1) Tow my boat
2) Drive up my unplowed driveway in the snow
3) Carry my Kayaks
4) Haul my car carrier
5) Go offroad

Do we really need to have this conversation?

Once you decide to buy an SUV, the CT is a no-brainer. Just drive it and any other SUV on the planet back to back. It took me about ten seconds to decide.

I love my Boxster, but it can't and won't do everything I need.

Alex
Old 08-28-2004, 03:34 PM
ljugete
Rennlist Member

It is an awesome SUV (911 on steroids really)! I am very pleased with my CS. If I could have, I would have jumped at the CT (bigger Tax deduction too ). I have no complaints with the CS (you get 75% of what the CT delivers with a close to 30K left in my pocket.

I would not have any other SUV! "There is No Substitute"
Old 08-28-2004, 08:24 PM
AeroGT3RedWing
Racer

I can't reconcile spending that much for 456 horsepower if you never use them" Yet in the same breath question why one wouldn't purchase a GT3 or M5 instead. Doesn't the same statement apply here? Do you really feel that most GT3 or M5 owners actually utilize their car's performance potential?

Well, yes I do. MANY GT3 owners track their cars. And many M5 owners don't, but the point i am trying to make is NOT that M5 owners track cars and Cayenne owners don't, and that therefore the cayenne should lack sportiness altogether. However, why go to such great lengths to put so much power in a vehicle who's weight, size, hieght, and general purpose all have a propensity further away from the track? And for reference, i can see the need for a Cayenne S. It tows 7000+ lbs, and the V6 doesn't. But why the turbo? It doesn't tow any more. It goes a little bit faster though. What i am trying to point out is that most cayenne turbo owners will not off road their cars. and since the 456 HP doesn't tow any more than the S, there's only one advantage of the turbo's performance over that of the S, and that's SPEED. If you want speed, get a 911. If you need speed and 5 doors, luxury, comfort, etc., get an M5.

and if you need to:
1) Tow [your] boat
2) Drive up [your] unplowed driveway in the snow
3) Carry [your] Kayaks
4) Haul [your] car carrier
5) Go offroad

Why not get an S over a turbo? As far as completing those tasks, i see the S as capable in all of them as the turbo. The turbo is faster though, and I don't see everyday driving requiring 0-60 in 5 or less. Again, if you want speed, get a 911. If you need speed and 5 doors, luxury, comfort, etc., get an M5.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Contradiction.