Sponsored by:

Wiper Noise Fix?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2004, 12:25 PM
rbaron
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wiper Noise Fix?

I've done a search on this and other fora but haven't found a clear answer.

One of the few complaints I've got about my S (3/04 build date, 5/04 delivery. 2700 miles) is noise from the front windshield wipers...a sort of a clunk or clack at (primarily) the top of the stroke. The service tech at the dealer says there is no real adjustment to cure this, but I thought I'd pursure the issue a little further with this group's collective wisdom.

Can anyone offer a fix or a cure?

Thanks,

--Bob
Old 07-08-2004, 05:00 PM
kevin152
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is one nagging problem that has plagued me for a year now. New blades do not fix the problem.
Old 07-08-2004, 05:07 PM
Cayenne Austin
Instructor

Mine were very noisy in general under operation- I applied RainX to the windsheild per manf directions, and cleaned the wiper blades with it. Result is much quieter operation.

Could be that drag on the glass is causing the noise....
Old 07-08-2004, 05:09 PM
rbaron
Racer

Gary, thanks.

I have it in mind there are several different RainX products or formulations. Can you tell us which specific RainX product you used?

--Bob
Old 07-08-2004, 05:18 PM
Cayenne Austin
Instructor

Used the original, yellow bottle that has been out for years. Worked like a charm.
Old 07-08-2004, 05:45 PM
oscarb57
5th Gear

One of the few complaints I've got about my S (3/04 build date, 5/04 delivery. 2700 miles) is noise from the front windshield wipers...a sort of a clunk or clack at (primarily) the top of the stroke. The service tech at the dealer says there is no real adjustment to cure this, but I thought I'd pursure the issue a little further with this group's collective wisdom.
That's interesting. My original wiper blades were terrible and needed replacement. which the dealer did for no charge when I brought the vehicle back for my first oil change at 6 months. The new blades are great, but in fixing the problem, the wipers went from quiet to terrible, just as you described. It seems they are being applied too tightly against the windshield now. Surely, there is an tensionadjustment. Can anyone find the ****/screw/spring....?
Old 07-08-2004, 09:34 PM
rbaron
Racer

Oscar, I had an almost similar experience, come to think of it: when I took the car in (after about 3+ weeks of possession, with intermittent rain) for cd changer installation I reported that the wipers were quiet except for a clunk at the top of the stroke on the driver's side; the service advisor reported they could not find a problem, but thereafter the wipers seemed noisier throughout their movement. I wonder if the tech did try an adjustment and thus made it somehow worse throughout the arc of movement.

Be that as it may, I'm going to try Gary's solution.

This means, of course, it will not rain again until October.

;-)

--Bob
Old 07-08-2004, 09:39 PM
Cayenne Austin
Instructor

Apparently this is an issue with the type/style of wiper blades- they are standard on the 04 TT, and I got the RainX solution over on audiworld. Apparently the manufacturer even has instructions to use RainX to solve chatter/noise issues in the TT retro-fit kit.
Old 07-16-2004, 03:29 PM
ajauch
Instructor

Default Standard Porsche Issue

I've had similar issues with every Porsche I've purchased. I'm to the point now where I don't even notice. My wife's Audi had the same problem. My standard approach now is to get PIAA silicon wipers and install them before the first rain of the season. They work way better than the OEM part and are VERY quiet.

They use a silicon lubricant built into the blade to reduce friction (noise) that also causes the water to bead up (less haze and etc..).

For whatever reason, they seem to save money on the wiper blades. Seems strange on a $100K car, but what the hell. Wipers are consumables anyway.

Alex
Old 07-16-2004, 06:16 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I use 303 Aerospace protectant. It's a plastic/rubber UV protectant/conditioner. Just wiped it on the blades and the wipers are now quiet. These are my original blades and they have 20,000 miles...Try it, you'll like it...True Value Hardware stores stock the stuff in a spray bottle. Works great on plastic and rubber trim and tires. Not greasy or glossy in appearence either. Awesome stuff...
Old 07-17-2004, 12:54 AM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by rockitman
I use 303 Aerospace protectant. It's a plastic/rubber UV protectant/conditioner. Just wiped it on the blades and the wipers are now quiet. These are my original blades and they have 20,000 miles...Try it, you'll like it...True Value Hardware stores stock the stuff in a spray bottle. Works great on plastic and rubber trim and tires. Not greasy or glossy in appearence either. Awesome stuff...
I'm there, thanks for the tip!

Quick Reply: Wiper Noise Fix?