Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electronic Rear Hatch Lock

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2004, 05:47 PM
BenLee
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I never looked through the complete of options so didn't get the electronic latch. What a mistake. I don't have problems closing it but my wife definitely does. In addition, if the baby's sleeping it would be nice to not have to shake up the whole car when closing the hatch. I asked the dealer about this a while back and they said there is no retrofit available - this was 5-6 months ago though.
Old 08-04-2004, 12:08 AM
Itzkirb
Rennlist Member

Received 796 Likes on 259 Posts

Just as an update...

I brought my Cayenne S to Carlsen and Brian Haske fixed the problem. They did a minor adjustment to the rear hatch and now it closes like a charm...no more slamming it!

I like it now...no need for the Electronic Comfort package, haha
Old 08-08-2004, 05:05 AM
bnhs1210
Track Day

Originally Posted by Itzkirb
Just as an update...

I brought my Cayenne S to Carlsen and Brian Haske fixed the problem. They did a minor adjustment to the rear hatch and now it closes like a charm...no more slamming it!

I like it now...no need for the Electronic Comfort package, haha
Thx for your update
BTW, What kinda job did they do?
Can the other dealership provide same svc??

My wife can't close the **** door so that every single time I did it and Now my arm's getting bigger..
Old 08-09-2004, 01:10 PM
mm
Track Day

Yes, we're all waiting for more detailed information about the fix.

Thanks.
Old 06-06-2006, 12:07 PM
curveraider
Racer

Just curious, did anybody actually do the upgrade and add the motor?
Old 06-07-2006, 01:07 AM
STATMAN
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by curveraider
I have a 2004 CS and need only close the hatch gently and then an electronic motor kicks in that secures the hatch in its locked position. I assumed that this was standard on all Cayennes and, therefore, no upgrade was needed. Was this part of a some convenience package that I purchased, or am I missing something?
Old 06-07-2006, 06:05 AM
Pfil
AutoX

Are you guys talking about the liftgate or the glass hatch?

When I drove my 06 off the lot, I was getting a warning beep every time I pulled away from a stop. I thought it was the speed limit warning that had somehow been set to 1mph or something...upon cracking open the owner's manual, turned out to be the glass hatch. I have to slam the thing shut to get it to turn the warning sensor off. I think it will sort of latch before that.
Old 06-07-2006, 08:48 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Pfil
Are you guys talking about the liftgate or the glass hatch?
They are referring to the liftgate

Originally Posted by Pfil
When I drove my 06 off the lot, I was getting a warning beep every time I pulled away from a stop. I thought it was the speed limit warning that had somehow been set to 1mph or something...upon cracking open the owner's manual, turned out to be the glass hatch. I have to slam the thing shut to get it to turn the warning sensor off. I think it will sort of latch before that.
Your dealer needs to replace (or perhaps they'll adjust it) the rear glass microsensor.......this is different from the 4 revisions of the rear glass microswitch, which was responsible for your rear glass opening all by itself and refusing to stay closed.
Old 06-07-2006, 08:50 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by curveraider
Given the VIN/option specific nature/design/manufacture of the Cayenne's wiring harness, I wonder if the electrical connection is there to allow you to upgrade to the electric rear hatch closing option......
Old 06-08-2006, 01:41 AM
Pfil
AutoX

Originally Posted by ltc
Your dealer needs to replace (or perhaps they'll adjust it) the rear glass microsensor.......this is different from the 4 revisions of the rear glass microswitch, which was responsible for your rear glass opening all by itself and refusing to stay closed.
No, they just need to remind the guy who they have detailing the new cars rolling off the lot to properly shut all the doors and windows. It hasn't been a problem since I realized what was triggering it.
Old 03-18-2014, 12:31 PM
Koolstude
4th Gear

Has anyone ever documented 'How To Retro Fit' a power soft close lock to the tailgate.
Buying the power lock & fitting it will be the easy part, but how about connecting the wiring to a vehicle which never had this option?
Old 03-19-2014, 11:22 AM
nineoneone
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

I found on the glass part that just under the rubber the metal had rusted. I mean so bad that it had swollen and would not let the glass close without slamming it. I removed the rusted stuff and the glass closes with my little finger now.
Old 03-20-2014, 04:32 AM
Koolstude
4th Gear

My glass lid is fine, but the main tailgate, I really have to slam it so hard; I'm scared I'm going to do some damage. It's totally unacceptable. I've had 3 Mercs & a BMW in the past, dating back to 1994 & they all had a soft close tailgate. For Porsche not to put a 10 buck part on a car astounds me & could stop some from buying the brand again. I've got to get this sorted, as I fear I can't use the tailgate.
Old 03-20-2014, 05:04 AM
bigbuzuki
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Koolstude
My glass lid is fine, but the main tailgate, I really have to slam it so hard; I'm scared I'm going to do some damage. It's totally unacceptable. I've had 3 Mercs & a BMW in the past, dating back to 1994 & they all had a soft close tailgate. For Porsche not to put a 10 buck part on a car astounds me & could stop some from buying the brand again. I've got to get this sorted, as I fear I can't use the tailgate.
Are you sure you don't have the closing mechanism?
Do you have option code IGY1?
Old 03-21-2014, 09:58 AM
Koolstude
4th Gear

Positive I don't have the closing mechanisim. I've removed the stainless trim panel around the latch.
I want to fit one, but is the wiring in place for me to connect to?

Not sure if you can see this image:

Quick Reply: Electronic Rear Hatch Lock