Sponsored by:

Most cost effective update for ride quality on 200K mile '06 V

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2024, 06:39 PM
KillerBeagle
Track Day

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Most cost effective update for ride quality on 200K mile '06 V

I recently bought a 2006 V6 model with 200K miles for under $1500. It runs well and the interior and exterior are all in excellent condition. It was regularly serviced at a Porsche dealer thru 180K miles. I repaired the driveshaft bearing support and replaced the rear hatch struts; headliner still needs repair.

The main issue I have now is that the ride is pretty harsh. You can feel every bump and lump in the road. I don't mind having a good road feel but this is a little much.
Tires 255/55R18 at recommended pressure, High Country Touring H/T with DOT code 2216. I don't really know what to look for in the front suspension but all the rubber boots are in good shape.

What would give me the most bang for the buck in terms of improving ride quality? The tires will need replacing due to age in the next few years anyway, so should I start there? Or would replacing shocks/struts/springs be more effective? Or something else? A full suspension refresh is out of my budget given this is just a short trip / fun car, not a daily driver.
Old 08-09-2024, 01:54 AM
BobcatBrian
Racer

Received 108 Likes on 94 Posts

You can get a set of 4 quick strut assemblies (shocks, springs, and mounts) for under $300 online. They probably aren’t great, but should hopefully be better than your 200k suspension. Are you doing the work yourself?
The following users liked this post:
KillerBeagle (08-09-2024)
Old 08-09-2024, 11:58 AM
KillerBeagle
Track Day

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BobcatBrian
You can get a set of 4 quick strut assemblies (shocks, springs, and mounts) for under $300 online. They probably aren’t great, but should hopefully be better than your 200k suspension. Are you doing the work yourself?
Yes, I plan to do the work myself where possible. The pre-assembled sets make the job a lot safer. I'm sure I can do the fronts; the rears have that one nasty nut that's hard to reach, and are under tension even with the wheel off, so I'm not so sure about them.

Quick Reply: Most cost effective update for ride quality on 200K mile '06 V