AC working every other time

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2024, 12:18 AM
BigDonkey
8th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default AC working every other time

Hi all,

My AC seems to have a mind of it's own as of late. When it works it's ice cold, the problem is that if it doesn't it normally needs a vehicle restart to work again. The fan works fine, I have replaced the AC pressure switch sensor and the blower motor resistor. What should I check next?
Old 08-05-2024, 12:27 AM
sundered
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure if this helps, but my friend's car had a similar problem. Ended up being low refrigerant. Might be worth getting it checked at a shop? They can do a proper diagnosis.
Old 08-05-2024, 12:42 AM
na2ub
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not cayenne specific, but worth checking / swapping the relay compressor relay. These can fail intermittently at first. Second thing to check is the refrigerant pressures (when it is working), or take it to a shop like the previous poster suggested. You can get AC pressure gauges off amazon for not too much. These will allow you to top up the refrigerant too, if needed, by yourself. Just before I bought my cayenne, 2004 with 90 k miles, the PO had just had the AC topped up due to low refrigerant. 3rd thing that could cause this would be a failing AC compressor clutch (i.e. the compressor does not turn on due to the clutch). In my experience, failure of the clutch is first noticed when its really hot out, or the AC has been running for a long time. The pressure switches (hi and lo) can stop the AC from working, but often as intended, like when your refrigerant pressure is to low due to loss over time.
Old 08-05-2024, 01:28 PM
theprf
Race Car

Received 1,900 Likes on 1,210 Posts

Cayenne doesn't have a compressor relay or a compressor clutch. The compressor is electrical variable displacement controlled by the ECU.
Old 08-28-2024, 03:18 PM
BigDonkey
8th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

SOLVED:

I have checked the AC loop pressures and they were within norm. I should have searched the forums a bit better as I have stumbled upon an older thread mentioning this same exact issue that ended up being the ambient temp sensor under the glove box. I unplugged mine and the AC started blowing cold every time. I found an 'Audi' sensor on Amazon and it seems to work fine so far:

Amazon Amazon

I hope this helps someone else in the future

Thread that pointed me in the right direction:
https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...-sensor-3.html

Last edited by BigDonkey; 08-28-2024 at 03:24 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by BigDonkey:
BobcatBrian (08-28-2024), Malibu955 (08-28-2024)

Quick Reply: AC working every other time