Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

957 VR6 6MT sudden shifting issues, could use advice troubleshooting.

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2024, 03:51 PM
pnw_mike
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts
Default 957 VR6 6MT sudden shifting issues, could use advice troubleshooting.

The other morning my Cayenne was suddenly very notchy and difficult to shift into gears.
Reverse is by far the most difficult, I have even had to start the car in reverse because I can't shift into it. First is slightly easier, then second etc. Once the car is moving it shifts pretty normal with minimally increased notchiness as if it were cold.

-Clutch pedal and engagement feel normal or close to it, with the exception of feeling some very minor vibration from the clutch pedal the day the trouble began when engaged (throwout bearing?). I don't feel the vibration anymore.
-Shifter feels normal and smoothly shifts into all gears when the engine is off.
-I was able to eye up the shifter linkage while someone shifted around and it seemed to function normally.
-Brake fluid level is normal. (it's my understanding the clutch shares the same Brake fluid reservoir)
-Transmission fluid was replaced 2 years and 10,000 miles ago with Royal Purple Gear oil.
-I opened up the fluid fill plug when warm and some transmission fluid seeped out , the fluid seemed like it was in good shape and if there is a magnet on the end of of the plug as it seems there were no shavings.
-When I have the clutch depressed on a level parking lot I can feel the car start to bump or roll forward when I attempt to push the shifter into first.
- I'm at 155,000mi on the original clutch. I've never had any slipping or clutch issues before this event.

At this point I'm thinking it's a clutch issue, maybe one of the master/slave cylinders?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I haven't had good luck with any of the Porsche shops in Seattle.

Last edited by pnw_mike; 07-29-2024 at 04:45 PM.
Old 07-30-2024, 08:57 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,772 Likes on 4,310 Posts

Your clutch is not fully disengaging from the flywheel. That's usually a hydraulics issue with either the clutch master cylinder or the slave cylinder. The vibration going along with it though, is odd. You may have a mechanical failure in the clutch assembly itself like a worn throw out bearing that's allowing the clutch to covk instead of pull back straight, or a broken pressure plate finger but that usually makes the pedal feel weird or not return all the way.
The following users liked this post:
ekstroemtj (07-30-2024)
Old 08-03-2024, 01:27 PM
pnw_mike
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

Turns out it was a mechanical failure, I guess 156,000 miles isn't terrible for clutch life.

Quick Reply: 957 VR6 6MT sudden shifting issues, could use advice troubleshooting.