Sponsored by:

1st Oil Change

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2004, 10:06 PM
RAKLAW
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 1st Oil Change

Had a dealer oil and filter change today in my 04 TT.. Was invoiced for 10 qts. Mobil 1 0-40W. Manual says approx. 9 qts. with filter change. Anyone else had a 10 qt. change??
Old 06-24-2004, 12:37 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

2 oil/filter changes at the dealer so far, both were 9 qts M1 0W-40.
Old 06-24-2004, 01:20 AM
cayenneman
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How many miles before I should get my 1st change?
Old 06-24-2004, 03:56 AM
Doug Hillary
Burning Brakes

Hi,
due to the formulation of the factory fill synthetic oil you are best to wait until the first OC nominated in your handbook

Another issue is to ensure that you engine is not "babied" when bedding it in. Follow Porsche's advice and ensure that the engine is "worked" sensibly - avid excessive idling and revs and lugging (trailer use/hard pulling) for extensive periods that causes engine heat to rise abnormally.

During its life the 928 engine family suffered from this ("soft" running in )and it is still an issue when you combine very hard ring packs and the cylinder construction used in these engines

Factory fill synthetic oils are not (always) the same as you can buy retail or that may be supplied by your dealer

For more on lubricants look here;

http://www.landsharkoz.com/techtips.htm

Check under "Lubricants for the 928"

Regards
Old 06-24-2004, 10:34 AM
Vino
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The question is if the Cayenne uses a 0-40w synthetic oil as factory fill and you are down a quart at 2000 miles, what do you use?

I dought the dealer has the special 0-40 break-in oil and I don't plan on mixing another oil weight in dino oil if I need to add another quart of some special oil.

I am going to the dealer today and ask about the special synthetic break-in oil. Our car has about 2300 miles on it and I am holding my breath for 10K miles for the first oil change which I am not too crazy about on a Turbo car.
Old 06-24-2004, 10:13 PM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 965 Likes on 589 Posts

Assuming they unload my S from the boat and it comes soon (note sarcasm) I don't plan on waiting till 10K for the first oil change. Luckily it's the same weight as the Mobil One 0-40 I just changed in my MY04 GT3 after 2800 miles. I have a feeling it won't be as easy as it was in the 911. I plan on changing it on the pepper after 2-3K miles for my piece of mind...

Last edited by skl; 06-25-2004 at 12:45 AM.
Old 06-24-2004, 11:39 PM
Torags
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by Vino
The question is if the Cayenne uses a 0-40w synthetic oil as factory fill and you are down a quart at 2000 miles, what do you use?

I dought the dealer has the special 0-40 break-in oil and I don't plan on
Use the euro 0-40 Mob1. I read where the mobil/Castrol suit against the Fed who governs synthetic definition, sided with Castrol whose syn is a atom manipulated dino oil & cheaper to produce.

The article said Mobil was going to use the dino syn in the US, because of cost savings.

"Assuming they unload my S from the boat and it comes soon (note sarcasm) I don't plan on waiting till 10K for the first oil change. Luckily it's the same weight as the Mobil One 0-40 "

I would reconsider. While the breakin syn is the same weight, it is not the same formula. My guess is the additives are different. That breakin oil should get like black tar (aluminum). Then there is silica that the oil has to handle.

Its tricky stuff & layman should listen to the engineers who brought you the RMS.

Old 06-28-2004, 03:06 PM
johndjmix
AutoX

All this talk makes me remember somthing. Some web site did a test with 2 brank new engines, on stands connected to DYNO's. One was laded with mobil one syn and the other with some cheap oil. Both were subbmitted to the same dyno runs for a month.

After the month they were disassembled and examined. The wear on the motors was nearly identical!!! In fact they said the synthetic motor had slightly more wear (but they were close enough that they called it even).

But...what will i put in my 04 TT? Synthetic. LOL.

--John
Old 06-28-2004, 08:38 PM
Doug Hillary
Burning Brakes

John,
I would be suspicious of unregulated tests.

Read my earlier reference to Landsharkoz site, it may assist in understanding the world of Tribology
Synthetics always work best in complex engines and at the extremes of temperature. They are best too when compression pressures are high and generally maintain viscosity better and at controlling deposits

There is no conclusive evidence that a conforming synthetic engine oil will make an engine last longer than a conforming mineral oil - ALL THINGS BEING EQUAL

I have just torn down a 500hp 12.7ltr Detroit Diesel at 1m kms in one of my OTR vehicles. It needed no new parts - pistons, liners and bearings were "as new". It was on Mobil's Delvac 1 5w-40 synthetic oil.

Use only a factory recommended and conforming synthetic lubricant - they know your engine best!

Regards
Old 06-28-2004, 09:55 PM
allen_skillicorn
Instructor

With my background in manufacturing, I'd be skeptical about different formulas. Change or don't change early, I'd guess the engine will see the other side of 100k miles without problems.
Old 06-29-2004, 01:36 AM
Torags
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by peallens
With my background in manufacturing, I'd be skeptical about different formulas. Change or don't change early, I'd guess the engine will see the other side of 100k miles without problems.
Yes but early changes result in blow by, poor gas mileage and lower compression affecting performance.

Ring seating is managed wear for better performance.
Old 06-30-2004, 04:04 AM
Doug Hillary
Burning Brakes

Hi,
yes Torags you are indeed correct.
As of course the Engineers at MB, Porsche, Castrol, Mobil, FUCHS and etc. have known for many many years, and as I have too since the 1950s!

Regards
Old 06-30-2004, 04:24 AM
docjackson1
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

doug and torags-you are both correct. if the rings don't seat properly, the resultant blowby will screw your car up for it's life. just follow what the book says for oil changes.
Old 06-30-2004, 08:18 PM
Torags
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by Doug Hillary
Hi,
yes Torags you are indeed correct.
As of course the Engineers at MB, Porsche, Castrol, Mobil, FUCHS and etc. have known for many many years, and as I have too since the 1950s!

Regards
Indeed you old dog. The 50's ?; me too.....
Old 07-01-2004, 05:48 AM
Doug Hillary
Burning Brakes

Hi,
Torags - still barking too, my parents thought 1939 was a good year!

I retire in about a month - all my working life spent with cars and heavy trucks - from design to production, testing, management, training and commercial use (trucks).
What a ride! And what technological leap-frogging on the way too

Thanks to BMC, MB, VW, Chevron-Caltex and a few others. And I suppose to myself as well for running my own Consultancy business for the past nearly 17 years

First pre-production test vehicle? An export specification 1959 Morris MINI 850. The second, a MK2 MG Midget! Even the MINI's oil was a prototype - Duckhams 20w-50 the first wide spread multigrade oil!!

Sadly but as history shows, some people think of oils in a "religous" way. Mostly you get exactly what you pay for

Oh - the K75s was a truely great bike and trouble free by all accounts. I purchased the last R100RS (MY92) imported into OZ. I became a bit "fragile" about dodging Kangaroos during fast early morning rides and sold it about three years ago - and still miss it too

Kind Regards

Quick Reply: 1st Oil Change