Sponsored by:

Need help choosing first cayenne

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2024, 12:40 AM
bbqlord
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need help choosing first cayenne

Im considering buying a cayenne soon. i did some research and i narrowed it down quite a bit. i want a 957. im too poor to buy a gts or maintain a turbo. so im hesitating between the 3.6 and 4.8. but the cylinder scoring horror stories of the 4.8 is scaring me but i want the HP. Does the cylinder scoring applies to the 4.8 too or was mainly a 4.5 problem? and since bad lubrication would worsen the problem, is buying a very low miles exemple a bad idea? since it could lack lubrication and oil pressure if it sat for a long time between each use? anything else i should watch for like known problems or rare/nice specs? and for the people who have the 3.6, do you think it lacks power?
Old 04-25-2024, 02:07 AM
BobcatBrian
Racer

Received 108 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by bbqlord
Im considering buying a cayenne soon. i did some research and i narrowed it down quite a bit. i want a 957. im too poor to buy a gts or maintain a turbo. so im hesitating between the 3.6 and 4.8. but the cylinder scoring horror stories of the 4.8 is scaring me but i want the HP. Does the cylinder scoring applies to the 4.8 too or was mainly a 4.5 problem? and since bad lubrication would worsen the problem, is buying a very low miles exemple a bad idea? since it could lack lubrication and oil pressure if it sat for a long time between each use? anything else i should watch for like known problems or rare/nice specs? and for the people who have the 3.6, do you think it lacks power?
If you look for a 2009, or even better, a 2010 V8, then you’ll be fine. Those should not have bore scoring issues.

However, your statement of being too poor makes me question your ability to afford the platform (no offense intended). Are you doing all the maintenance and repairs yourself or would you use a mechanic? If you aren’t fixing it yourself, any Cayenne out of warranty is a bad idea. Also, the turbo models aren’t any less reliable than the non-turbo ones.
The following 2 users liked this post by BobcatBrian:
SuperG$ (04-26-2024), theworkerbee (04-25-2024)
Old 04-25-2024, 07:10 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,771 Likes on 4,310 Posts

Originally Posted by BobcatBrian
Also, the turbo models aren’t any less reliable than the non-turbo ones.
....and a hell of a lot more fun.

I wouldn't worry too much about one with low mileage that sits. I bought my 09 in 2016 with 28k miles on it and now it has 52k it's sat for 8 months between uses before and it's flawless mechanically. Every tank gets fuel stabilizer since I never know how long it will be before I use a full tank, and it stays on a battery tender.
Old 04-25-2024, 08:20 AM
bbqlord
Track Day

If you look for a 2009, or even better, a 2010 V8, then you’ll be fine. Those should not have bore scoring issues.

However, your statement of being too poor makes me question your ability to afford the platform (no offense intended). Are you doing all the maintenance and repairs yourself or would you use a mechanic? If you aren’t fixing it yourself, any Cayenne out of warranty is a bad idea. Also, the turbo models aren’t any less reliable than the non-turbo ones.
Thanks for the info. and, im kidding about being poor. im not rich by any means, but im a car guy. I already own a b8 s4 audi and a b8 a4 avant. i want something to go offroading/camping with. im looking at the v8s because the v6 seems really underpowered. and the turbo is stressing me out like any other TT engine. theres a lot more to go wrong on a TT car since it has more parts to begin with. no? do people have to replace the turbos sometimes? because i dont want to have to pay for that lol. even if they are reliable, they are probably still more expensive to maintain than the regular 4.8?
Old 04-25-2024, 10:19 AM
BobcatBrian
Racer

Thanks for the info. and, im kidding about being poor. im not rich by any means, but im a car guy. I already own a b8 s4 audi and a b8 a4 avant. i want something to go offroading/camping with. im looking at the v8s because the v6 seems really underpowered. and the turbo is stressing me out like any other TT engine. theres a lot more to go wrong on a TT car since it has more parts to begin with. no? do people have to replace the turbos sometimes? because i dont want to have to pay for that lol. even if they are reliable, they are probably still more expensive to maintain than the regular 4.8?
It's all about the depreciation curve to me. The turbo models are just so much more car for the money vs a base or S. And no, there really isn't anything on a turbo that fails often that also doesn't fail on an S or GTS. The turbochargers, intercoolers, and piping should last the life of the car. You may need to replace the diverter valves at some point, but those are cheap and a pretty easy DIY. The only reason I wouldn't get a turbo is if you're going to trash it offroad. If you're just going to overland and camp, throw some decent trail tires on it and enjoy!
Old 04-25-2024, 10:48 AM
bbqlord
Track Day

It's all about the depreciation curve to me. The turbo models are just so much more car for the money vs a base or S. And no, there really isn't anything on a turbo that fails often that also doesn't fail on an S or GTS. The turbochargers, intercoolers, and piping should last the life of the car. You may need to replace the diverter valves at some point, but those are cheap and a pretty easy DIY. The only reason I wouldn't get a turbo is if you're going to trash it offroad. If you're just going to overland and camp, throw some decent trail tires on it and enjoy!
good to know. and what do you mean when you say the life on the vehicle. 150k miles? 250k miles? i know it depends on a lot of factor but what is considered high mileage in a cayenne s or a turbo?
Old 04-25-2024, 11:17 AM
BobcatBrian
Racer

good to know. and what do you mean when you say the life on the vehicle. 150k miles? 250k miles? i know it depends on a lot of factor but what is considered high mileage in a cayenne s or a turbo?
I know of at least one turbo with over 600k miles on the original engine. I would not worry about the turbochargers. On a 957 V8, I'd be more worried about the HPFP (as it's $$$). Find a car that someone else has dumped a bunch of money into and go from there. You don't need a low mileage car, but try to get one that's sorted, has records, and preferably has been with the same owner for a while.
Old 04-25-2024, 12:21 PM
FrenchieDadRS
Instructor

Received 89 Likes on 59 Posts

I know of at least one turbo with over 600k miles on the original engine. I would not worry about the turbochargers. On a 957 V8, I'd be more worried about the HPFP (as it's $$$). Find a car that someone else has dumped a bunch of money into and go from there. You don't need a low mileage car, but try to get one that's sorted, has records, and preferably has been with the same owner for a while.
That is some serious miles! I would love to see a picture.

957 is pretty robust once the known problems are sorted -- and they are perm fixes.

OP find that unicorn - 957 Turbo S with PCCB!

IMO - the 957 is proper rally car -- the 959 with rear seats.

Last edited by FrenchieDadRS; 04-25-2024 at 12:23 PM.
Old 04-25-2024, 12:25 PM
bbqlord
Track Day

Originally Posted by FrenchieDadRS
That is some serious miles! I would love to see a picture.

957 is pretty robust once the known problems are sorted -- and they are perm fixes.

OP find that unicorn - 957 Turbo S with PCCB!

IMO - the 957 is proper rally car -- the 959 with rear seats.
whats pccb?
Old 04-25-2024, 11:18 PM
Malibu955
Pro

Received 150 Likes on 119 Posts

whats pccb?
Porsche Carbon Ceramic Brakes

Look up the price of replacements before you consider that as a must-have option.
Old 04-25-2024, 11:33 PM
bbqlord
Track Day

Originally Posted by Malibu955

Look up the price of replacements before you consider that as a must-have option.
i dont want pccb. thats one thing im defintely too poor to maintain/replace.
Old 04-25-2024, 11:33 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,771 Likes on 4,310 Posts

Originally Posted by Malibu955

They don't have to be replaced anymore. There are companies that will rebond a new friction layer onto the ceramic cores for reasonable money. There's a whole Facebook group for carbon ceramic brakes.
The following users liked this post:
Malibu955 (04-25-2024)
Old 04-25-2024, 11:35 PM
bbqlord
Track Day

Originally Posted by Petza914
They don't have to be replaced anymore. There are companies that will rebond a new friction layer onto the ceramic cores for reasonable money. There's a whole Facebook group for carbon ceramic brakes.
just having a v8 or TT cayenne will be enough for me to start with no need to add carbon brakes in the mix haha and i dont think id see the benefit with what i want to do with it.
Old 04-26-2024, 12:15 AM
Libast
Three Wheelin'

Received 222 Likes on 176 Posts

I have 235,000 on my 09 Turbo S. As far as I know turbos are fine lol
The following users liked this post:
BobcatBrian (04-26-2024)

Quick Reply: Need help choosing first cayenne