Sponsored by:

Replaced Instrument Cluster LCD - Some Info

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2024, 09:04 PM
AeroStress
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Replaced Instrument Cluster LCD - Some Info

This may be helpful to those with a failed/failing LCD screens. I also recently did it on my Cayman and had some similar issues.

In this case, my symptoms were sort of a dull/flickering LCD screen when the weather was hot..seemed OK when colder. For the Cayman, it was just totally messed up (note there is probably a difference in the root cause failure). Here is what I found.

- Case 1: Replaced LCD screen with screen from an instrument cluster on eBay (but kept original housing). Not helpful, problem persists.

- Case 2: Replaced instrument assembly with one from eBay. Screen works OK, but the odometer reading was incorrect and also it threw some codes from the durametric (and said to service it). BUT, this was really informative since it meant the screen was OK. And also it means my original screen was probably OK. So what gives? This thread talks about a bad transformer that causes the screen to have an issue. This seems to be a lot more work though (have to take the tedious gages out and stuff), but if it works, this would be the best option (short of a new cluster)...see case 3.
https://rennlist.com/forums/diy-caye...ng-repair.html

- Case 3: Keep original housing (with presumably the bad transformer), but used a Tanin 3rd party screen. The screen works even with a bad transformer?...which is quite interesting. Maybe it is somehow "bypassing" the bad transformer or correcting for it since maybe they anticipated this as the root cause? Here is the bad..this screen kinda sucks compared to the OEM. Its overly bright, but you can also kinda see through it in some conditions (and see the little prongs on the backlight behind it). Its not very tolerant to viewing angle. Also, with sunglasses (maybe they are polarized)...its totally blank until you turn your head. Its also not very uniform in brightness on the panel and can have weird artifacts depending on brightness. BUT it did work when the other options (short of replacing the transformer) did not. Also, I just replaced the Cayman screen (direct from China supplier) and it has similar issues (maybe even worse). Fortunately, its quite easy to change the Cayenne screen once the cluster is out (not easy to swap the Cayman screen). The point is these 3rd party screens seem to be "meh" at best. Yes, they "work", but they are not good quality.

Anyway, I wanted to pass that info along since this may also clear up why one person says to replace a transformer but many have used the Tanin screen (both are right in their own way).

One more option...could get a used cluster and have it programmed. Just test it out first. I don't know of the cost and if there would be issues though, but worth considering.

Last edited by AeroStress; 04-05-2024 at 09:25 PM.
The following users liked this post:
ventoGT (04-06-2024)
Old 04-06-2024, 02:21 PM
Dr. 914
Premium Dealer
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 205 Likes on 148 Posts

thank you for the comments and experimentation, I just look at the screen when cold, and then forget it when it fades away when hot! LOL). I still have a good memory!
The following users liked this post:
v10rick (04-07-2024)
Old 04-06-2024, 03:36 PM
slavie
Burning Brakes

Received 161 Likes on 132 Posts

Upgrade to the Turbo cluster. It is pricey, requires programming and mileage adjustment, but the end result is SOOOOO much better than the 90's era dot-matrix display. Porsche should've never put that cheap VW screen in the non-turbo Cayennes.
Old 04-15-2024, 06:40 PM
DARIOcaptain
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by slavie
Upgrade to the Turbo cluster. It is pricey, requires programming and mileage adjustment, but the end result is SOOOOO much better than the 90's era dot-matrix display. Porsche should've never put that cheap VW screen in the non-turbo Cayennes.
Idk, for me the non-turbo gauge cluster has a nicer feeling, I prefer it's warm display look compared to the turbo cluster.

Quick Reply: Replaced Instrument Cluster LCD - Some Info