Sponsored by:

Anyone haul kayaks?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2023, 11:12 AM
jAndrewH
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Anyone haul kayaks?

Sold a vehicle I used to haul our kayaks and thinking about how to secure the bow.

Acouple options are obvious:

1. Use the tow eye to attach the bow tie down. The paint on my 08 is perfect, looks new, so I need to protect it as one of the boats is a bit shorter and the line will contct the paint. 3M clear paint film might work, but still, the tow eye is kinda ugly.

2. Use the hood loop straps. Appears I might be able to use attachments over the radiator to bolt them to. Again would need to use the clear film to protect the paint and wondering if the straps might be too thick for the hood to close well without damage.

3. Use a trailer. I have one I could add some load bars too. It is aluminum and pretty easy to move. I could also leave the boat on it between paddles. Seems like over kill though, and I already have a nice Thule setup on the p!g.

What meathod do you all use?
Old 02-28-2023, 09:07 PM
mac109
Rennlist Member

Received 71 Likes on 38 Posts

We use the Thule Hullavator roof rack and since most of our Kayaking has been local, I haven't used the tie downs yet....but I have these hood loops that should avoid the concern you have...

Hood Loops - https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...n6w9JjBqfUqRyc

The following users liked this post:
phatz (03-01-2023)
Old 03-01-2023, 07:54 AM
jAndrewH
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

That is nice. I've talked to a couple people that like it a lot. I have the older Thule that pulls out from the back with a roller on it.

I would still be concerned with the straps rubbing the paint as they are bound to move. I was also concerned with there not being enough space for the tube between the bonnet and engine liners. I will pick one up locally and try out.
The following users liked this post:
mac109 (03-06-2023)
Old 03-01-2023, 03:27 PM
phatz
Three Wheelin'

Received 181 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by jAndrewH
straps rubbing the paint as they are bound to move
Just put several inches of PPF in that spot and test drive around town for a few days

Quick Reply: Anyone haul kayaks?