Oil found in intake manifold 4.8 non turbo

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2023, 04:55 AM
Ferg999
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil found in intake manifold 4.8 non turbo

Hi,

Wonderful clever chaps of the internet I need some advice again.

Replaced the starter motor on my 4.8 CAYENNE s 2008.
When removing the intake manifold I found a rather alarming amount of oil in my intake manifold.
I did also notice the electrical connection wires to the plug at the back of the manifold have been severed aswell.

Two questions.

How worried should I be about the oil?

What is this connection at the back I think I repaired.it?

Drained the oil out of the manifold and cleaned as much as I could.

Car seems to run fine I think, was worried about potential bore score issues but after a better listen I'm pretty sure it hasn't got any knock.

Will scope the car soon when doing full service.
Plugs/oil & filter / air filter.

Anything else I should be doing ? No service history (will MD have this stored if any) 80k miles in the UK.

Kind Regards
Old 02-12-2023, 01:44 PM
Libast
Three Wheelin'

Received 222 Likes on 176 Posts

These 2007+ engines love to breathe oily air. I don't remember where the N/A air oil separator drains into, but I would start there on the driver side intake pipes and see if they have some oil collected.

Then look at your air oil seperator and see if its still good.
The following users liked this post:
BrianC72gt (02-14-2023)
Old 02-14-2023, 06:12 PM
BrianC72gt
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

I don't know if the PCV system on the 958 is serviceable like it is in the 955. It may be called air/oil separator in Porsche-speak as Libast mentions, but the failure of that system causes the intake to suck oil mist from the heads any time there is a strong vacuum in the intake manifold. In the 955 the fix is tor replace the PCV rubber diaphragm for about $20, and the smaller backflow preventing check valves if it is a turbo engine (you don't want turbo pressure in the intake manifold pressurizing the lower end through the PCV system.) I don't know if the system is serviceable in the 958, but last I read it wasn't and the solution is to replace the cam cover assembly into which it is incorporated. Not cheap, but cheaper than replacing oil-fouled catalytic converters, so there's that.

Good luck,

Brian C.

Quick Reply: Oil found in intake manifold 4.8 non turbo