Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is the best year and model to make a safari offroader?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2022, 09:25 PM
notthd
Rennlist Member

Received 308 Likes on 170 Posts
Default What is the best year and model to make a safari offroader?

Hey all,
Ive been a long time lister with many models and owned a 2004 V6 when they first came out and was an awesome car. Sold in 2015 with 160K miles on it and never had the heads off. Maybe Im lucky or just a tinkerer. I live in AZ and VA, offroad in the desert, highland woods and snow in the mountains. The Cayenne is so very capable off road I am considering selling my Wrangler and build a cool offroad Porsche. It has so many options and unlike my jeep is comfortable on the highways and offroad. What are your thoughts on which model you all think would be what I should be looking for. I am not afraid of high miles. I build motors and do all myown maintenance. Open for thoughts, opionons and comic snide remarks.

Rennlist had an article on the topic which got me thinking. Looking at something like this.

Cheers, Mike

Last edited by notthd; 11-20-2022 at 09:31 PM.
The following users liked this post:
uphoto (11-22-2022)
Old 11-21-2022, 11:55 AM
phatz
Three Wheelin'

Received 181 Likes on 139 Posts

Find Sean Murtha in Maricopa
Old 11-21-2022, 04:32 PM
957austin
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Really any model will work, with the caveat that the more expensive models will require more money in maintenance and have more stuff to break. I think that the 957 V6 is a sweet spot for doing an off-road build mainly because the VW power plant is just simpler than the V8s and cheaper to maintain while still providing enough power. The V6 in the 955 is similar with regard to maintenance but pretty underpowered and thus I would skip it. You can absolutely build an S or a Turbo model, but you trade cheaper maintenance and a few less things to go wrong for more power. It's a decision only you can make because there's no wrong answer, only options. That said, if this was a life or death situation crossing the Sahara I would opt for a 957 V6 with coil springs. Otherwise anything is fine. Most Turbo and GTS models have aero skirts which will decrease ground clearance a bit, but those are removable. The only option I would actively avoid would be the panoramic roof. I would be worried about cracking it.
Mud&Dirt (11-21-2022)
Old 11-21-2022, 07:47 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 624 Likes on 479 Posts

Search, there's lots of good info in both Gen 1 and Gen 2 forums:

https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...some-help.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...ng-setups.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...ffroading.html
Old 11-21-2022, 09:24 PM
notthd
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by phatz
Find Sean Murtha in Maricopa
Yep, looks like my kind of dude LOL , Thanks I see if Ill can reach out. Is he a lister?

Cheers, Mike

Last edited by notthd; 11-21-2022 at 09:26 PM.
Old 11-21-2022, 10:56 PM
notthd
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 957austin
Really any model will work, with the caveat that the more expensive models will require more money in maintenance and have more stuff to break. I think that the 957 V6 is a sweet spot for doing an off-road build mainly because the VW power plant is just simpler than the V8s and cheaper to maintain while still providing enough power. The V6 in the 955 is similar with regard to maintenance but pretty underpowered and thus I would skip it. You can absolutely build an S or a Turbo model, but you trade cheaper maintenance and a few less things to go wrong for more power. It's a decision only you can make because there's no wrong answer, only options. That said, if this was a life or death situation crossing the Sahara I would opt for a 957 V6 with coil springs. Otherwise anything is fine. Most Turbo and GTS models have aero skirts which will decrease ground clearance a bit, but those are removable. The only option I would actively avoid would be the panoramic roof. I would be worried about cracking it.
Good points, especially teh panoramic roof. I totally agree and any body flex may pop it. Good catch. Did not realize the 955 and 957 motors were that different so some reasearch on my part is in order. Not sure if anyone has lifted an air bag vs coil over conversion. May pull the bags and mod no mater what model. More to come.

Cheers, Mike
Old 11-21-2022, 10:56 PM
notthd
Rennlist Member

Thank you, will read up - Mike
Old 11-21-2022, 11:19 PM
Van Krisztian
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Smile

I just built one. 2003 Turbo. Learned ALOT about the Cayenne in the last 10 months. For the Safari build, Turbos have their drawbacks and few advantages, mainly being the power. 450HP feels great on 32 inch tires... But you have less wheel well to work with unless you start cutting, a lot. Or you can use smaller tires, but I wanted more rubber.
My motor mounts are gone and the only way to replace them is to drop the engine. Not easy nor cheap. The S is doable without the engine coming out, which is huge savings in labor. Did I say that the power of the turbo is great?

Last edited by Van Krisztian; 11-21-2022 at 11:20 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Van Krisztian:
notthd (11-22-2022), Ob917 (11-22-2022)
Old 11-22-2022, 12:04 AM
Mud&Dirt
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by notthd
something like this
Nice, do you have any more pics of your inspo?
Old 11-22-2022, 11:27 AM
phatz
Three Wheelin'

Received 181 Likes on 139 Posts

Yep, looks like my kind of dude LOL , Thanks I see if Ill can reach out. Is he a lister?

Cheers, Mike
Unlikely ...owns a shop there
Old 11-22-2022, 09:43 PM
Rvca3112
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 87 Posts

I have the v8 and I think it’s more than enough for a safari build. But like stated above, the v6 I think is the sweet spot. It’s not going to sound as good as the v8 but the overall reliability with them is pretty good.

so at minimum the standard cayenne and at maximum the S. The gts could be acceptable as well but the lower body bits that you’re going to get banged up or cut doesn’t justify it to me. The turbo is if you have the financial means to go about doing off road stuff and don’t care with big money repair bills.

Van Krisztian (11-24-2022)
Old 11-22-2022, 11:08 PM
notthd
Rennlist Member

Cheers, Mike
Too funny is I just realized it's SEan from Murthamotorsports. He just installed my CSF alum radiators in my 997TT after a cone slaying event.. Small world for sure.
Cheers, Mike
Old 11-22-2022, 11:15 PM
notthd
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rvca3112
I have the v8 and I think it’s more than enough for a safari build. But like stated above, the v6 I think is the sweet spot. It’s not going to sound as good as the v8 but the overall reliability with them is pretty good.

so at minimum the standard cayenne and at maximum the S. The gts could be acceptable as well but the lower body bits that you’re going to get banged up or cut doesn’t justify it to me. The turbo is if you have the financial means to go about doing off road stuff and don’t care with big money repair bills.
All good points and seems to be the theme with all I have spoken too. Like the tire rack, Who makes it?
Cheers, Mike
Old 11-22-2022, 11:18 PM
notthd
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mud&Dirt
Nice, do you have any more pics of your inspo?
Yep, Here you go Cheers, Mike

Car is in Spain, Its a 2009 S
Old 11-22-2022, 11:22 PM
notthd
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Van Krisztian
I just built one. 2003 Turbo. Learned ALOT about the Cayenne in the last 10 months. For the Safari build, Turbos have their drawbacks and few advantages, mainly being the power. 450HP feels great on 32 inch tires... But you have less wheel well to work with unless you start cutting, a lot. Or you can use smaller tires, but I wanted more rubber.
My motor mounts are gone and the only way to replace them is to drop the engine. Not easy nor cheap. The S is doable without the engine coming out, which is huge savings in labor. Did I say that the power of the turbo is great?

Love the look. Very cool. What size rims did you use? I've been told 18" at a minimum so tire size larger than 32s like you mentioned will be a challange. Did you lift your car or go coil overs or is the clearance just tires?

Quick Reply: What is the best year and model to make a safari offroader?