Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New 955 owner! Few clarifying questions...

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2022, 02:20 PM
Agent14
Track Day

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default New 955 owner! Few clarifying questions...

Hey team! Excited to finally have a good reason to post in this sub forum. Been poking around for a while through my process of finding one, and got lucky quickly in my hunting. got it for a song and shes nice and tight. Ive done tons of reading on all the common issues and quirks, and would like to jump on a few things right away while I sort out a few less critical issues long term. Im quite well versed with a wrench and this is not my first P-Car, but my last one (944) was 15 years ago and it feels great to be back. Anyway, ive have found some info on these things but maybe my head is so jumbled btw the slight 955/957 differences that things are starting to leak out my ears. Hopefully quick questions.

1. I accidentally pulled the trim piece off my tailgate yesterday only the discover all the little blue clips were previously broken. (See pic below. I dropped it too, but luckily there was next to no damage. yikes). Luckily the two side clips (part of the trim) are intact and holding, but I obviously would like to replace those clips. So, are these the right clips from pelican? It seems there are different trim clips for interior and exterior, so I wanted to be sure. Also, are there any less expensive sources rather than $2.25 per clip?!

Pelican Trim Clips

2. Im about to tackle pads and rotors up front this weekend. Few extra steps than the typical systems (mostly with the brake line clips up the strut) which is no problem, but I want to make sure I have the tools. Wont exactly be easy to run out to the shop with no wheels on. To my knowledge, this is whats needed:

a. T50 Torx for Rotor
b. T47 Torx for strut mounted hardware.
c. 16mm for caliper bolts (new caliper hardware optional, but suggested)
d. 13mm pad retention pin.
e. I read somewhere that someone needed a 15mm zxn, but maybe that was the 957? Im all turned around.

3. Is there a hidden gem of a place to find replacement seat bottoms? My grey leather is a little sun cracked on the passenger side and id love to get them both sorted before it gets worse.

Thanks in advance for the help team. Here is the new ride!

Trim piece!

Last edited by Agent14; 10-06-2022 at 03:01 PM.
The following users liked this post:
lkraav (10-07-2022)
Old 10-07-2022, 08:35 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,771 Likes on 4,310 Posts

eBay usually has Cayenne parts, especially seats. You can also try LA Dismantler and DC Automotive and Facebook marketplace.
Old 10-07-2022, 01:34 PM
Agent14
Track Day

Originally Posted by Petza914
eBay usually has Cayenne parts, especially seats. You can also try LA Dismantler and DC Automotive and Facebook marketplace.
Excellent, thanks for those. AutoBahn Dismantler is here in SD (El Cajon, really) and theyre also great (I get BMW parts there too), but I dont think they keep seats. LA isnt too far at all.

And I found the actual name of those clips I need. Theyre specifically to the tailgate trim. Called the Liftgate Trim Clip. Little better then Pelican, here.

Liftgate Trim Clips (Blue)
Old 10-08-2022, 10:23 AM
19psi
Burning Brakes

Received 161 Likes on 111 Posts

My '04 S used standard Torx up front.
The rears required a Triple Square (XZN) bit socket (I think a 15mm?). Absolutely no one in my area sells them, and most have never heard of them. In a pinch, Advance Auto has a set of smaller mm bits (not sockets) that are good for things like replacing your battery.

Triple Squares are used all over the Cayenne, so you'll want a whole set.
I bought these from Amazon and had them the next day.
Amazon Amazon
Surprisingly good quality for the price. I had to use my large air impact with one to remove the rear rotors and was expecting it to explode...socket still looked brand new when I was done!
Old 10-09-2022, 01:47 PM
Agent14
Track Day

Originally Posted by 19psi
My '04 S used standard Torx up front.
The rears required a Triple Square (XZN) bit socket (I think a 15mm?). Absolutely no one in my area sells them, and most have never heard of them. In a pinch, Advance Auto has a set of smaller mm bits (not sockets) that are good for things like replacing your battery.

Triple Squares are used all over the Cayenne, so you'll want a whole set.
I bought these from Amazon and had them the next day.
https://www.amazon.com/Triple-Square...dp/B07GTSGGXJ/
Surprisingly good quality for the price. I had to use my large air impact with one to remove the rear rotors and was expecting it to explode...socket still looked brand new when I was done!

thanks much! I tackled the job yesterday and had all the right tools, but ran into a snag with the LAST caliper bolt cross threading in the steering knuckle. Great.

Gonna make another post about this.

But you are correct. For the front, you need a T30 and T40 for the brake line assembly, a T50 for the rotor, a 21mm for the caliper bolts, and a 13mm for the pad retaining pin. I dont know how the pelican parts DIY guide says 16mm for the caliper bolts, because that just not true on mine. 200lb tq from factory on a 16mm bolt seems a little sketch to me.

Just job went fine until the last caliper bolt. Other thread will be started about this.

Last edited by Agent14; 10-09-2022 at 02:41 PM. Reason: Added some info.

Quick Reply: New 955 owner! Few clarifying questions...