Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No compression on cylinder 3, what to do next?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2022, 06:47 AM
alex532
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Default No compression on cylinder 3, what to do next?

Hi, my 955 Turbo with E81 package and ~135k miles lost a cylinder last week (no bore scoring). My timing was also previously noted by the dealer to be 28 degrees advanced which suggests I’ll need to replace a stretched timing chain soon anyway.

The body is generally in decent shape and so is interior except the headliner is starting to fall and my stereo doesn’t work when it’s cold outside.

I wanted to get the forum’s opinion on what I should do with the cayenne? I have never worked on cylinders or valves (unclear yet where my problem is) however I’m not afraid to if I could find parts. I have previously removed the front carrier to replace motor mounts so removing the engine would only be a few more steps. In the last two years I replaced the motor mounts, subframe bushings, alternator, ac compressor, power steering pump, water pump, and oil cooler. I had the dealer replace the computer and the air/oil separator (entire new valve cover).

maybe removing engine and sending sending it to someone for repair?
or parting out the entire vehicle?
Or finding a decent engine to put in it?

Thanks for your input.

The following users liked this post:
lkraav (10-05-2022)
Old 10-04-2022, 10:39 AM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 129 Posts

First check to see if you have a broken valve spring. Do a leakdown test, what are the results? Where is the air pressure going? Into the crankcase, out the exhaust, or back out the intake?
Old 10-04-2022, 11:55 AM
alex532
Rennlist Member

That’s a good point, before I can start work on the engine, I would need to know where the issue is. The dealer indicated that they borescoped the engine and did not visually see damage to the cylinder wall or cylinders but they struggled to see the valves because of coking build up. So I made the assumption that it was a valve. Either way still debated whether parting out the whole vehicle or trying to repair a valve was appropriate.
Old 10-04-2022, 12:51 PM
theprf
Race Car

Received 1,900 Likes on 1,210 Posts

I would bet you have a burned exhaust valve which seems to happen a lot on the E81/E8A version. It's been suggested that the EGT's are too high and the valves can't handle the heat. Worn valve guides could also be an issue with valve seating.

I am working on the same issue with my E8A 955. I decided to do an engine change to a used engine while I evaluate what to do with the original engine. I can't have the car sitting around for six months with no engine over the winter.

This thread:
https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...t-project.html
has a lot of info about what might need to be done.

PS. How on earth did you change the motor mounts on a Turbo 995 without removing the turbos? I cannot figure out how to access the bolt on the engine.
Old 10-04-2022, 09:56 PM
alex532
Rennlist Member

Wow, that’s an impressive write up.
I used a couple extensions and swivel joints to get the motor mount bolts. I actually posted it here but for some reason I can’t find the post any more, like it was deleted. Strangely you posted a picture of my setup in your thread where you asked where to find the hook and eyelet for the engine to connect to the engine support. So clearly my post existed at some point.

My original plan in 2020 was to take the engine out to replace the motor mounts but as I got closer to removing the engine I got access to the bolts and decided not to remove the engine.

I’ll read your thread in more detail to decide if I want to take that on but I imagine you’re right about it being an exhaust valve.

The following users liked this post:
lkraav (10-05-2022)
Old 10-05-2022, 09:32 AM
theprf
Race Car

I did not write the thread I linked, I am just following parts of it.
Old 10-05-2022, 09:52 AM
alex532
Rennlist Member

Sorry, I completely missed that. Thanks for sharing the link.
Old 10-05-2022, 10:22 AM
theprf
Race Car

Originally Posted by alex532
I used a couple extensions and swivel joints to get the motor mount bolts. I actually posted it here but for some reason I can’t find the post any more, like it was deleted.
I searched all your posts and can't find any mention of the motor mounts. You are sure that you reached the top bolt, under the turbo, without removing the turbo? I'll have to try again in that case, it did not look possible.
Old 10-05-2022, 01:26 PM
alex532
Rennlist Member

Yes, I remember the passenger side one being easier but I had the alternator removed. The driver’s side one was tricky. I did have the subframe removed. I also had ac compressor and power steering pump removed on driver’s side. I found a couple pictures.

Last edited by alex532; 10-05-2022 at 01:34 PM.
Old 10-05-2022, 02:35 PM
theprf
Race Car

My engine is currently out of the car with the alternator, PS pump, and A/C compressor removed so I have easy access on both sides. I'll give that way a shot. Thanks!

I may need to get a flex head ratchet. I have never needed one in 35 years of wrenching - this could be a first.

Last edited by theprf; 10-05-2022 at 02:37 PM.

Quick Reply: No compression on cylinder 3, what to do next?