The following 2 users liked this post by phatz:
19psi (08-23-2022), slavie (08-23-2022)
Old 08-23-2022, 11:11 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,772 Likes on 4,310 Posts

Originally Posted by Magdaddy
Anything from Deltran, not cheap but the best IMHO. Anything with a motor and a battery on the property that isn’t driven/used daily, has one. It’ll greatly extend battery health, and life…that has been my personal experience anyway. YMMV
Agree. Deltran makes the Battery Tender brand products.
The following users liked this post:
Magdaddy (08-23-2022)
Old 08-24-2022, 12:29 AM
Malibu955
Pro

Received 150 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyFDJ
Thanks for the suggestion. Are there are downsides to disconnecting our Cayenne batteries? Things like needing to reprogram the remote, etc.
None that I have seen. I mostly lived in Europe from 2018 - 2021 and the Cayenne would sit for months at a time in the US with the battery disconnected, and for over a year in the case of 2020 and Covid travel restrictions. No problems whatsoever except for resetting the "Comfort" settings. I would suggest a fuel stabilizer if you're going to leave it for four months. I used STA-BIL.
JohnnyFDJ (08-24-2022)
Old 08-24-2022, 01:29 AM
Mongler04
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

i would say i'm very well versed in the ways of batteries and how to maintain them and how they are charged by these cars and many others. Your statement that it takes 20 minutes or whatever to charge a battery from one start up is completely old school wrong. Your post had no factual data, only old myths and old man ignorance to the workings of a multi meter and oscilloscope.
I made no claims to being an expert but i can all BS to bad info when i see it.
Old 08-24-2022, 01:33 AM
Mongler04
Instructor

Originally Posted by Petza914
Agree. Deltran makes the Battery Tender brand products.
Deltran happens to be one of the worst on the market with whats even worse, many counterfeits nearly impossible to distinguish. they're not expensive and they're not solid state. they're cheap unreliable garbage that puts out a very bad irregular sin wave. this brand has killed the most batteries in my fleet out of them all.
When you spend about 5 grand on batteries for your sitting around stuff... you spend $$ on chargers and maintainers and dozens of hours of research and trial and error. its sad to day that i have killed about a grand in batteries from just a few weeks to only a years life using cheap chargers.
the cost to get a proper NOCO is not that much more for one or 2 chargers. Isn't this the Porsche group who want nothing but the best?!

Last edited by Mongler04; 08-24-2022 at 01:37 AM.
Old 08-24-2022, 01:46 AM
Mongler04
Instructor

Originally Posted by thesteve
Just for giggles, what does this mean? Solar cells are DC out. I call BS.
all normal acid liquid cell batteries all can handle whatever sin wave input you want to give them, however AGM's prefer the ramp of a curved sin wave.
Unless you have a very expensive modified pure sin wave transformer inverter, ALL wall outlet and alternator chargers have an AC current, the way we get 12 or 14 volts from the charger or alternator is by using capacitors and diodes and such to just give out the measured out voltage, its still in a sin wave format or in most cases (bad for AGM) step as its more commonly referred to. the Solar cell is giving a strait 12v output yes, BUT thats bad. it needs to be ramped and controlled, only Noco's and other high end charger/ maintainers have this ramp cycle. This solar setup just has an off and on switch of 13 to 14 volts. thats bad for maintaining but its better than nothing i suppose as it probably does very little actual useful charging. Maintaining the current flow vs the actual charge is important vs just charging a few amps and then discharging at night, and over and over.
Maybe i was not clear, im not very good at using words

Last edited by Mongler04; 08-24-2022 at 01:51 AM.
Old 08-24-2022, 01:54 AM
Mongler04
Instructor

Originally Posted by 19psi
I'd like to know what kind of scope he has that detects SIN waves. Both of my Agilents detect sine waves. lol
This coming from a DUDE who thinks an engine may be salvageable after finding piles of metal shavings in an oil filter. The same DUDE who thinks his Cayenne has 3 transfer cases.
LOL i did not say that, you said that.
i did not say that the engine was salvageable, i said it could be and that the metal could be from something NON piston/ sleeve/ related
Im Sorry, not everyone knows what an oscilloscope is, but if you do any work on cars seriously you have one. especially these cars and the timing chain job.
Old 08-24-2022, 02:20 AM
Malibu955
Pro

Received 150 Likes on 119 Posts

I see battery tender discussions are about the same as oil discussions. I'll throw my fuel into the fire. I use a CTEK 40-206 MXS 5.0 charger/maintainer for my cars. It does a great job on both the AGM batteries in the Cayenne and the Stelvio, and on the calcium battery in the Rangie. There are dedicated AGM and standard calcium/lead acid modes depending on what type of battery you are charging/maintaining.

Amazon Amazon

I will now wait to hear how much it sucks...
Old 08-24-2022, 07:53 AM
19psi
Burning Brakes

Received 161 Likes on 111 Posts

i would say i'm very well versed in the ways of batteries and how to maintain them and how they are charged by these cars and many others. Your statement that it takes 20 minutes or whatever to charge a battery from one start up is completely old school wrong. Your post had no factual data, only old myths and old man ignorance to the workings of a multi meter and oscilloscope.
I made no claims to being an expert but i can all BS to bad info when i see it.
And yet you said this:

Your battery is a AGM, it requires a SIN wave charge, the charger you have and most cheap stuff out there is a square SIN wave format.
Tell us more about this sine wave charge that a DC battery requires. I'm especially interested to know about the square sine wave format on a device with a DC output. What type of DC sine wave is produced by the more expensive battery chargers? What sine wave is produced by an alternator that converts AC to a DC output through a bridge rectifier?
Since DC has 0 frequency and is therefore a flatline, I'm looking forward to being enlightened by your vast knowledge of batteries and chargers.

Last edited by 19psi; 08-24-2022 at 08:00 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by 19psi:
Devil'sAdvocate (08-24-2022), Philip Tan (10-31-2022)
Old 08-24-2022, 10:30 AM
957austin
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

I too use a CTEK. I thought everyone did to be honest. Every forum I've ever been to has always recommended CTEK. The Porsche branded charger you buy at the dealer is a CTEK with a sticker on it.
charsiuboar (12-01-2022)
Old 08-24-2022, 12:05 PM
Mongler04
Instructor

And yet you said this:

Tell us more about this sin (FIXED THAT FOR YOU) wave charge that a DC battery requires. I'm especially interested to know about the square sin (FIXED THAT FOR YOU) wave format on a device with a DC output. What type of DC sin (FIXED THAT FOR YOU) wave is produced by the more expensive battery chargers? What sine wave is produced by an alternator that converts AC to a DC output through a bridge rectifier?
Since DC has 0 frequency and is therefore a flatline, I'm looking forward to being enlightened by your vast knowledge of batteries and chargers.
DC from a DC source is flat line... DC from any source that came from something spinning... alternator... generator.... think windmill or hydro dam or coal burning power plant..... Even though a, lol, full bridge rectifier has an AC pulse or SIN wave... not "sine" (the fact you can’t get that correct just shows the lack of knowledge you have.)
A Full bridge rectifier does not take out the sin wave; they just make a squiggly DC output that still has a wave format to it. Capacitors, regulators, and resistors do that to enough that we get a "flat line" output enough that we can say that the DC current is within a specific tolerance. It still has a wave to it and always will. The CHEAP chargers. All have a stepped voltage because they are cheap. This turning ON and OFF is bad for AGM's BUT the soft curves of the sin wave from quality chargers and ALL ALTERNATORS are actually helpful to AGM's and the AC output is very specific to helping maintain the charge of a quality car and its battery. Stepping voltages and ramps are especially helpful. If you think a strait volt from a charger is good for the battery then you’re in the dark ignorance of car mechanics.
LOL go take your multimeter and put it on your battery leads on any car with an alternator... not a generator.... and switch to AC... If you do not know how to diagnose using electrical tools then I’m not going to bother wasting time on such ignorance. You have no idea but I would be happy to explain if you were willing to learn.
I suggest you start with some common electrical tools and also search on what the difference is between a pure sin wave transformer inverter is vs just an inverter.
I highly suggest you go check out electrobooms channel on YouTube, its perfect for 101 "electricity for dummies" like yourself to get started.
I’m taking about the chargers and maintainers we all use, and those all have a sin pulse and thus the argument of making a $300 AGM last for more than a few years. Again go check out the AC output from your alternator, you will be surprised.

Last edited by Mongler04; 08-24-2022 at 12:19 PM.
Old 08-24-2022, 12:08 PM
Mongler04
Instructor

Originally Posted by 957austin
I too use a CTEK. I thought everyone did to be honest. Every forum I've ever been to has always recommended CTEK. The Porsche branded charger you buy at the dealer is a CTEK with a sticker on it.
I was going to go with those as there also a very nice high end unit but i already got into noco's and running 12 years now on them. seeing as there founded in 1914... i just stuck with them and never looked back as there a bit less in price than the Cteck at the time i purchased them. they do feel like the same part, might even be, im not a guru on that level of chargers LOL. i just know what worked and why the others did not.
Old 08-24-2022, 01:20 PM
phatz
Three Wheelin'

Received 181 Likes on 139 Posts

And I was walking down the street one day

A pretty lady looked at me and said

Her Cayenne had stopped cold dead

And I said

Check the foot wells for moisture

She said

I don't have time to look around

And I said

Replace the battery

And I was walking down the street one day being pushed and shoved

By people trying to beat the frequency of the signal

We've all got time enough to ponder why

Does anybody really know if DC truly exists in a flat line

If so I can't imagine how

Everybody's worryin'

I can't see past the next wave step

I don't know, I don't know-ow

Last edited by phatz; 08-24-2022 at 01:21 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by phatz:
19psi (08-24-2022), charsiuboar (12-01-2022)
Old 08-24-2022, 03:10 PM
oldskewel
Burning Brakes

Received 139 Likes on 112 Posts

And yet you said this:

Tell us more about this sine wave charge that a DC battery requires. I'm especially interested to know about the square sine wave format on a device with a DC output. What type of DC sine wave is produced by the more expensive battery chargers? What sine wave is produced by an alternator that converts AC to a DC output through a bridge rectifier?
https://www.quora.com/Why-is-sine-shortened-to-sin

I personally use "sin()" when writing mathematical equations, and "sine" when writing in a sentence as you do here, which I believe is a common style here in English speaking countries, at least. From that quora page, it shows that "sine" is actually a non-mathematical word in some countries, so it makes sense that they might not use it to mean a sinusoid function there. While I don't have a CTEK charger or even an oscilloscope, I do know a lot, including how to work the google machine.

Not really interested in shooting holes in all the less clearly explainable errors in parts of this discussion. Just fact checking the fact check.
19psi (08-24-2022)
Old 08-24-2022, 07:31 PM
19psi
Burning Brakes

Received 161 Likes on 111 Posts

1. It's 2022, anyone can Google SIN wave and see what comes up. Please stop trying to save face.

Your battery is a AGM, it requires a SIN wave charge
Explain this SINE wave charge that an AGM battery requires. What is the frequency that's best for an AGM battery? At what reasonable timebase do we see this sine wave? Answer this and cite a source or please don't bother going any further.

3. I'm willing to take one of my scopes out in the garage and do tests. I'll test it on the Cayenne, another test on an inexpensive Harbor Freight maintainer, a 40+ year old 15 amp charger, a new Stanley 15 amp with AGM setting....and I even have a NOCO Genius to compare with (which you should be familiar with as you own one).
You WILL tell me what settings to enter into my scope (will post photo below) and where to attach probes, along with engine on, engine off, charging and not charging.

4. You do the same tests with your scope, post them here and we'll compare results.

I'll start:

Cheapest of the cheap, a less than $10 Harbor Freight battery maintainer on a motorcycle battery.
Timebase is 5 µs/division and pretty much a flatline with slight noise. Certainly no sine wave and also no square wave as you said cheap chargers output.

NOCO Genius 2. Regular 12 volt setting on the same motorcycle battery. Same timebase.

NOCO Genius 2 on AGM setting. Same battery and same timebase. Still NO sine wave.

And so no one thinks I'm making things up, here are the two chargers I used.

I can also use my 4 channel scope to confirm results if need be.

The following 6 users liked this post by 19psi:
oldskewel (08-25-2022), PepperLuv (12-01-2022), Petza914 (08-24-2022), phatz (08-24-2022), Philip Tan (10-31-2022), slavie (08-24-2022) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)

Quick Reply: Trickle Charger?