Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Project: 2006 CTTS

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2022, 04:31 PM
fortysixandtwo
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Add coolant vent lines under the intake manifold, and probably coolant line for the alternator to your list. I found both of these lines disintegrated on my 05 CTT when doing a cooling system overhaul.
Old 09-10-2022, 08:19 AM
reyxlp
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

In case it helps and you haven't come across this thread yet:

https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...ggestions.html

When I was trying to figure out what to do, I found a lot of great information posted by Brainz and J'sWorld, among others, on "what to do while you're in there" and specifically if it does turn out to be a bad valve. From this thread and searching other posts by the two of them and also searching bore scoring, I found a few very detailed rebuild/replacement threads with photos etc that may be of interest to you.

I'm glad you're going to bring her back to life and let me know if I can offer any more info on her history while we had her.

Good luck!
Old 09-12-2022, 11:54 AM
theprf
Race Car

Received 1,900 Likes on 1,210 Posts

Hi Rey! The engine definitely has burned exhaust valves on cylinder #4.

A used V8 turbo engine. It's not perfect, the timing cover has been removed and resealed (poorly) with black permatex. Leakdowns are good though so we'll go with it.

I was concerned about getting the Cayenne into my workspace. The alleyway through the warehouse is only 8" wider than the truck. Made it OK. My Maxjax picked up the 5000+ pound beast with no trouble.

Pulled a bunch of stuff off the top. The wipers were easy to remove with a gear puller.

Removed the front wheel liners. About average accumulation of silt in there. I'll pull off the plastic triangle later and use some chassis black in there to treat the rust.

Passenger side intercooler was a snap to remove. Driver's, not so easy. About 20 ounces of oil drained out of the lower hose. I was prepared with my pail. This thing has the biggest sway bar I have ever seen.

And here's where I left off. That blasted clip on the driver's side radiator mount to the metal bumper bar... I hope that's the worst thing to remove.
I have ordered up about 1k worth of O rings, gaskets, motor mounts, hoses, and who knows what else. I also found the steering rack is shot, leaking hydraulic fluid from both ends.
Despite being much bigger, this is much more difficult to wrench on than my 996 Turbo.
I'll be back at it in a few days.
Old 09-12-2022, 04:25 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 329 Likes on 264 Posts

Removing the driver side clip is easy. I posted a video a while back how it's done, the guy that made the video is on here. Putting it back, at least for me, took patience, the use of a helper, and painters blue tape..lol.

https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...-teardown.html

Last edited by TRINITONY; 09-12-2022 at 04:28 PM.
Old 09-14-2022, 01:51 PM
reyxlp
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by theprf
Hi Rey! The engine definitely has burned exhaust valves on cylinder #4.

A used V8 turbo engine. It's not perfect, the timing cover has been removed and resealed (poorly) with black permatex. Leakdowns are good though so we'll go with it.

I was concerned about getting the Cayenne into my workspace. The alleyway through the warehouse is only 8" wider than the truck. Made it OK. My Maxjax picked up the 5000+ pound beast with no trouble.

Pulled a bunch of stuff off the top. The wipers were easy to remove with a gear puller.

Removed the front wheel liners. About average accumulation of silt in there. I'll pull off the plastic triangle later and use some chassis black in there to treat the rust.

Passenger side intercooler was a snap to remove. Driver's, not so easy. About 20 ounces of oil drained out of the lower hose. I was prepared with my pail. This thing has the biggest sway bar I have ever seen.

And here's where I left off. That blasted clip on the driver's side radiator mount to the metal bumper bar... I hope that's the worst thing to remove.
I have ordered up about 1k worth of O rings, gaskets, motor mounts, hoses, and who knows what else. I also found the steering rack is shot, leaking hydraulic fluid from both ends.
Despite being much bigger, this is much more difficult to wrench on than my 996 Turbo.
I'll be back at it in a few days.
It's very cool to see her in such great hands and on her way back to being road worthy again.

When I was hoping to go the used engine route myself, besides not being able to afford the labor costs or do it myself, I was also concerned about cylinder bore scoring in going the used engine route.

In case you haven't yet, you might consider ruling out any scoring issues in the used engine prior to install and also taking preventative measures after.

It seems to be more of an issue in 955s than many are aware, myself first and foremost, until the second opinion.

https://flat6innovations.com/cylinder-bore-scoring/ ("Diagnosis")

LN Engineering and I think also 928 Motorsports have a lot of info on their sites, too. Plus threads here, of course.

Apologies if you've already looked into all this, just hoping my loss = your gain.
Old 09-15-2022, 11:24 AM
theprf
Race Car

The used engine route is not without a bit of a gamble that the engine is in good condition. This one looks acceptable. It could last 500 miles or 50k miles. If it fails again I will just replace it again.
Old 09-18-2022, 09:28 PM
theprf
Race Car

Default Second ground strap?

I keep reading about disconnecting the "second" ground strap. I have disconnected the ground strap at the alternator and I cannot find a "second" ground strap anywhere.
Am I missing this somewhere?

Quick Reply: New Project: 2006 CTTS