Sponsored by:

Black steering wheel with sand beige interior

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2022, 05:27 PM
thesteve
Burning Brakes

Received 162 Likes on 126 Posts
Default Black steering wheel with sand beige interior

Just bought this. At $45 on eBay I couldn't resist.
The reason I was looking was that my old one is totally worn smooth. No grip whatsoever and I tried scuffing it up with the magic eraser and more... it was a lost cause and lots of the dye was gone (made worse by my scuffing attempts).
I actually started driving with at least one leather glove even in the summer because my hands are kind of tired over the years from working with them so much I guess.

I looked at a photo from the web to try to picture it and I think it'll work since there's already some other black accent colors scattered here and there.
Hope it's an easy job. If anyone has any tips I'll welcome them. Of course I'll disconnect the battery first, and then I have an airbag reset tool...
Pretty excited.

Correction: Havanna Beige.

Last edited by thesteve; 07-30-2022 at 06:44 PM.
Old 07-31-2022, 09:30 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,772 Likes on 4,310 Posts

If you disconnect the battery, you shouldn't need the airbag reset tool, but good you have one just in case. There are some YouTube videos that show you how to position the wheel to reach the release clips.
Old 07-31-2022, 01:31 PM
thesteve
Burning Brakes

Ok cool.
It's funny, back when I first bought the pig, a guy at a Sears Auto Center said they don't replace Cayenne batteries and offered the dubious reason that a tech once was replacing a battery in a Cayenne and all the airbags in the car spontaneously deployed.
I remember telling him that sounded a bit far-fetched, but in the back of my mind, I'm always waiting for that sucker to go off in my face. Ha.
Old 07-31-2022, 05:09 PM
19psi
Burning Brakes

Received 161 Likes on 111 Posts

I would follow whatever procedure Porsche recommends. Most airbag systems have some sort of backup power, so disconnecting the battery (or batteries if you have one in the trunk) won't be enough. You may need to pull a specific fuse or leave the battery disconnected for a certain amount of time to be safe.
Static electricity is also enough to trigger one.

My Geo with a 1989 build date has an energy reserve module designed to deploy the airbag incase the battery is disconnected during an accident.
Old 07-31-2022, 06:14 PM
thesteve
Burning Brakes

Good idea. I checked and the manual says to wait 1 minute after disconnecting the battery.
Found a youtube vid and a pictorial writeup and I'm less worried now.

But I just realized, I won't be able to go by any alignment marks since it's a replacement wheel. Hopefully I can eyeball it with the teeth somehow.

Last edited by thesteve; 07-31-2022 at 06:20 PM.
Old 08-01-2022, 01:13 AM
hopsis
Pro

Received 188 Likes on 128 Posts

Airbag connectors are designed so that when You open and pull the connector out, it shorts all the pins at the airbag together. That way there is no chance of static, or any other form of, electricity making any voltage differential to different poles of the igniter. Just take the battery off first and then start removing the steering wheel, that gives more than enough time to be on the safe side regarding any error codes.

You may have to do a steering angle position sensor adaptation afterwards though. It's not a difficult process but it can scare You if You get ABS and PCM faults after the swap and don't know about it.

Last edited by hopsis; 08-01-2022 at 01:18 AM.
The following users liked this post:
thesteve (08-01-2022)
Old 09-18-2022, 08:56 PM
thesteve
Burning Brakes

Default All Done

Old wheel.

Nice and new-ish.

I was able to use an inspection mirror to minimize the guess work.

Here are screen shots of a youtube video to remember which way to pry.

You need to move the spring quite a bit. Too bad I scratched the leather below.

In order to have enough room to move the spring enough, you have to undo the top plastic part. I wasted a good deal of time before realizing this.

Oh yeah, the service manual says to use a 3mm hex key with a ball end. This was helpful getting the spring started, but IIRC I had to use this awl to move it the whole way.
I forget... I had a bunch of screwdrivers...they can't be too long.

I disconnected the battery and let it sit for at least a minute as per the service manual.

I marked the shaft... it wasn't really necessary since if you notice, there are landmarks that you can eyeball, like the rectangular plug at the top. It will be level with the rectangular hole. Also the two round holes below will be aligned only when the teeth are where they should be. On second thought, maybe that part could have moved independently of the shaft (?). Either way, there are square sections within the hole of the shaft you could use to eyeball things.

Happy to use this torque wrench I got for a steal. 50 Newton-meters. Don't tell anyone but I reused the screw but reapplied some locktite blue.

Got a PSM fault when I reconnected. Had to reset the steering angle sensor. I did this easily with my iCarSoft PORII thing. I didn't have to drive or anything... just moved the wheel back and forth some while still in park.

I am totally loving the new look. It goes very nicely with my black paint. It's like I have a new car! I'm very happy. Maybe I'll get some black floor mats to continue the theme.

Last edited by thesteve; 09-18-2022 at 09:25 PM.
Old 09-19-2022, 04:21 PM
cjesse444
6th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did my wheel as well. The only think you're missing is buy the wheel button overlays in black, mine looked like yours.
The following users liked this post:
ekstroemtj (09-20-2022)
Old 09-19-2022, 07:20 PM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by cjesse444

Did my wheel as well. The only think you're missing is buy the wheel button overlays in black, mine looked like yours.
wheel button overlay source link would be handy…

I need a replacement bottom silver “triangular “ trim piece…anyone every find a source for just that piece?
Old 09-19-2022, 07:59 PM
thesteve
Burning Brakes

+1 on that link, although if it's the pricey buttons themselves I'm ok.
My scratches don't bother me. Mine's almost 20 years old and nothing is perfect on it. Actually I was thinking of maybe trying touch-up paint.

Yours definitely looks nice, though.
Maybe I should have gone that route since my main motivation was a better grip. I never did like the fact that I can't turn off the SW heater in the winter when unwanted, so loosing that might not be a deal breaker.
I think my leather is a slightly better match visually to what's around it.

Last edited by thesteve; 09-19-2022 at 08:03 PM.
Old 09-19-2022, 09:58 PM
cjesse444
6th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/162597690450...mis&media=COPY
Old 09-19-2022, 10:19 PM
thesteve
Burning Brakes

Hmm. Thanks. Definitely good looking results.
It's funny how the seller tries to claim his are somehow not from China but just more expensive with faster shipping.

Quick Reply: Black steering wheel with sand beige interior